Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

More Procreate Questions

marked 4 life

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
Palm support if my hand rests on the screen then the pen will not work, I have to float the pen so my hand is not in contact with the screen, if I do rest my hand then I sometimes leave marks where my hand has been, palm support is set at Standard is this normal or is there a setting to prevent this.

2 finger swipe If I do rest my hand on the screen then the page sometimes moves about due to 2 finger swipe, can it be avoided.

Neat lines Is it only practice which creates a nice neat line or is there a tidy up tool, I know how to tidy up a straight line.

marked 4 life

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
My daughter has just had a go of my iPad mini and stylus and compared it to the iPad Pro which she uses at the tattoo shop she works in, she said on the mini there is no control and it is near impossible to do a clean line compared the the iPad Pro, I can see the value in procreate for tattoo design use so the conclusion is that the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil is the way to go so I better start saving :(

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
My wife said she would buy one for my birthday :) but that's in August :(

whippet

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Solo
Have you checked in 'devices' (under the spanner icon) to see if palm rejection can be switched on with your particular stylus. I have some memory of this, could be wrong. Thinking back I did buy some cheap cotton gloves with the Wacom stylus so maybe not. Try the gloves.

For smoother lines turn up 'streamlining' in the stroke section of the particular tool.

Parrington21

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Ben
Palm support if my hand rests on the screen then the pen will not work, I have to float the pen so my hand is not in contact with the screen, if I do rest my hand then I sometimes leave marks where my hand has been, palm support is set at Standard is this normal or is there a setting to prevent this.

2 finger swipe If I do rest my hand on the screen then the page sometimes moves about due to 2 finger swipe, can it be avoided.

Neat lines Is it only practice which creates a nice neat line or is there a tidy up tool, I know how to tidy up a straight line.
I saw someone use it and the had some thin cloth gloves with the thumb index and middle finger cut off so only the ring and pinky were covered and the glove stops the palm from touching the screen

JP

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
James
i think this thread is going to get very popular :D

JP

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
James
I'm a huge fan of the ipad pro and procreate...makes designing so much easier and making changes is a piece of cake once you get the hang of organising your layers

marked 4 life

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
The only thing I would like to improve on is my line work whilst drawing, at the end of every line I end up with a tiny curl which I have to go back to at the end and remove with the eraser to tidy up, it is obviously how I lift the pencil at the end, I have tried the end line taper function but doesnt help, anyone else find this?

JP

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
James
The only thing I would like to improve on is my line work whilst drawing, at the end of every line I end up with a tiny curl which I have to go back to at the end and remove with the eraser to tidy up, it is obviously how I lift the pencil at the end, I have tried the end line taper function but doesnt help, anyone else find this?
i guess it could depend on a few things;
1. Try adjusting the sensitivity of your ipad in the procreate settings
2. It could just be the pen tool you're using, a lot of the stock pens are pressure sensitive so tend to taper out at the ends...I downloaded a pen called 'radhappy monoweight' which keeps a consistent weight regardless of pen pressure making it easier for smooth consistent lines

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
Well got me new toy and pencil she's a lovely bit of kit ,just started playing with procreate Just messing about with the functions ect and watched a hour long tutorial,I think it's going to take a bit to master just like picking up the tattoo machine for the first time

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
I saw a good cheat for adding colours ,so I went to the eternal web site and screen shot there colour swatches and different colour collections ,then went on procreate and added that picture to gallery ,then used the colour matching tool to make new colour pallets of the actual ink colours

Parrington21

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Ben
Finally got my iPad Pro with pencil so will see how it works out. Must of watched 100 videos on you tube looks like you need to get the hang of off the little tips and processes.

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
If I would buy iPad Procreate, is there something to think of/be aware of/avoid or anything else? I already have an iPad (2-3 years old) - will I be able too use that for procreate or do you think it would be too old?

Last edited:

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
I not sure but I think the pencil only works on the newer iPad models

JP

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
James
@Dazza thanks for the colour palette tips, i did this with my starbrite set the other day ;)
@MalligaMallan although procreate does work with the standard ipad i don't think it works very well compared to the ipad pro, when you get into a fairly detailed piece with several layers etc you need the processing power of the pro to deal with it, i've read a lot of complaints from people that procreate crashes a lot on the regular ipad

LR18

Premium
First Name
Dan
Is there Android support for this app or something similar?

Even if I could afford their prices I wouldn't pay £99 for a stylus o_O

LR18

Premium
First Name
Dan
I checked it out earlier .. It's exclusive to Apple. I'm sure there will be something similar for Android. If not a good quality graphics tablet and Photoshop on the laptop would do the job nicely.

Parrington21

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Ben
Well after my iPad turned up with a bend in it, like WTF and arguing with he guy, I finally had a go at using it, just did a simple ish design I have drawn already, came out pretty cool. So much to learn using digital art. Layers and layers and layers!!! Really want it to learn portraits but I'm super shit at them

Attachments

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
I finally got me the procreate app. Think I'm going to LOVE this.

Strange really though, doing everything to make the pen draw like a graphite pencil :LOL:

I'm getting the irritating little hook in the end of every line. @marked 4 life did you find a way to get rid of them?

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
And what about the "slow start" you get every time you put the pencil on screen? Really annoying. To avoid it I have to press really hard from exactly the moment the pencil touches the screen, but I can't draw like that. It's to odd. There must be a setting for this?

marked 4 life

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
I still occasionally get the "hook" the best way I found was to make the page and piece bigger (2 fingers on screen and spread to increase size) this makes the lines more manageable and also when using the eraser to clean up the hooks, I aren't sure what you mean by slow start, are you using iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, I customised many settings to do what I wanted.

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Yeah, i'm looking through and playing with different settinggs a lot atm, but none of them have changed the "slow start". By that I mean that when I start drawing no line shows until after 2-3cm. And then it's light in the beginning and then gets darker. I want it to work like a graphite pencil=when i put it on the paper it shows from beginning when moving it on paper.

I'm using ipad pro and apple pencil, yes.

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
All of them. (But 6B pencil and HB pencil is what I want to use)
20170825_195923.jpg

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Actually it didn't work as good with the pencil as it did with my finger, but I watched a tutorial tonight, shortly after I posted the comment above and there he showed it. It was as easy as "Pressure/Opacity", but it shall be set in the middle, not to the right or the left as I did every time when trying.
20170906_005532.jpg

dirtnail

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
Just a little funny, stolen from Dan Kubin's instagram... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JP

JP

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
James
Has anyone upgraded to procreate 4? I'm a little nervous to dive in as i've heard some rumors that there are a lot of bugs with it..

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Where do you see what version you have?

#EDIT: Found it. I have 3.2.4

#EDIT2: Read about it. Obviously a freezing problem. Sounds really frustrating. i wouldn't update till they fixed it.

Last edited:

JP

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
James
Where do you see what version you have?

#EDIT: Found it. I have 3.2.4

#EDIT2: Read about it. Obviously a freezing problem. Sounds really frustrating. i wouldn't update till they fixed it.
Some of the guys on that facebook group (tattooers and procreate) were talking about it

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Seeing all these digital designs - I don't mean only on here, but everywhere - I wonder if people draw at all or just copy and paste?

Patch72

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Russ
Seeing all these digital designs - I don't mean only on here, but everywhere - I wonder if people draw at all or just copy and paste?
That's the difference between a tattooist and a tattooist

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
That's the difference between a tattooist and a tattooist
Aah yes, I really hope you're right about that. I'm a bit disappointed though tbh, at first I actually thought people wanted to draw themselves - and did, only in procreate instead of on paper.

JP

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
James
It's all about how you use reference in my eyes...some people draw the same image over and over until it's ingrained to the point where they can draw it anywhere anytime, some like to have the reference in front of them and copy certain elements, you can even do this with tracing paper, now with procreate you can just layer it and trace straight over...I think all these methods are on a par (obviously the first one requires a lot more time and dedication) all require creativity to make something special and original. The real talent is those people that can draw amazing crazy fantasy objects that there is no reference to go off but somehow still look like they could exist...

Jerry7297

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
So I am waaaayyyy late to this party. I will be getting a iPad Pro in a couple of months. So is it best to have a Apple Pencil? Or are there other preferred penciles out there???

JP

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
James
I can't comment on the other pencils out there but after years of using apple products i would suggest you get the apple pencil, their products work so much better together than any third party products/accessories (i could be wrong in this case though if anyone else has experience)