My First Attempts to Tattoo.....

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
After reading all the books and taking my tattoo gun apart and rebuilding it over and over again, I felt it was time to attempt using it......

This one went wrong; I kept missing lines, wobbles here there and everywhere and some points don't meet. I just used this piece to practice lines and filling.....

I then tried some more today and here's the results; slightly better but still mistakes..... I tried to do posterized cherries but the stencil won't come off so kinda ruins it. The stencil won't come out of the star one either.....

The rose isn't really meant to be a tattoo, I just used it to practice effects I wanted for the other two tattoos.....

Close up of the star.....

Close up of cherries; started going wrong as the skin started shedding part-way through the tattoo.....

Remove Ads

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Thats very good work for your first tattoo, the star is particulary good. Keep practicing and things will get easier.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Thanks Patrick and Steve, means a lot coming from you guys..... I was a little worried these were going to go horribly wrong being my first go, but I am quite proud of the star.....

I wanted to do more work on them, especially the star, but the people in the flat upstairs came home and I was a little worried the machine was too loud, so called it a night.....

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Looks better than my first attempts...nice job! If your interested Ill tell you what i did for practice to sharpen up. I took the absolute most difficult thing i could find and that is what i basically started doing. I found designs with tons of line work both long straight runs and tight curves, then I would do gray washes and experiment with different shading techniques till I was satisfied with the overall look of things...I also tried to use as many different needle groups as possible to get a feel for them all and what they do best.
All in all your doing well. I know how difficult those stencils are to come off, believe me i have scrubbed the Sh#t out of some of my work and it still was there up till I threw the darn thing out!!!!!!

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
I agree with Mike. I like to put a stencil down that makes me think "holy crap I've bitten more off than I can chew here" that way if I get anywhere near it I'm proper happy.
As Mike says to improve my lines I try and choose designs that have big long curves in to challenge myself.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Great job considering you are new to tattooing, i think you will agree with me when I say white doesn't really work in large areas, you will be forever going over it, I agree with the others about the line practise but also the shading can make or break a tattoo, if you get 4 large ink caps and put 1 drop of black in one, 2 drops in the second, 3 drops in the third and 4 drops in the fourth and just practise with them on the parts of the piggy that you don't use, it will give you a better understanding of how to shade and if you can use a 5 or 7 mag, you will see a big difference in your tattoos with good shading.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
For some reason, I find straight lines alot easier than curved lines but I always thought before I started that it would be the other way round..... You can see in the first one I tried, that I missed curves completely and made the whole tattoo look distorted......

I've got a day off tomorrow so I think I'm going to find, or freehand some complex vine -or something with plenty of curves anyway- and just cover the piggy in it, really go to town on it until I started getting it right......

Also, for grey washing, how big do the cups need to be?? I think mine may be way to small for that drip:water ratio to work......

Thanks guys :D......

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Those little #9 tiny cups wont work well,....correct. It will be more of a pain than its worth..been down that road. I ordered some #16 cups..(I think that was the size) and they are just about perfect for custom mixing and what not....