New to Tattooing...need Some Assistance :)

First Name
Dale Aaron Percival
Hey there everyone I apologize in advance for being a newbie and I imagine there's going to be alot of information and such that I will not know so bare with me haha.

Right, I'm going to be starting sort of apprenticeship style work placement at a tattoo shop near by and the time has come to be looking at equipment.

So first things first, the machine.... I'm not entirely sure what to look for when looking for a tattoo machine. As I'm only a beginner anyone got any recommendations?

Same goes for the other stuff really (power supply etc).

Any help would be great!

Remove Ads

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
hi dale :D
ok not sure why you appologiseing for tbh lol every1 got to start somewhere ;) u say your doing an appretiship at a shop??? can i ask why your mentor aint pointing you in the right direction?+in a way why aint you asking him his advice :icon_confused: lol,,,, if you are in an apprentiship you obviously know the tattoo game is for you so thats a big help ;) i think if i was to go back to the start of my journey i would deffo side step the "kits" and buy individual components ;) get yourself 1st off 3 quality machines "liner,shader,packer" then your power supply components "power supp,clipcord,footswitch" then i gues depending on your situation if you have acess to an autoclave decide if you are going to use disposable grips and tips or stainless steel setup if your still working on piggy" get yaself a set of "imortal inks" or similar (cheap) but would advise you upgrade your ink wen you move on to "real skin" ;)
dude dont appologise for asking questions its how we learn and progress :D fire away with any questions and im sure if i cant help you some 1 on here will every1 keen to help each other on here dude ;)
p.s welcome aboard dude :D

First Name
Dale Aaron Percival
Thanks for the reply :)

The reason I'm asking on here about the machines is mainly because the two artists in the shop use different machines....one prefers rotary where as the other prefers the coils.

I've held both and both are comfy to me so I was hoping some advice on here may help me decide which way to go haha.

As for the kits, I was looking at getting a kit but then with much research into it I've seen alot of people saying that it's better to just get the gear separately so I think thats the route I'll be taking.

I've mainly been looking at two sites online killerinktattoo.co.uk and thetattooshop.co.uk so in regards to any suggestions if its on those two sites would be great ;D.

I've been reading on inks and such and it's amazing how many people prefer such wide varieties when it comes to preference of brand for certain colours etc. I'm dreading the ink choice stage D: ha!

Thanks for being very welcoming...some other forums are not as friendly which is the reason for my apologies lol.

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
i guess with rehards to coil vs rotary its just a case of personl prefrence both have there pros and cons ;) with regrds to ink just get a 1/2oz set of good quailty inks from repitable sourse, tattooshop and killerink are good supplys also barber dts, powerline supplies just kinda recomend staying away from ebay for ink and be carefull with other cheapo sites ;) pritty much if you a post up wht you plan on buying, tattoo wise im sure some1 will link you up with a good info were to get and give you advice ;) it all part the learing journey dude enjoy it ;)

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
Welcome aboard an grats on starting a life in the world of Tattooing . I'm from the states so not much help on where to get equipment for you but i do agree with jamesb on the ink an the pref on rotory an coil mach's . Good Luck on your new life an ill help anyway i can :icon_cheesygrin: :icon_cheesygrin: Ed :icon_cool:

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Hi dale, Welcome to the forum mate,with regards to machines,its all personal preference im affraid,so its just a matter of trying different machines to see what works for you,if its a light machine you want,go for a steel frame,the only draw back is that they vibrate quite a lot & can make your hand ache.....iron frame machines do not vibrate as much,but are obviously heavier,so take some getting used to.Have never used rotary so cannot comment on them....as for the kit idea,its where most people start...what i will say is,you get what you pay for,so i would avoid getting a cheap one,that's if you are going to get a kit !!! if you are starting an apprenticeship,the guy teaching you should be giving you plenty of advice like this,?? but saying that,its good you are here,you will get lots of help here.:icon_cheesygrin:

First Name
Dale Aaron Percival
My "mentor" is giving loads of advice but it all ends up being playful banter between both the guys at the shop when ever we get on the subject of what machine i should buy haha, it's a lovely funny place to be lol.

Has anyone heard of or used any of the Damascus Steel Tattoo Machines? I've been looking at these and i've heard one or two reviews but not enough to really go by lol.

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Hey Dale,

i am the same a s you new to it all, but i went for a stealth rotary, as i have never use a tattoo machine and read they are easier to set up, and less to go wrong, so i went for the easier option lol, and there not as noisy, but i think its best to have both and then go with what you feel you get on with.

The people on this site are very helpful and will go out of there way to give you all the advice you need, but you should get it from your mentor or they may wonder why your not asking them before you buy.

Happy Tattooing

First Name
Dale Aaron Percival
Don't worry before I commit to buying I'll be running everything by my "mentor" :).

I can't wait to get going...atm I'm having to practice using his old liner, not sure what the model is but has SOOOOO much vibration and SOOOO heavy haha so hopefully I can get one no so heavy and not as much vibration.

I'll post some pictures of my very first practice piece when I do it. At the moment I'm mainly just doing lines that he's drawn out for me to do so that I get the hang of how the machines feel....it's fun lol :)

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
Welcome Dale...

I think there are two ways to look at it when contemplating kit.... cheap and nasty at first knowing you are going to have to upgrade soon after, or big outlay and be prepared to either use it or sell it off if you need to upgrade later....

Since beginning I have chopped and changed machines in my search for what suits me so I am glad I progressively went from cheap to expensive. In fact I have built up a machine stock of 3 coil, 6 Stealth/Blackcat, and 1 x Cheyenne Hawk... Jury is still out on the Hawk but I doubt I will ever return to coil as I love the Stealth and Blackcat rotaries.

I will be selling off some machines and a power supply soon, just waiting on a friend to take first pick. He only wants pick of Stealth so I have some coils up for grabs.[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]
Snake Charmer Liner/Shader (used 2x) cost *£30.95, sale price *£15.00 from KillerInk
Gold Skull Liner/Shader (used 2x) cost *£31.95, sale price *£15.00 from Killerink
Black Panther 10 Coil (never used) cost *£19.99, sale price *£10.00

I am glad I chose cheap at first because I would be out of pocket even more if I had bought expensive Coils.... this was the same with Inks - I went through all the range of black lining ink before knowing that Kuro Sumi was my baby, and for colour Moms and I have an understanding.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

First Name
Dale Aaron Percival
That's really helpful actually thank you!

Everyone so kind on this forum :) haha

I think what I'll do is not go like cheapest but not too expensive and just see how well it treats me really :) I'll have a look round now and I'll post the equipment list of what I'm thinking about getting shortly so I can get opinions :). Then of course I'll run it all by my "mentor".

Thanks guys!

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
My "mentor" is giving loads of advice but it all ends up being playful banter between both the guys at the shop when ever we get on the subject of what machine i should buy haha, it's a lovely funny place to be lol.

Has anyone heard of or used any of the Damascus Steel Tattoo Machines? I've been looking at these and i've heard one or two reviews but not enough to really go by lol.
with "damascus tattoo macine"- damascus all that is, is were the steel the machine is made from is were it came from ,,,damascus :icon_biggrin: its pritty difficult to recomend a machine to someone just starting out becuase what mite work for me say, wont nessiserily work for you as skinpixs said its a trial and error thing im affraid that applies to coil machines and rotary machine as theres many variations in both machine type ;) you can by a machine for *£6 off ebay spend *£15-*£20 change up a few part and tune it and have yourself a real nice machine but dont recomend this or spend 2-300 on a branded machine and not get on with it in short yull probly go thought a few machines before you find your "babys" its part the process ;)

gazza

Basic
First Name
gary shaw
Cheers guys :)

I'm wanting something not too heavy. Any suggestions?

Also in the rotary vs coil....what are your views?
go for a rotary mate. ther is a machine called rotary works great machine
if you want any info let me know

gazza

Basic
First Name
gary shaw

yes stay a way from them machines

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
First Name
Dale Aaron Percival
I would prefer rotary, I tried one of the guys at the shops rotary and I prefer the weight and how they feel. I'll probably still use coil for certain things? but rotary for me as much as possible :)

First Name
Dale Aaron Percival
Theres loads of cheap kits on ebay and I was wondering are the power supplies still usable? cause if so I might buy a cheap kit which includes power supply and few other accessories and such and then just buy better machines.

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Theres loads of cheap kits on ebay and I was wondering are the power supplies still usable? cause if so I might buy a cheap kit which includes power supply and few other accessories and such and then just buy better machines.

Most power supplies that come with the kits are a waste of time,buy a descent one.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy

JuliaK

Basic
First Name
Julia
Hi, I wanted to know if you got a machine already.. I'm interested to see which one you finally chose and if you're happy with it. Cause I'm looking for a machine or tattoo kit as well and I'm completely lost!
:icon_wink:

First Name
Dale Aaron Percival
Hi, I wanted to know if you got a machine already.. I'm interested to see which one you finally chose and if you're happy with it. Cause I'm looking for a machine or tattoo kit as well and I'm completely lost!
:icon_wink:
Just noticed I didn't get chance to update this thread!

I have got all my equipment now! :D Everything is going great.

Equipment so far:
Stealth copy rotary machine ( now dead)
Hildbrandt machine ( set up as liner)
Kraken machine ( set up as shader, works nice much to my surprise!)
Generic small digital display power supply ( not sure whats going on with this atm!)
Eternal Inks
Sabre and black panther needles ( usually 5rl/5rs/7rs/9rs/9mag/11mag/13mag)
moms clipcord and machine bags
disposable grips w/ tips
round "star" foot pedal
Talons Pallino clip cord

Thats the important stuff really :)

Djones02021985

Premium
First Name
Daniel
Hildbrant do some nice machines, especially rotary machines. I personally use Hoodlum coil machines and they're awesome. Glad you got things sorted though mate.

chunkymonkey

Premium
First Name
Ian
Dragon tattoo at wakefield make machines up if thats any good for ya, not sure if they do rotary's though, just a thought as its on your doorstep.