My Health Inspection Visit

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Spoke in depth to my local council health inspector today and was pleasantly surprised how easy going she was towards giving info to me.
I plumbed the new sink into my studio (spare room) over the weekend, and thought it was now time to take the plunge. They can only say yes or no, and if you dont try you dont get.

I downloaded a guidelines file from the Sheffield council website that is dated 2007, but she said if you can put a tick beside each of the requirements, you shouldn't have a problem

Monday 21st November is the day, so i will keep you all posted, and if all goes well, i will possibly write some sort of article on the proceedures and what is required. It may help someone one day.

Fingers crossed! :icon_lol:

Remove Ads

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
Id like to see you write about it after its finished.

Im interested in turning a room of my house into a studio. I never knew you could do that until joining this site.

Oh and good luck man! :)

Last edited:

steveo9441

Premium
First Name
Steve
Dave

Congrats with that ;)

I have a conservatory that I have kitted out as my studio and I was thinking about putting the sink in but not sure what type though. I was thinking about putting a small stainless steel basin in with a small water heater above it. Does this have to have a lever tap?
Would my kitchen in next room serve as the second sink for the dirty stuff as I have been told you have to have two separate sinks?

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Just a little update.

Today i got let down at the eleventh hour by a mate of a mate, who promised me that his business would write me a contract, saying i could take my sharps to him in a sharps container for disposal.

When i spoke to the health inspector, she said that when she comes to view my studio, i must show her a contract of waste transfer, or the application would be rejected.

This afternoon (Friday) at 3pm, bearing in mind my inspection is Monday, i got the call saying his waste licence wouldnt allow sharps. GUTTED is not the word!!

I quickly phoned the health inspectors, and they said to try Cannon Hygiene.
I phoned them, and what a great bloke i spoke to. I ended up negotiating from *£9 per week, down to *£69 per year for a quarterly sharps collection from my premises. I thought that was a really good result.
My local health authority (Sheffield), dont even insist on wipes, paper towel etc going in yellow bags as clinical waste. simply chuck it in with your rubbish. If you think there is excess blood, simply double bag it.
Piercing is a different ball game though.

Just thought i would share that. Oh, and the contract should be with me Monday, so i can satisfy the inspector on time. Good old Cannon Hygiene. :icon_cheesygrin:

Flying Monkey

Premium
First Name
Chris
Not sure being over the pond but if you buy your containers from sharps themselves they send the proper packaging to you to send them back to them for disposal.

steveo9441

Premium
First Name
Steve
Just a little update.

Today i got let down at the eleventh hour by a mate of a mate, who promised me that his business would write me a contract, saying i could take my sharps to him in a sharps container for disposal.

When i spoke to the health inspector, she said that when she comes to view my studio, i must show her a contract of waste transfer, or the application would be rejected.

This afternoon (Friday) at 3pm, bearing in mind my inspection is Monday, i got the call saying his waste licence wouldnt allow sharps. GUTTED is not the word!!

I quickly phoned the health inspectors, and they said to try Cannon Hygiene.
I phoned them, and what a great bloke i spoke to. I ended up negotiating from *£9 per week, down to *£69 per year for a quarterly sharps collection from my premises. I thought that was a really good result.
My local health authority (Sheffield), dont even insist on wipes, paper towel etc going in yellow bags as clinical waste. simply chuck it in with your rubbish. If you think there is excess blood, simply double bag it.
Piercing is a different ball game though.

Just thought i would share that. Oh, and the contract should be with me Monday, so i can satisfy the inspector on time. Good old Cannon Hygiene. :icon_cheesygrin:

Real interesting info here, thanks for that ;)
Gonna go through all this my self very soon after christmas, just wondering about the sinks as i mentioned previously, could you give me info on that plz ;)

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
I will give more info on Monday, when the inspectors have been. Until now, i am still hoping that i have done enough. All i have got is a small stainless sink, but i have hot and cold water actually plumbed into the taps.

Sheffield council seem quite laid back, but apparently things get tighter if you go into piercing etc.

I will post a full report on Monday afternoon, and if all goes well, i will post images of my full studio, so others can use it as a guide.
Hope this helps.

Ps, i'm sure the second sink is only needed if you are NOT all disposable. One for hand washing, and one for "dirty stuff"

Added this on 20/11/11.
My sink!
SDC11732.jpg

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
I Passed My Inspection

Today at 15:00pm, i officially became a registered tattoo artist!
Health inspectors have been here for a little over an hour, and i am now the proud owner of 2 certificates!
One for my premises, and one for me.
When i get a minute later, i will post the full routine in another thread, to hopefully take the pressure of others wishing to do the same.
:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Re: I Passed My Inspection

Health inspectors have been here for a little over an hour, and i am now the proud owner of 2 certificates!
When i get a minute later, i will post the full routine in another thread, to hopefully take the pressure of others wishing to do the same.
:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
Congratulations!!!

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Re: I Passed My Inspection

Congratulations Dave....well done mate.....

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Thanks you lot, it feels really good, as ive been flapping a bit.