Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Me Again Guys.

Mazzlebizzle

Premium
Media
First Name
Matty
Just a couple more designs. Thought Id go back to starting off small with neotraditional and traditional tattoo design. Hopefully become more elaborate as I keep drawing! What do you guys think of these? Ill post further designs in this same thread for critique. Thank you

Attachments

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Looks really nice to me, but I'm not the right person to give critique on neotraditional. Like the very bold lines however :)

Mazzlebizzle

Premium
Media
First Name
Matty
Thank you for your feedback. REALLY want to get really good. I suppose the thing is to just keep drawing.

TexasPT

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
draw the same thing on paper...I have trouble with the digital. it all looks "fake" to me...but then again I'm OLD. I just can't see it translating to skin. I do however realize I'm probably wrong about that.

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
draw the same thing on paper...I have trouble with the digital. it all looks "fake" to me...but then again I'm OLD. I just can't see it translating to skin. I do however realize I'm probably wrong about that.
I have the completely same feeling about digital work. I think one problem is that a lot of digital work IS fake, in the sense that people Google for motifs and put them together and voilà "my new drawing, what do ya think guys?!". NOT SAYING THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE DOING @Mazzlebizzle, but a lot of others are.

Of course there's no way to stop it, but it puts me off quite a bit nevertheless. It would be totally okay to me, if there were a distinct difference between art made by a person - digital or nondigital - and these "google compositions", but there isn't.

I never get impressed by digital art any longer, instead really good digital art makes me wonder if it's real or fake.

And yes I DO use procreate on my iPad and I LOVE it :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread @Mazzlebizzle !

TexasPT

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
so now I'm looking at it more intently. On the apple things that stick out are the line weights are the same on the apple, the flowers and the cherries even though they sit at different depths. There are highlights in shadows and on both sides of the apple and cherry but none at all on the blossoms. On the rose there are highlights on leaves from every direction and as you get deeper into the folds the shadows go away...

I feel conceptually it's a good start...but with all the tricks available to digital drawing more isn't always better. I really would like to see it drawn out on paper and see what your version looks like. It would be interesting.

and this is me totally nit-picking. I don't know the rules on neo traditional...I'm critiqueing 100% based on gut feeling when I look at the art. I don't think they are wrong...this is just what goes through my mind when I look at them. Just my .02 on what I'm looking at.

Mazzlebizzle

Premium
Media
First Name
Matty
Guys really big thanks for your feedback! I get what you mean by motifs etc dont get me wrong I use images for reference as Im just not good enough to remember how to draw stuff from memory. I know some can. Just years of repetetive drawing I guess. Also I absolutely agree in the digital thing. I think anything digital looks terrible especially when its flash thats made for skin. I much prefer raw materials too! Maybe digital is good to sey it up ready to be transferred to watetcolour/pencil etc. Looking at these drawings I realise they arent correct in terms of lighting. Im just trying really hard to loosen up get past the encroaching OCD the further into the draw I get. Anyhow, another for you!.....

Goldwingdaz

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Daz
keep working at it, everyone has their own style, you draw what you feel inside, anything else is simply conforming to rules and not being individual. all your great tattoo artists are individual and place their own interpretation of things, that is what makes them great.
When you have a design you want for a reference, it doesn't necessarily mean you will tattoo it the same, it is just your guide. Your needles and your mind will do the work, not your ipad ;)

The traditional art is where you decide to fit yourself, but try to keep to minimalism to be neo trad', study the likes of Sailor Jerry, or more recent work by Doug Hardy and Anette LaRue.

Patch72

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Russ
Check out George Burchett,he was doing work like this 60yrs ago as tradintional tattoos even portraits,it’s a interesting reading.neo-trad ain’t new just been tarted up my a few in the industry

TexasPT

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
i dig the bird...
and I dig not following rules...

I hope my critique didn't sound like a knock at your skills...you definitely have some!

balooka

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Jay
Digital work is not that bad a thing, I do it every day for work and your work looks nice.

But my experience is that, for me, it has REALLY messed up my drawing skills when I started out with the digital stuff (decades ago). I could draw or paint anything I saw or imagined on to paper; portaits, comics, stills... but when digital came along I quickly went that route because it was so much more flexible... layers, undos, no ink or paint, nu rulers and no more pencil Smudges... and also no more use of handdrawing skills. Took me a while to figure out that digital, even with the Intuous boards, limited me more than I would have ever imagined... just my two cents, you’re doing great!

Mazzlebizzle

Premium
Media
First Name
Matty
Digital work is not that bad a thing, I do it every day for work and your work looks nice.

But my experience is that, for me, it has REALLY messed up my drawing skills when I started out with the digital stuff (decades ago). I could draw or paint anything I saw or imagined on to paper; portaits, comics, stills... but when digital came along I quickly went that route because it was so much more flexible... layers, undos, no ink or paint, nu rulers and no more pencil Smudges... and also no more use of handdrawing skills. Took me a while to figure out that digital, even with the Intuous boards, limited me more than I would have ever imagined... just my two cents, you’re doing great!
Thanks dude. I dont like the outcome of digital really. It's too flat when it comes to flash designs. I think I may invest in a printer and perhaps a lightbox. do everything digitally then take it to raw material, see how it compares. Thanks for your feedback buddy.

Mazzlebizzle

Premium
Media
First Name
Matty
So, just finished up a couple of designs. A neotraditional frog and a traditional ship and kraken. I think these would look super on skin if im honest. And if very self critical at that. Of course theyre not perfect, but I feel a small improvement on previous attempts and designing tattoos. Any feeback appreciated

Attachments

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
I agree, they look better. More depth. Might be due to more effort on shading, and overall more effort.