Meetup?

Hightower

Premium
First Name
Kerry
I'm the kind of person that learns best by looking over someone's shoulder rather than reading from books. Don't get me wrong, books have been my single source of information for tattooing until signing up here, but it's better to learn first hand I feel.

So, I propose this. A meetup somewhere for the following:

1) For members to get first hand advice from those further down the learning curve of becoming a tattoo artist.
2) For members to have a chance to tattoo other members, sort of convention style.
3) For a laugh with people who feel the same about this area of art.

After speaking with a member from here in the chat room, he tells me this has already been attempted (and failed). So the purpose of this post is to gather opinions on whether something like this could be worthwhile, and whether people would be interested.

Personally, I think it could benefit beginners like me so much, and with such a friendly community of people willing to pass advice on (unlike so many artists I've spoken to who want to keep it all a secret) I think it could be a great and worthwhile event - one that I'd be willing to travel the length of the country for.

I'm just riffing ideas, but we could maybe hire a central location somewhere for everyone to meet. We could have 'tattoo workshops' carried out by the sites more experienced members, a general gathering so we can chat about our own experiences and advice, a chance for some suppliers to sell some goods, and then top it off with a night out.

I'm not proposing a massive convention though - there's already conventions for that. I'm more proposing something more aimed at a general meetup and a chance for beginners to get some much needed guidance.

What's other peoples thoughts on this? Would this interest you? Would you be able/willing to travel? Would you be willing to 'buy a ticket' (completely not for profit, just so we would have somewhere to meet) if needed to rent a location for the day?

(and apologies if this is just a dumb thought altogether!)

Remove Ads

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Its a good idea but if you rent a venue then I think you will need EHO approval and temporary licence, waste arrangements etc, I dont think they would grant a licence to some unregistered amateur tattooists.

I think Mark Fretwell from New Image talked about setting up a similar thing once at his licenced premises but sadly nothing came of that.

Hightower

Premium
First Name
Kerry
Its a good idea but if you rent a venue then I think you will need EHO approval and temporary licence, waste arrangements etc, I dont think they would grant a licence to some unregistered amateur tattooists.

I think Mark Fretwell from New Image talked about setting up a similar thing once at his licenced premises but sadly nothing came of that.
So what might be a solution? Possibly lending a back room in a pub? Or would it just not be possible with most of us being 'amateurs'?

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
If you search the forums, you can have a day with a pro in Sheffield for *£120 for a 1 to 1 8hr days training.
www.utat2.co.uk . He is called Andy (AJ)

Just type utat2 into the search bar :icon_mrgreen:

steveo9441

Premium
First Name
Steve
It sounds like a great idea and I would be willing to travel for a meet up :)

Hightower

Premium
First Name
Kerry
It sounds like a great idea and I would be willing to travel for a meet up :)
What would you like to get out of a possible meetup though? Would you just literally like to meet up, or do you want to gain advice from those in the know, given the chance to tattoo others, have a night out with some?

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I love the idea but I don't think the part about tattooing each other is a good idea unless it was in a registered premises, you have to think about health and safety and the back room of a pub or a rented room just wouldn't meet the criteria, you could meet up and use practice skin or piggy, without braking the law and still go out for the evening.

Hightower

Premium
First Name
Kerry
I love the idea but I don't think the part about tattooing each other is a good idea unless it was in a registered premises, you have to think about health and safety and the back room of a pub or a rented room just wouldn't meet the criteria, you could meet up and use practice skin or piggy, without braking the law and still go out for the evening.
I like the pig skin idea - perfectly legal, and could possibly be turned into a competition.

Hightower

Premium
First Name
Kerry
Unsure of location yet. Just trying to get a general picture of how many would be interested, and what they would like to 'get' from the event (i.e. some tips, a laugh, a competition etc etc).

Once that's been sorted and we have a good estimate of numbers then we'll pick a location depending on one of two things I would have thought.

1) Easiest for everyone to get too. (i.e. if 1 is interested from manchester and 10 from london then it won't make much sense to hold it in manchester)
2) Where can we get? (i.e. will it need to be hired, or will a local venue like a community building or pub let us have lend of their facilities - for example, if it were to be held in my home town (which it probably won't be) then I could probably wangle 2 or 3 different venues free of charge)

Keep the interest coming over the next couple of weeks. Give me ideas about anything - locations/things to do at the event etc, and I'll try my hardest to get everything sorted to suit everyone.

Once I've a complete picture of who's interested we can then start to arrange the rest :)

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
I know a very nice man,who has a tat shop in Cardiff !!!!!! :icon_mrgreen:

Hightower

Premium
First Name
Kerry
Haven't been able to access this thread at work, blocked for some reason. So now I'm on laptop at home for once can I give it a quick bump and see if there's any more interest?

@jamesb - I heard on the grapevine you might be able to help us out a little. Care for a chat sometime?

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
hey high tower ;) i may be able to help catch me on chat ;)

Mojo

Premium
First Name
Paul
I'd be up for it, sounds like a great idea. I'd love to meet up with others who are in the same boat as myself. there's always more to learn.