My "carved" Technique ( PIC HEAVY )

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Hi all, awesome site!
Firstly, I didn't come up with this style, its is just my technique for achieving this look.
Heres some examples of some of the pieces ive done using this technique:

Slipknot Logo

Korn Logo

I took progress pictures of the Mushroomhead logo piece and ill show you what i did:

Firstly this is a picture of the basic outline stencil:

Using a 5RL i blood-lined the whole piece and then darkened the lines closest to the piece's imaginary light source (in this picture, the top left corner). Then (using a 5RL) I added dark shading coming off these lines finishing just past the center of each component of the logo:

Apoligies for the poor picture quality of this next one, but here you can see ive finished the black and gray shading. Its important to shade around the outline but leave a gap of untouched skin around 3mm. Because skin his elastic qualities this gives the illusion the skin is retracting upwards and back from the 'wound'. I then darken the shading where this 'retracting skin' isn't attached to intact skin, making it look like these places are lifting more. I hope that makes sense :icon_mrgreen:

Then, using the 5RS and a 11RS i went through and added the red. I use Kuro Sumi Dragon's Breath Red. I left some areas as bare skin as this gives the illusion of flesh and muscle and filling it all red would end up looking a little too cartoony.
Then I gave it a spray of dettol and it was complete:

Overall this piece took me around 3 hours. I hope this has been helpful, all comments and criticism is welcome and if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask here or PM me!

Thanks for looking,
Steve

simon1983

Premium
First Name
Simon
Love it mate, :icon_cheesygrin:

Brilliant detail again, good to get a step by step guide to how you have achieved this effect. and the shading does make it look realistic how it's been done to.

Well done mate might have to give it a go, i am only a beginner but i'm only on pig skin so if i mess up at least i'm not goin to be scaring anyone!!

Keep it up.

simon

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Love it mate, :icon_cheesygrin:

Brilliant detail again, good to get a step by step guide to how you have achieved this effect. and the shading does make it look realistic how it's been done to.

Well done mate might have to give it a go, i am only a beginner but i'm only on pig skin so if i mess up at least i'm not goin to be scaring anyone!!

Keep it up.

simon
My pleasure mate, glad you liked it! Be sure to post pics if you give it a go, it really is much easier than it looks!

Xaphaniel

Premium
First Name
Robb
Thanks for this i have been looking around on the net for this sort of thing as in Flash but i guess can use what i have in my collection and add the inner shadows to it its a very smart tattoo style i wanted to add into my portfolio for tribal work

much appreciated Xaph

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Steve

Thanks for the info it's very helpfull
No worries, I'm glad it helped!

Thanks for this i have been looking around on the net for this sort of thing as in Flash but i guess can use what i have in my collection and add the inner shadows to it its a very smart tattoo style i wanted to add into my portfolio for tribal work

much appreciated Xaph
Glad you like it mate, be sure to post pics when you're done!

Thanks for looking,
Steve