Moved from SA to UK for More Tat Opportunities

miss sophie

Premium
First Name
Sophia
Hi guys,

I'm so glad I found this site! I moved here from South Africa to get more opportunities to learn, it has been really difficult to try and get an apprenticeship, and after 3 years I still don't have one..all of the places I have spoken to want crazy amounts of money! So I will carry on learning from here, hoping to get some luck someday :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers

Remove Ads

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
Hi and welcome to the site. You'll find lots of useful information and help here.
Rachel

miss sophie

Premium
First Name
Sophia
Thanks for the welcome :) I've only been a member for a few days and have already found so much helpful information!

Will post some of my drawings and practice tats soon...

Sophie

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi and welcome, you in the best place to learn because there are so many members who are happy to give you all the advice you will need. Traditional apprenticships are very hard to come by and you would probably spend more time cleaning equipment and the studio rather than tattooing. They can also be very expensive, as you are already aware. Get some pig skin from Morrisons or a butcher and practice as often as possible. Even if you do get an apprenticship in the future you will at least be familiar with all the proceedures and also be well on your way already to becoming a tattoo artist. Good luck.:icon_biggrin:

miss sophie

Premium
First Name
Sophia
Thanks Patrick,it is so refreshing to speak to some nice people! I was so upset after moving here and not being able to even speak to anyone about tattooing. The most annoying thing was being told being a tattooist is hard work and i need to show how serious i am... I was thinking yes i know that, and thats why i left my country, family and friends to try and do things the right way! Any way rant over, im just glad i found you guys! :)

steveo9441

Premium
First Name
Steve
Hiya Sophie

Welcome to our site, it's the best place to be and everyone one here are really helpful. Getting an apprenticeship is an impossible task and one that I personally don't think is needed, if you are reasonably good at art and follow all the steps required including areas of first aid, bloodbourn pathegens, hand hygiene, skin disinfection, decontamination of equipment etc, this is a good starting point to be a good tattooist.
Tattooing is traditionally taught under 'informal' apprenticeship schemes and if your lucky you just might learn something about making coffee and cleaning.
Basically at the end of the day some of these people got together and formed an industry called the TPI (Tattooing & Piercing Industry Union) which is a voice for their operators.
They have rejected a proposal for a formal college-based platform for tattooing and piercing training, though they acknowledge that poor practices are in this area.
Some of these guys started out as we are from home, in the garage where ever
and I have seen some very dirty shops, how these guy's get away with it I will never know.
You are in the right place which is here, where there is lots to learn ;)

miss sophie

Premium
First Name
Sophia
Hi Steve,

I completely agree with you, I have seen some shops that are worse than toilets! I have been "studying" for 2 years, and have done a blood borne pathogens certificate, and have a collection (about 100) of art how to books that I have studied. The thing that worries me the most is that in London, when applying for a licence they want your qualifications which is your experience...so if I cant get an apprenticeship, what experience would I put down..:icon_sad: So yeah, cant get work as an apprentice, and cant work as a tattoosit cause i wont be able to get a licence...

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Hi Sophia, welcome to the forum, i think you have been misinformed about qualifications, i have a friend who operates in london and for him to get his registration was the same procedure as any where else in the country.

regards
Tony

miss sophie

Premium
First Name
Sophia
Hi Tony,

I spoke to a specific council in London, maybe they are just being full of it. Here are some of the actual words from the council when I asked about a licence: I will need documented proof about any qualifications that you may have such as proof of working as a tattooist, first aid certificates, infection control etc.

Could you perhaps let me know what they asked your friend to do his licence?

Thanks for the reply you have renewed my hope! :)

miss sophie

Premium
First Name
Sophia
Oh yeah forgot to mention - I know it says "experience you may have" but when i spoke them personally the woman was being very clear that it is not likely they will give a licence to someone without working references...

lordbaalnox

Premium
First Name
Lee
I'm with you guys on this one, apprenticeships are not formal, they carry NO academic qualifications, NO accreditation, your tutors have NO formal teacher training and your likely to be being taught by someone who is self taught in the first place unless your extrememly lucky.....

You can take formal qualifications in related subjects which your licensing council will take a formal training when you apply for a license (ps my council is even looking into licensing me to work from HOME, something I have never heard off)

Qualifications that can be taken at college or distance learning online:-
BBP/CC course http://www.proinfectioncontrol.co.uk/en/
Health and Saftey In the Work Place http://www.tutorcare.co.uk/Health-and-Safety-Training-Courses.html?gclid=COezvOq0p6wCFRRc4QodGDCR-g
First Aid at work 5day course http://www.1stresponsemedical.co.uk/courses/
Anatomy & Physiology http://www.naturalhealthcourses.com/anatomy.htm

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Welcome sophie, you will love this site and you will always get help, the people on here are the best, looking forward to seeing some pix.x

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Welcome Sophia,glad to have you on board,any tat related questions you might have,just ask away......:icon_cheesygrin: