Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Opinions on Dragonhawk Machines for beginners?

Gina

First Name
Gina
Just bought a Dragonhawk rotary tattoo kit off Amazon. Never picked up a gun in my life but excited to explore this new medium. Wondering what the professional's opinions are?

Remove Ads Close

Jerry7297

Donator Plus  
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
Some dragonhawks seem to be a little better than most knock off Chinese machines. What one of their machines did you get?

NewlineTa2

First Name
Joseph
I particularly like the dragon hawk pen. I have the nee Mast pen and it's a gem. I know that don't help you much but I will say that I used coils for years and as long as you can tune it you can get good results from just about any kind of coil machine. Ad for the rotary you should take caution cause most of them have zero give and you can really chew the skin up fast. Hope that helps

Evoxvr4

First Name
Rick
I did the same thing and bought a kit off Amazon from dragon hawk. It was absolute shit. For the 100 I spent the amount of stuff I got I figured it was going to be trash so I just used it for 3 months to practice all aspects of tattooing and then got rid of it. The power supply was junk, machines junk, ink junk. All of it. I then bought a Bronc pen and that was still a copy and junk but better junk. Once I felt like I had the idea of it down I bought a peak matrix. This thing is the tits. Should have bought it first .

soulstare22

Premium
First Name
Timmy
I mean if you want to fuck around and mutilate some of your friends, go ahead, this might be the best tool, since it's very simple and runs decently, but tattooing is hard, and I wouldn't recommend you tattoo real skin until you do atleast like 6 months apprenticeship under a solid artist who can go through all the nuances and technical intricacies of tattooing.

the absolute best case scenario is, you practice on pig or fakeskin by yourself using the pen for a bit and do some mediocre at best tattoos on some friends or whatever. your probably going to mutilate them, the needle depth and correct needle grouping and etc is so so complicated and even learning online is not sufficient. You need a qualified artist to baby you through it.

I thought the machine was pretty good for the price, but coil machines are better for beginners. So long as you have a needle going up and down you can make a tattoo, guys in prison do some pretty sick stuff with home made single needle rigs and home made ink. The machine is just a tool, the hand holding it is far more important.

Last edited:

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
get some fake skin to play on, grapefruit and oranges works too (it's nothing like real skin but it gives you some practice) you'll you see how it can chowder fruit skin, (avoid potatoes). A cheap machine that runs and a high end machine are like the difference between a generic bic ball pen and a Sakura Pigma you can do great art with either or crappy art with both, dollars can't buy talent.

that said I'd rather do finished art with a sakura.