• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

New To Drawing - Line And Eye Control

learner

Basic
First Name
Hi all,

I am very new to drawing and want to pursue tattooing in the late future.

1 ) I have been practicing drawing really long straight lines but I am confused. Some people say when drawing straight lines to look at the destination point and not the pencil tip. But is this the same with tattooing? Because I heard tattooing you have to look at your gun tip. So which is the right way I should practice when drawing straight lines on paper that will also help me apply it to tattooing later on.

Where should my eyes be looking at when drawing a long straight line on paper? (share some tips)

Thanks!

Last edited:

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
You don't have to look at your tip when tattooing. There are different ways to do things, you can read and watch about as many as possible, then you try for yourself and find what works best for you 🙂

The only things you have to do when tattooing, is finding the right depth, and not overwork the skin.

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
when i paint & draw i generally look where i want to go. but i have been doing it so long the airbrush or pencil is truly an extension of my hand.

when i started tattooing i was taught to look at the needle. there is true benefit there as you really need to see your stencil line through the stretch/distortion/vibration. it's also important for judging skin condition, line saturation, angle, etc.... it gives you feedback as to if you are doing things correctly or not. that said, it is not nearly as fluid or natural for me. once my line work is finished however i tend to treat my needles more like brushes & look at the bigger picture rather than focus on the tip.

when you practice with a pencil... practice both ways... one will probably improve your drawing & the other will probably improve your tattooing.

so, i think the only true answer to your questions is... yes.

Remove Ads

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Tattooing is so different from drawing with a pencil, in my experience.

With a pencil, you try to get some good lines and get close to your reference, while when lining a tattoo, you're following a stencil.

As gasden said, i guess the more experienced you get, the more confident you are.
I'm confident with my drawing and inking on paper abilities, which helps me to focus on my depht and stretch control when i'm tattoo-lining.
Then, when my lines missed my stencil or if i lost it (erased), my drawing memory helps me to trace without a blueprint and correct errors on the fly (adapting my design).
If you're into tattoo realism, you're working on gradients so gasden with his hairbrush experience should be more confident.

So, if you're beginning, the quality of your drawings will improve your self confidence, but is absolutly not a good measure of what you can achieve tattoo-wise, it's a totally different environment.
So you could be happilly surprised or fall into a lot of challenges.

Drawing from tattoo designs which inspire you is, to me, the best thing to do, because you'll be able to understand how they're made and translate better from drawing to inking skin.

All the best in your travel, have fun!

Peace,

DKJ

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
I'd say when tattooing, instead of looking at the distant destination, look an inch or so in front of your needle. You'll be able to see the needle and what it's doing, but you're still setting a target for your hand. Focusing on the tip of any writing/drawing implement will lead to shaky marks. Most people just don't realize they're actually focusing ahead of their work rather than on their tool.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
There's also a benefit from experience when you can put your needles the exact place they should be, even with some ink hiding the stencil or previous line.
I guess it comes with the passive observation of how things work when tattoing/drawing.

So... Practice, practice, practice!

Peace,

DKJ

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.