Numbness in My Thumb...

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
My Brother in-law asked me to do a tattoo on him even though I'm still new to the whole game. He gave me a design and said "You need to Practice don't you?" .... It was a big Maori Tribal.

Anyway, Did the line (very wobbley) and started the black fill, but didn't finish as it was 5 hours later and his pain thresh hold was at it's peek.

Anyway, When I finished up I noticed my thumb tingling and it felt a bit numb. Still feels a bit the same this morning. Is this what they call White Finger? (It's not white though) Is it something I need to worry about?

Remove Ads

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
You could of been gripping the grip too tight or you may need to try one of the rubber gripped disposable tube/grip assemblies such as pin up brand or if using steel grips you can get a slide on rubber grip cover which acts as a shock absorber, a friend of mine has to use these.

maggot

Premium
Media
First Name
colin
like andy said you could have been holding too tight or it could be that your just not used to tattooing for 5 hours at a time, nothing to worry about just yet tho

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
Big phew. Yeah the tips I use are disposable ones. I must admit i did find myself holding the tube quite close to the bottom. Just under the barrel bit, the tip...

Yep, not used to five hours... Was surprisingly very tired after :) How do people do it for longer, all day-wise?

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
i still get the same thing a numb finger only mine swells up to after a loooong session but fully worth the tingly fat finger ;)

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Have you thought about trying some bigger grips, I have just ordered some 1" pin up tubes to try, I find if I use the small 1/2" grips I grip them until my knuckles go white lol!

Next time try wrapping some micropore tape around the grip to increase the size just to see if it makes a difference.

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
Have you thought about trying some bigger grips, I have just ordered some 1" pin up tubes to try, I find if I use the small 1/2" grips I grip them until my knuckles go white lol!

Next time try wrapping some micropore tape around the grip to increase the size just to see if it makes a difference.
Yeah I use the 1" grips. I'll try the wrapping of the tape see if that helps, thanks. Or maybe I should remember to hold it by the grip and not so much at the bottom...

I'll give both a go :)