Packed Up Packer )-:

inkstylus

Premium
First Name
Martin
i was half way through a tribal today and packing in the colour with ease after my new armature bar and springs arrived... when i was about half way through the machine jus died it didn't splutter or gradually die out just took my foot of the pedal went to start again and nothing tried turning the power up to full and not even a spark, cleaned the contact screw, also tried my liner on the same clip cord and it worked fine.
any suggestions on what to investigate next?
bad coils maybe?

Remove Ads

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
sounds like it could be a broken wire somewhere...

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
check to see if the contact screw hasn't moved with the vibration, try screwing it down a few turns.

regards
Tony

graeme

Premium
Media
First Name
Graeme McKay
Similar thing happened to me on Sunday. 10 minutes into tattooing myself my foot pedal packed in:cry: . Could it be that mate?.

(Sorry, just re-read your post and see you tried another machine-just ignore me :D)

inkstylus

Premium
First Name
Martin
thanks for the suggestions but do coils ever jus break?
also is there any way of testing for a loose wire and how do you locate it ?
ive already taken out the coils and they seem to be intact but i suppose it could be hidden under the heat shrink

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
A test meter would identify the problem in minute.

You can presume that your clip cord is ok as it works on another machine so first off screw the contact screw in more so it has good contact with the front spring, check the clip cord connection which touches the frame, even un clip from frame and touch the rear spring with it for a better contact, if the capacitor blows the machine will still run and just spark and be noisy, if you have removed any hardware from the frame ensure that the insulating washers are in place or else the frame will short out and on my power supply the actual power supply trips and needs resetting.

What machine is it?

inkstylus

Premium
First Name
Martin
found the problem it was a broken wire i tried to re solder it but didnt have much luck :icon_sad:
but have a new hoodlum machine in the post

i decided to scrap the coils and keep the other parts for a custom build.
this is what i found inside :icon_rolleyes:
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg
chinese news paper and wire that was badly wrapped also the wire wasnt even copper i was kinda suprised as i bought it from www.thetattooshop.co.uk and cost *£29.99 another *£10 *£20 and i could have bought a good machine elsewhere but i guess we all have to learn from our first machines