New to Tattoing and Looking for Equipment

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
Hi guys, I'm from Portugal and I just found this site a few weeks ago and have been reading all the threads trying to learn as much as possible.
I just decided to enter the world of tattoing about a year ago, cause I've always been into drawing and painting, so I thought I'd take my skills to another level.

I wanted to ask you guys for some advice. I have been looking and asking a lot but here in Portugal it's nearly impossible to get an apprenticeship so, I wanted do get myself a tatto kit to start practicing on my own. I know that everybody says that they're no good, but I'm not thinking about tattoing anybody yet. I just want to learn, and I would like to know if you know any sites that sell good tattoo kits. I don't want that real bad chinese junk, but I also can't buy the things(machines, needles, tips, ink, etc) separetely because I don't know how to work them yet and don't have anybody to help me.
So please, i would love to hear some advice from you, because Christmas is coming and I think you know what I'm going to ask for a present! haha :icon_biggrin:

Remove Ads

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Hi Julia.

you can learn a lot from this site, and theres lots to download, like a tattoo course, flash, videos etc.
it depends on your budget, if money no option go for the best you can afford, the really cheap stuff dont last and your end up buying gear all the time, i use rotary, i bought a stealth machine and i love it. but its each to there own. if you tell us all what you want to spend we will advise you on the best things to get, then you can pick what you would sooner get. but i would say always buy your gear from site we suggest, there are lots of fake stuff about and you dont want to end up getting ripped off.

this kits not bad http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/New_1_Rotary_Machine_Kit.html

Hope this helps, and the members on here are really good at giving advice and help

Tone

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
Hi Julia.

you can learn a lot from this site, and theres lots to download, like a tattoo course, flash, videos etc.
it depends on your budget, if money no option go for the best you can afford, the really cheap stuff dont last and your end up buying gear all the time, i use rotary, i bought a stealth machine and i love it. but its each to there own. if you tell us all what you want to spend we will advise you on the best things to get, then you can pick what you would sooner get. but i would say always buy your gear from site we suggest, there are lots of fake stuff about and you dont want to end up getting ripped off.

this kits not bad

Hope this helps, and the members on here are really good at giving advice and help

Tone
Hi Tony, thank you for the reply

I dont' know if I prefer a rotary or a coil machine yet because I haven't tried any of them yet, but from I've read about the rotary stealth machine, they sound nice because of their weight and the fact that they don't make noise. It would be good because I would probably have to practice at night time and I have a lot ow roomates that wouldn't be very happy with it. But then I wouldn't mind at all trying a coil machine since they're the first and original ones i guess.

My budget could probably go up to 200-250 EUROS. And I need to also have in mind the shipping costs since I'm from Portugal.

Now, I also would like to know if it isn't better to buy a kit with 2 or 3 machines, for lining and shading and filling. Because I seem to notice that the kits with 2 coil machines cost the same as one with a rotary machine. Does that mean that it's easier to do all the things with the rotaty or would it still be better to have more than one?

I want to thank you so much for helping me. Everybody here seems very nice and helpful and I will definately be learning a lot from you guys and the courses and videos on this website. :icon_cheesygrin:

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi Julia

Welcome to the site. Firstly I would look on the internet at the various tattoo suppliers and get an idea of what's available and and at what cost. There are lots of different kits available, but I would recommemnd buying from a genuine supplier rather than the chinese kits from Ebay. I bought my kit about a year ago from Killer Ink for approx *£150, the kit had everything I needed to get started and I still use some of it now. The machines are coil types shader and liner but they are only very basic and are not particulary good, however I used mine for about 8 months whilst I was practicing on pig skin and they never broke down. It is only since buying much more expensive machines that I realised the difference, my machines that I now use are made by Glyn Flew and are really good but they cost more than the entire kit. You can spend anything from *£10 to *£300 for some coil machines and top of the range rotarys will cost even more. Supertatz sells some decent machines for around *£40 each (see the thread on the forum) as well as other items you will need. Some of the members use Hildbrant kits and they seem really good, so maybe worth checking out their website, I think they ship to anywhere. I would suggest that you become a premium member so that you can download the training manual as this will tell you everything you need to know to get started as well as imporant information regarding blood pathogens and health & safety etec etc.
Hope this helps. Good luck and any questions just ask via the forum and remember to post your work for us all to see.

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
Hi Julia

Welcome to the site. Firstly I would look on the internet at the various tattoo suppliers and get an idea of what's available and and at what cost. There are lots of different kits available, but I would recommemnd buying from a genuine supplier rather than the chinese kits from Ebay. I bought my kit about a year ago from Killer Ink for approx *£150, the kit had everything I needed to get started and I still use some of it now. The machines are coil types shader and liner but they are only very basic and are not particulary good, however I used mine for about 8 months whilst I was practicing on pig skin and they never broke down. It is only since buying much more expensive machines that I realised the difference, my machines that I now use are made by Glyn Flew and are really good but they cost more than the entire kit. You can spend anything from *£10 to *£300 for some coil machines and top of the range rotarys will cost even more. Supertatz sells some decent machines for around *£40 each (see the thread on the forum) as well as other items you will need. Some of the members use Hildbrant kits and they seem really good, so maybe worth checking out their website, I think they ship to anywhere. I would suggest that you become a premium member so that you can download the training manual as this will tell you everything you need to know to get started as well as imporant information regarding blood pathogens and health & safety etec etc.
Hope this helps. Good luck and any questions just ask via the forum and remember to post your work for us all to see.
Thank you so much Patrick!
I have looked quite a lot already but without feedback it was very difficult to know which ones were good and which weren't, that's why I asked for help here.
With your suggestions I actually found some interesting kits.
I think I'm going for a rotary machine. But can you tell me which is the difference between rotary and stealth rotary machines? I found these two kits that I like, but why is the one with two rotary machines a lot cheaper than the one with only one stealth rotary?
http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/New_1_Rotary_Machine_Kit.html

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-rotary-tattoo-machine-starter-kit

Thank you again guys!

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Check out my Reviews of the Hildebrandt equipment. Its my Personal Preference, but I researched for a LONG time before deciding on what equipment to purchase and what kit gave me the best value for my money. I also didnt want to make a huge commitment on something I was unsure of.
I chose the Hildebrandt, I now own 5 of their machines (coil AND rotary) bought like 3 of their kits, and they all work perfect..no complaints.

Heres my Review on their website:
http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/tattoo-supplies-blog

good luck.

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
Check out my Reviews of the Hildebrandt equipment. Its my Personal Preference, but I researched for a LONG time before deciding on what equipment to purchase and what kit gave me the best value for my money. I also didnt want to make a huge commitment on something I was unsure of.
I chose the Hildebrandt, I now own 5 of their machines (coil AND rotary) bought like 3 of their kits, and they all work perfect..no complaints.

Heres my Review on their website:
http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/tattoo-supplies-blog

good luck.
Hey Mike, thanks
Yeah the Hildbrandt kits look really good, i'm very interesting in the one with the two rotary tattoo guns.
But my problem is that to ship the to Portugal it's another another 113USD! It's crazy! The kit costs 139.. so it's nearly the price of the damn kit! I don't know what to do.
It is still all together around 200ââ*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ but I was just thinking that maybe for that money I could order a more expensive kit from a shop in the UK cause the shipping is a lot less.
Is it really worth it to pay that much for the shipping?

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Hey Mike, thanks
Yeah the Hildbrandt kits look really good, i'm very interesting in the one with the two rotary tattoo guns.
But my problem is that to ship the to Portugal it's another another 113USD! It's crazy! The kit costs 139.. so it's nearly the price of the damn kit! I don't know what to do.
It is still all together around 200ââ*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ but I was just thinking that maybe for that money I could order a more expensive kit from a shop in the UK cause the shipping is a lot less.
I wouldn't be paying that much for shipping, that seems absurd...... It may work out cheaper sourcing everything separately; the power supply, guns etc etc can be found further afield (and may be locally)...... And you could certainly find things like needles, inks and other stuff locally for a lot cheaper (may be even with free delivery)......

I thought about getting a kit for around *£150, but then decided against it and got everything separately..... I spent nearly *£100 extra, but I got stuff that will last longer than what's usually found in a kit.......

I think it's worth a look.....

graeme

Premium
Media
First Name
Graeme McKay
Hey Mike, thanks
Hi Julia, I was shocked at the shipping cost on their website as well but I e-mailed them and they came back with 60USD shipping to the UK, that's for the rotary starter kit at 139USD...so I ordered it :icon_cheesygrin:.
Hope that helps.:thumbsup:

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
Hi Julia, I was shocked at the shipping cost on their website as well but I e-mailed them and they came back with 60USD shipping to the UK, that's for the rotary starter kit at 139USD...so I ordered it :icon_cheesygrin:.
Hope that helps.:thumbsup:
Hi Graeme!
Yeah I was very shocked as well and still considering to maybe buying it because everybody talks so well about the Hildbrandt kits and machines.

So after you sent them an e-mail the shipping price came out to be less?
I will send them an e-mail as well to see what they say.
I have some friends in the UK, maybe if it's cheaper then to Portugal, I can ask them to ship it to my friends!
:icon_wink:

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Hi Graeme!
Yeah I was very shocked as well and still considering to maybe buying it because everybody talks so well about the Hildbrandt kits and machines.

So after you sent them an e-mail the shipping price came out to be less?
I will send them an e-mail as well to see what they say.
I have some friends in the UK, maybe if it's cheaper then to Portugal, I can ask them to ship it to my friends!
:icon_wink:

Yes, Definately call them and see what they can do! Also, if you like you can customize the kits. I had one kit with the Heavy duty Rotary and the Light Weight rotary....you can get any machine you like with the kit just need to call and let them know.....excellent folks to deal with! Hope that helps!!!!

As a last resort you might want to check Ebay for the kit...Ive seen them there before and shipping might be much less that way....Good Luck!

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
..............just as a follow up. I sent them a email as well inquiring as to shipping and seeing what can be done to get the prices a bit lower. I shall let you all know when I hear back!

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
..............just as a follow up. I sent them a email as well inquiring as to shipping and seeing what can be done to get the prices a bit lower. I shall let you all know when I hear back!
Thank you so much Viper.
I have been talking by e-mail with them and so far they told me that there are two ways of shipping. The safest one is u.p.s which is around 113$ but there is another one which is u.s.p.s and it is about 60$ but if the package gets lost they won't send me another one, and some packages did get lost before.
So I don't know...

Ahm another thing, on their blog I only see reviews on the coil machines, there's nothing on the rotary. And I cant' decide, I'm going crazy, if i go with the coil machines kit or go for the rotarys. It is my first kit, so maybe I'd probably better start with the coil, but I feel that the rotary would be more suitable for me. What do you think?

Last edited:

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
I was thinking of maybe getting the Hildbrandt Professional tattoo kit system, with the 3 coil machines, but istead of the 2nd shader to get a rotary instead. So this way I could try both of the machine types in one kit.
I sent them an e-mail already. Going to see what they think.

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Thank you so much Viper.
I have been talking by e-mail with them and so far they told me that there are two ways of shipping. The safest one is u.p.s which is around 113$ but there is another one which is u.s.p.s and it is about 60$ but if the package gets lost they won't send me another one, and some packages did get lost before.
So I don't know...

Ahm another thing, on their blog I only see reviews on the coil machines, there's nothing on the rotary. And I cant' decide, I'm going crazy, if i go with the coil machines kit or go for the rotarys. It is my first kit, so maybe I'd probably better start with the coil, but I feel that the rotary would be more suitable for me. What do you think?

Well, If your asking for an "opinion" Ill give you mine freely...
Personally, I would choose whatever "Tool" works best for me. School of thought is that we should all learn how to use a coil machine. Coil machines have alot of moving parts that more oft than not need "Tweaked", if you like tinkering with something, maybe coils are your cup of tea. Coils have thier own unique ways about them and and are wonderful machines if you know how to keep them working properly, if you know what it takes to make them run properly, and if you understand how to set it up properly. There are probably a dozen different combinations to set up a shader machine with different spring configurations, armature bar configurations, the list goes on and on.
In steps Rotary machines. You have ONE machine for lining and shading, there NO real steps to take in setting it up, its a plug and play machine in the most literal sense. The moment you receive a Rotary you plug it in and you are tattooing. Its your basic jail house machine that has been refined with a pretty case.
You will always have your die hard, nostalgic folks who claim that the coil machine can never be replaced, and for me thats fine, if your comfortable using a coil machine by all means continue. Youll see many top artists use both coil and Rotary machines, it really boils down to what fits your need and style best. As well...just starting out, not making HUGE investments you want a quality machine at the best possible prices. So its really your call on what you get, Coil or Rotary, Ive used them both and I am in NO MEANS a professional, I dont even consider my self and amature, just person interested in tattoos.
I got my daughter a kit that had a Coil liner, and Rotary machine. I felt she should at least be able to tattoo with either one confidently.

Heres what i did with a Rotary Machine, and could produce the exact results with a coil. My recomendation? Call them and when you order get a Coil AND Rotary machine....they will customize your kit just for you...

good Luck!
298916_2005550823893_1397310072_31781184_766519512_n.jpg

Attachments

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
Well, If your asking for an "opinion" Ill give you mine freely...
Personally, I would choose whatever "Tool" works best for me. School of thought is that we should all learn how to use a coil machine. Coil machines have alot of moving parts that more oft than not need "Tweaked", if you like tinkering with something, maybe coils are your cup of tea. Coils have thier own unique ways about them and and are wonderful machines if you know how to keep them working properly, if you know what it takes to make them run properly, and if you understand how to set it up properly. There are probably a dozen different combinations to set up a shader machine with different spring configurations, armature bar configurations, the list goes on and on.
In steps Rotary machines. You have ONE machine for lining and shading, there NO real steps to take in setting it up, its a plug and play machine in the most literal sense. The moment you receive a Rotary you plug it in and you are tattooing. Its your basic jail house machine that has been refined with a pretty case.
You will always have your die hard, nostalgic folks who claim that the coil machine can never be replaced, and for me thats fine, if your comfortable using a coil machine by all means continue. Youll see many top artists use both coil and Rotary machines, it really boils down to what fits your need and style best. As well...just starting out, not making HUGE investments you want a quality machine at the best possible prices. So its really your call on what you get, Coil or Rotary, Ive used them both and I am in NO MEANS a professional, I dont even consider my self and amature, just person interested in tattoos.
I got my daughter a kit that had a Coil liner, and Rotary machine. I felt she should at least be able to tattoo with either one confidently.

Heres what i did with a Rotary Machine, and could produce the exact results with a coil. My recomendation? Call them and when you order get a Coil AND Rotary machine....they will customize your kit just for you...

good Luck!
Thank you Viper! You've helped me a lot.
I am going to order a kit with two coils (a liner and a shader) and a rotary. That is the perfect solution for my problem and this way I can try and learn with both types of michines.

Thank you everybody so much for all your help! :icon_cheesygrin: