My 1st Attempt.

butchsbeetles

Premium
First Name
paul
hi guys well after getting my nice kit from killer ink and having a play my partner talked me into trying it out on real skin, so after a 1st attempt with shaking hands i did the outlines using a 3rl
2nd day i used a 5rs to colour in and shade.
my question is are these to small as they didnt seem to pack in much ink.
i have orderd some flat shaders size 5 and 7 to see how these compare.
the design i used was no overly detailed and was drawn onto the skin freehand and did not use and stencils so shading and colours was just copied from sight as was the design.

Havering-20110926-00210.jpg

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
Hi Paul,

I would not of touched the tattoo the next day, I would of left it for at least 2 weeks to heal, I presume you are well up on cross contamination etc and are only using disposable tubes, needles, disposable ink caps etc, if you are new and couldnt wait to use your kit I would urge you to stop and research first, join this site as a premium user and download the training manual which covers just about everything including blood borne pathogens and cross contamination as well as correct setting up and use of the equipment.

If you are trying to learn on your own as you go with out any guidance it will seriously hinder your progress and you could cause skin damage, infections etc.

Regarding flat shaders, incorrect use will serious harm the skin, stick to rounds until you get the technique down.

I dont want to come over as a know it all or to preach right and wrong but we are all learning and trying to shake off the dirty no knowledge scratcher image that many people have of us.

butchsbeetles

Premium
First Name
paul
thank you.
i did use disposable tubes and needles. made sure that the area was wipped down first and have done research on cross contamination etc.
i have looked and got different answers in how to set up a machine and needle length etc but i have been using fruit to practice on and to make sure im not to deep.
the more info and help is much appreciated.
i will be joining as a premium member asap as im very interested in the manual and any more info i can get my hands on.
thank you for the comments i will hold off for now untill ive done some more practice on fruit and fake skins to get my line work and shading better.

butchsbeetles

Premium
First Name
paul
i used Kashoku inks, came with the kit from killer ink.
not sure why its not to bright, the pale blue infill didnt take to well and looks likes really faded will wait till its healed and try go over it again.

skinpix

Premium
First Name
Mark
Hey Paul,
The lines don't look to bad mate,need more practice on shading & colour....
How much practice have you done on fruit & fake skin ?? have you tried pig skin ??

butchsbeetles

Premium
First Name
paul
the lining came out well apart from i may have used to small a needle as i used a 3rl and should have tried a 5rl.
i was using fruit but have just bought some fake skin and pig skin so im going to practice some more on shading and filling as its these am having issues with,
i have bought some 5flats and 7flats that im going to try on the pig and fake skin.
i have been over and over the manual and im sure the machine is set up tho im not sure if my needles was in as deep as they should be. the manual and other advice i had says to set your needles at a 2mm depth but i find i cant see the trace lines so i had them out a bit further so i could see the needle working and just help the machine a bit higher so i wasnt going in to deep.

Patrick

Premium Gold
First Name
Patrick
Hi Paul

That's pretty good work mate keep practicing and all will be ok. I still use Kashoko ink because I have some left from my original kit which I bought from Killer Ink. I find it quite good the red is very good. I have been replacing it with Eternal Ink which is really good and they have a good range of colours. The falt needles are great for shading, but be careful when using them as they can cause damage to real skin as already mentioned. Check the depth your needles are set at with the machine running as this is more accurate than pressing down on the A bar. For the first few months I set my needles at 2mm and then rode the tip across the pig skin. Now I set the needle a bir deeper but just use the tip as I can see where I'm going much easier this way. However I only do this when lining and set a 2mm for colouring and some shading. I usually do about 3 - 6 tattoos per week depending on what size they are, but still practice on pig skin regulary as well.

petrolhead19

Basic
First Name
adam
Thats not bad that, i agree you might of been better with a 5rl, i always use a 5rl for lining unless its detailed or a big tattoo.
Also agree about the magnums dont use them untill you get use to rs's can do some damage with them.