Portrait Greywash

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
Hi all has any body tried portraits if so what was the graywash ratio I have done my own greywash for normal work but it will be way to dark for portrait work i no most of it is personal preference but it would be nice to have a starting point thanks:thumbsup:

Remove Ads

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Hi paul,
to get a good shade range,use 5 large ink caps,1 drop of black in the first...2 drops in the second...3 in the 3rd & so on,then top up with distilled water/which-hazel or whatever you use,stir them up & away you go...remember that when you shade a tat on real skin,it will heal quite a bit lighter than when it went in.hope this helps.

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
It does mate thanks I gues it's a case of figuring out what works for me cheers

Albionwolf

Basic
First Name
K
I use five 100 ml bottles and have 12 6 3 and 1.5% lining ink and top up with distilled witch Hazel the fifth bottle with maybe a few drops in almost nothing at all lime half a ml

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
there are all kinds of methods to grey wash but marks was the best skinpix i hope your name is mark lol:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: Ed :icon_cool:

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
there are all kinds of methods to grey wash but marks was the best skinpix i hope your name is mark lol:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: Ed :icon_cool:
Yep,it sure is Ed.....thankyou...:icon_cheesygrin:

Albionwolf

Basic
First Name
K
Some people even use glycerin in there wash iv never tried it different strokes for different folks but find a plain wash works fine so why change it

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Mine is similar to those posted above: 1,3,5, and straight lining ink. I cut with distilled water...seems to work fine for me. I think its all in preference and obviously the type of ink, all brands will dilute differently. good luck!

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Some people even use glycerin in there wash iv never tried it different strokes for different folks but find a plain wash works fine so why change it
glysirin is used for when people dont like "thin" watery ink, it bulks it up ;)

daveb

Basic
First Name
Dave
I use 50%, 25%,12.5%, 6%, 3% and 1.5% made up with Kuro Sumi Black Outlining Ink and diluted with plain old witch hazel....first take your empty bottles...add your chosen/preferred black ink to one and fill half way...add witch hazel to fill to the top...then take this 50% mixture and add half of it to your next bottle and once again fill up with witch hazel..this is now 25% concentration and can be used for most grey wash darks along with your 50%....for the other concentrations simple continue the mixing/topping up process using your last made up solution till you hit 1.5% which is plenty light enough for most portrait work...if you use 200ml bottles you can make enough grey-wash for absolutely loads of portraits and other grey wash work....all made from 100ml of ink!...:icon_wink: