Needle Help?? Rotary/coil

TwistedInk

Basic
First Name
Tom
Hey Guys, This may or may not be a stupid question but do rotary machines use the same needles as a coil machine or are there a specific type for each?? Any advice with regards to rotary information would be much appreciated!
Tom

Remove Ads

13crows

Premium
First Name
neil
as far as i no they use the same needles and grips tips unless your using a hawk hope this helps m8

TwistedInk

Basic
First Name
Tom
Appreciate that dude, just trying to get my head around everything! And no I will be learning with a Hildbrandt assassin for line work and the executioner for shading!! they seem to have really good reviews allround and apparently the motors are very robust so I'm hoping they will have some staying power!!:icon_cheesygrin:
Tom

13crows

Premium
First Name
neil
will have to look into the Hildbrandt assassin ,,i use the hawk for everything and love it ,,only swopped over because i got sick of rebuilding my machines and healing time is down to around a week on most sessions ,,,good luck on your rotary m8 let us no how you get on with it :icon_biggrin:

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
YES, the Hildebrants will take the same needle,tube,tip and grip as any coil machine nothing different. Also, just as a point, the rotarys are NOT set up for specific's such as one is a liner or one is a shader...both the Assassin and Executioner will line or shade. I have a Sniper Rotary (The light one) that I have for line work only due to how light it is and use my Assassin for shading. Personal preferance thats all. Oh, just a word from experience, Youll need to put a pretty good bend in the needle bar and use rubber bands pretty tight...if not that needle will rattle all over in the tube and your gonna be really upset. see my pics included.
DSCN0077.jpg I believe this has one rubber band with 3 wraps. Dont mind thos on the end I just stuck em there....

310945_272011582811910_100000092126866_1190869_4538299_n.jpg This one is my Sniper (light weight) notice that its also got 3-4 wraps of the rubber band....

Hope that helps.
viper

TwistedInk

Basic
First Name
Tom
Thanks Viper, its the simple yet vital information like that I need!! I dont suppose youve tried needle runners with yours rather than several wraps of an elastic have you?? personally I have no problem using bands or runners when mine arrives but I would value your opinion on runners if you have any experience with them? You are obviously pretty clued up as far as your machines go !! many thanks

TwistedInk

TwistedInk

Basic
First Name
Tom
will have to look into the Hildbrandt assassin ,,i use the hawk for everything and love it ,,only swopped over because i got sick of rebuilding my machines and healing time is down to around a week on most sessions ,,,good luck on your rotary m8 let us no how you get on with it :icon_biggrin:
I will post up my thoughts on them both as soon as I get them and set up for some playtime!! cheers mate:icon_cheesygrin:

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Twisted..
Sorry, I cant say that have used the needle runners...Ive just used rubber bands and for me its been working fine. Just remember like I said, a bit more bend and a few more wraps with the rubber bands and youll be fine.

viper.

steveo9441

Premium
First Name
Steve
I use needle runners and they are tops, no more elastic bands or bending needles plus the added protection from anything going down the back of the tube.
You have turn the voltage down 1 notch too as there is no resistance against the needle bar, purrs freely, smoothly and central.

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
I use needle runners and they are tops, no more elastic bands or bending needles plus the added protection from anything going down the back of the tube.
You have turn the voltage down 1 notch too as there is no resistance against the needle bar, purrs freely, smoothly and central.

Got my attention!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

TwistedInk

Basic
First Name
Tom
A few tatto supply shops sell needle runners, ebay is probably your best bet! failing that I know for sure they sell them on the hildbrandt website for sure!!:icon_cheesygrin:

graeme

Premium
Media
First Name
Graeme McKay
Looks like we both got something useful out of that! :icon_cheesygrin:
Helpful for me as well :icon_cheesygrin:
My Hildbrandts are being 'processed at customs in Great Britain' (*£*£*£) :icon_rolleyes: at this very moment.

13crows

Premium
First Name
neil
thanks for the pics and advice on the rotary viper and as for the needle runners i didnt even no about them so thanks for that guys ill be looking into that to and be ordering a rotary as my hawk needles are getting far to pricy ..

graeme

Premium
Media
First Name
Graeme McKay

steveo9441

Premium
First Name
Steve
Bought the first lot from Hildbrandt but found them also with Barber DTS so bought a second lot as they are local and postage is free ;)
They cost *£4.99 for a 100 runners

http://www.barberdts.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=needle+runners

Needle Runner

Product No: 750698

"Good Bye Elastic Bands"

This tiny piece of plastic fits securely onto your needle, helping to fill the hole between tube and needle, therefore lessening the vibration and eradicationg the need for elastic bands!

Just 3 Simple Steps: 1. Remove needle from machien and line up against grip, tip and tube. 2. Hear it click on in position. 3. Drop back into grip, tip and tube and set up machine as usual.

lordbaalnox

Premium
First Name
Lee
where is the best place to buy hildebrandt rotarys in UK? all this talk of them is making think about getting one and trying it out? also is there any downoadable information on the settings between a liner and shader for rotary machines?

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
where is the best place to buy hildebrandt rotarys in UK? all this talk of them is making think about getting one and trying it out? also is there any downoadable information on the settings between a liner and shader for rotary machines?
Yes, you only buy them from Hildebrandt website...
Rotary's are neither designated as shaders or liners..one machine performs both functions. This was 100% rotary done...no adjustments to the machines, just a change in voltage.........they work.

298916_2005550823893_1397310072_31781184_766519512_n.jpg

TwistedInk

Basic
First Name
Tom
You can get hildbrandt products inclueding rotary's on ebay as well as the hildbrandt website!
Not sure if the ebay stuff is legit but good feedback and all looks in order!:icon_cheesygrin:

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Just heard from Hildebrandt on UK orders..................

Now at checkout, there is a shipping option for orders larger than 1 kg (think weight of a power supply and up) that allows for USPS or UPS.

Hopefully, this helps you all out on some shipping costs and what not......

graeme

Premium
Media
First Name
Graeme McKay
I just paid a *£32.70 customs charge before delivery can be made :icon_eek:. Something for others to bear in mind.

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
Hi Lee, as far as I can tell you can only buy them from Hildbrandt themselves.
The knockoffs are on Ebay and Amazon, but Im not sure how good they are.

Yes, you only buy them from Hildebrandt website...
Rotary's are neither designated as shaders or liners..one machine performs both functions. This was 100% rotary done...no adjustments to the machines, just a change in voltage.........they work.

View attachment 2455
Looks good. What do you set the volts for liner/shader?