My First Few Tattoos

maggot

Premium
Media
First Name
colin
IMG00018-20110219-1717.jpg IMG00020-20110226-1632.jpg IMG00024-20110306-2235.jpg IMG00025-20110310-1912.jpg completly fed up with skins so have started on mrs and self they are in order had no brown and green so will do that soon

Remove Ads

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hey Colin,
some nice tatts - braver than me, as yet to go onto skin. The butterfly/flower is nice - lovely colour in the butterfly. Will be good to see the koi finished - overall not bad at all apart from a couple of wobbles :thumbsup:

maggot

Premium
Media
First Name
colin
IMG00030-20110320-0908.jpg IMG00032-20110325-1828.jpg IMG00029-20110320-0907.jpg IMG00033-20110325-1828.jpg Heres another one done on the wife and an update on the koi still need to add some colour but leg was sore

Laughing Buddha

Premium
First Name
Ben
Dude is that your balls hanging out on the koi pic? Nasty:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Laughing Buddha

Premium
First Name
Ben
Appart from some shaky lines it looks really nice. Love the butterfly one and the scales on your koi look pretty good. I do think you could have spent a bit more time drawing out the scales and teh flowers on your gf's koi tat. Hope you don't mind me saying.

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
WOW.....Listen I don't want to sound like the bad guy so I'm going to go about this nicely.

1. Your linework is extremely shakey, and inconsistent.
2. Your colorwork/fill has more holidays than the U.S calendar.
3. Your going way above and beyond your limits.

You need to slow way down, and crawl before walk. Get some fruit and practice your lines first, until you have a nice solid consistent lineweight. Once your confident with this, "Do it some more". Then post pics of your outcome and let us critisize/appraise that before you move on. I know you want to go at it balls to the wall right off the bat, but it's permanent. The bad thing is, your girlfriend now has to walk around with a less than stellar tattoo (that can be fixed) because you jumped the gun. You now have to walk around also with a tattoo that isn't up to par (also can be fixed). You tried to cover an old tattoo, and went about it the wrong way. Cover-ups aren't about going over a tattoo with a larger darker tattoo. It's about creating an illusion. It's about averting the eyes away from the old tattoo with a new focal point. For your sake, and others, slow down and start with small basic solid fill designs. Make sure they are solid without overworking the skin. Study and learn where you went wrong, and how you can improve...

BlazeAlot

Basic
First Name
Chris
WOW.....Listen I don't want to sound like the bad guy so I'm going to go about this nicely.

1. Your linework is extremely shakey, and inconsistent.
2. Your colorwork/fill has more holidays than the U.S calendar.
3. Your going way above and beyond your limits.

You need to slow way down, and crawl before walk. Get some fruit and practice your lines first, until you have a nice solid consistent lineweight. Once your confident with this, "Do it some more". Then post pics of your outcome and let us critisize/appraise that before you move on. I know you want to go at it balls to the wall right off the bat, but it's permanent. The bad thing is, your girlfriend now has to walk around with a less than stellar tattoo (that can be fixed) because you jumped the gun. You now have to walk around also with a tattoo that isn't up to par (also can be fixed). You tried to cover an old tattoo, and went about it the wrong way. Cover-ups aren't about going over a tattoo with a larger darker tattoo. It's about creating an illusion. It's about averting the eyes away from the old tattoo with a new focal point. For your sake, and others, slow down and start with small basic solid fill designs. Make sure they are solid without overworking the skin. Study and learn where you went wrong, and how you can improve...

I was waiting for the REAL criticism to hit. Everyone else seemed to just be being nice. The lines look very "scratchy" looking on the eagle, and the black fill in wasnt packed in tight enough. Start with a ROUND shader, stay away from mags/flats in the beginning(from my experience). When you do lines, do LONG consistent lines. Not short shaky inconsistent lines! It takes a FEW WEEKS of practicing on skins and fruits to build up the needed muscles to hold the gun properly and get used to the vibration.

When I first started I jumped the gun and did pieces way out of my league and level of experience. Troubled/Texas/ and a few other guys helped slow me down, and learn the basics of laying good consistent lines and working my shading in slowly. Dont try to fit it all in on the first tattoo session either. do what you can, let it heal, then go back at it. Do NOT over work it or you will end up with scarred tattoos and tattoos that heal like crap.

Take the advice. Learn to lay smooth lines on fruits and practice skins. If your going to keep with skin then take it down a FEW notches~! Do some small basic designs, like some stars, or a diamond, a pair of dice, some small tribal work, and then work your way up to the bigger more complex designs.

Troubled told me the EXACT same thing as he is telling you , and i listened and now my work is drastically increasing! Keep up the work and just take ALL the advice you get from people here!