Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Please help! I need professional opinions

Media
First Name
Shelb
I’m trying to build up to doing realism. I haven’t been tattooing very long and I really struggle with shading, I just can’t get it smooth and saturated!! I suck at color tattoos (obviously) and I work to fast usually finish a piece in two hours.. I kinda think I’m rushing but when I’m done I’m done and idk how to slow down because I’m naturally a fast doodler/sketcher. I want to be able to do realistic things like portraits and black and grey. I only use greywash sets, I never use actual gray pigment. I need constructive Cristism. I use coils only and I’m thinking of switching to Cheyenne hawk thunder, if anyone uses that machine please lemme know. Tell me everything!

Attachments

Media
First Name
Shelb

Jerry7297

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
First off, Welcome. 2nd, I do not think any of your tattoos are bad tattoos. I think there are a couple of them where as you say you need to slow down maybe but overall your work looks great especially if you have not been tattooing long.

I personally do not use Cheyenne but a lot of people do. They do not have any give to them and that is a lot different than coils. Took me a while to get used to that. I personally like FK Irons EdgeX and Xions due to the fact they have give. I recently used a non give pen to do shading and I did like it but it is a lot more of your hand knowing when to give pressure or not to get the tones you will want. Hope something I wrote may have helped out I kinda rambled. Others will chime in I am sure.

Media
First Name
Shelb
I workin a shop with two award winning tattoo artists and I know how shitty my work Is compared to them.. thank you for the reply! I haven’t been tattooing long and I hope I will get better but I don’t know if I can unless I get better machines or something. I might consider looking into the fk irons one I heard that was a similar machine to the hawk thunder. So since it has more give what exactly does that mean (like explain it to a kindergartener) I have a basic understanding and when I used a rotary liner a couple times and I sucked like I had to start over and relearn and I hated it so I’m kinda scared to switch and idk what I even did wrong.. like the lines weren’t showing up at all, just blood lining basically.

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
That's superb work, don't know why you wanna go rotary if you have achieved what you have with coils in a short period? that foot tattoo is real quality. Also don't understand why you are asking on here if you are in a shop with artists knocking it outa the park, can't you just ask them? I would have thought you'll get to their level when you have as much time and experience as they have had, although we all have a limit to our god given talent i guess and some people are just elite with their artistic ability.

Media
First Name
Shelb
We don’t communicate like most shops. We each have a separate floor of a building and we barely see each other.. and when I do ask questions I kinda feel stupid because I don’t understand their explanations. I’m sure it’s not their fault that they are constantly booked out or busy. I’d rather hear others opinions of my work anyways.

Media
First Name
Shelb
I think the main reason I want the Cheyenne rotary is because it has the cartridges that you can switch between so I wouldn’t need to have multiple machines out.. but I also want smooth shading and I’ve heard they shade smoother. I wonder it that’s true?
Also I think the “art” concept of my work is fine.. it’s the tattoo quality I’m referring to (lines, smooth shading, trying to keep the skin from being traumatized too much etc.) those are what I struggle with.. like how do people get such smooth freakin lines !?

Jerry7297

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
When I referred to "give" on the FK Irons machines ( EdgeX & Xion) it means when your machine is running and it hits the skin it has a bounce back to it not just a hard direct hit as with the Thunder. Coils have springs and they have bounce to them when they hit the skin making the hit softer a lot of the times. Rotaries mostly do not have that function except if they have a give device.

As for the smooth lines... Man I wish I had smoother lines. I think everyone does on here, LOL.

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
BIG grips help with smooth lines. for me anyway. Relaxed hands.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Everyone starts at zero, don't let it take you down that more experienced tattooers are better than you. You have great potential, your tattoos look great even though of course I can see you can improve. You're probably just a bit blind to what you yourself are capable of at this moment.

When I felt like that I went back to the start of the ig account of some really great tattoo artists - after that i could let go of the feeling. They certainly weren't better than anyone else in the beginning.

I'm talking about
and

Just close your eyes and keep on working.

First Name
Saeid
I had this problem, but I start using rotary and I got neotat with magic motor.
It's do smooth , trust me , you will see change.
(I was start tattooing with rotary and change to coils , I come back to rotary .

Patch72

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Russ
Take a turn in the clients chair and watch and learn,most of us started as a customer as a way to learn.cant fault your work really but if you feel your rushing then just slow done,your in a studio then the artists around you should tell you what your doing wrong,help and advise you

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Haha, found out now that Oscar Akermo deleted all his old images :D So you go figure - everyone has a less glamourous start.

Media
First Name
Shelb
Well I don’t have any tattoos actually. :eek:

Yes I looked at those Instagrams, I love their work! But I did notice there stuff was better than mine starting out so maybe they did delete their old stuff ;/

Tattooz

Designer
Designer
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Dave
You have no tattoos and you are a tattooist? This must be a first right here at
:):)
Can this be shared with all the news agencies around the world??

Media
First Name
Shelb
Haha yea I get the worst crap for it! But the more I tattoo the less I want one. I’m just an artist I like not having them. I respect people who get them but I don’t have anything I want on me forever.

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
That is your right but I wouldn’t get a tattoo from an artist without tattoos. You should atleast be practicing on your leg and learning how it feels and how to properly heal a tattoo.

If you’re dedicated to this career path you should sacrifice some skin.

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
Haha yea I get the worst crap for it! But the more I tattoo the less I want one. I’m just an artist I like not having them. I respect people who get them but I don’t have anything I want on me forever.
I can understand what you're saying. A lot of artists have crap tattoos on their arms and legs, but can do awesome pieces on other people. The artists own tattoos are not something that would win me over. I'd rather see a portfolio of the artists work over his or hers arms, that were done by someone else, in most cases. I can also relate to the fact that styles and design change over time. I had a hard time designing mine, and if I were to do it again, it would be completely different. It might have to do that when you're creative, you want to explore, and appreciate, more than one style, where customers are probably set on a specific idea.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Unfortunately I don't recall the name, but there's a top artist who doesn't have one tattoo on him. There's absolutely no need to get tattooed only to show your customers you're serious about this.

But - tattooing oneself is great for learning a lots of things.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Here you have some of Oscar Akermos first tattoos:

(I screenshotted them when he showed them in stories on ig :giggle:)

And here are some of Ellen's earlier:

(Found them on Google).

You see? Quite a journey to where they are today.

It's good to have a critical eye to ones own work, but not to the point that it takes you down.

You go girl! 🙌

Last edited:

Patch72

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Russ
You have no tattoos and you are a tattooist? This must be a first right here at
:):)
Can this be shared with all the news agencies around the world??
Seems to be the norm these days,loads of artists tattoo and don’t have ink,same as artists who only do b&g or only colour as they only can do one or other but not both