Posistioning Contact Screw

heritage74

Premium
First Name
lee heritage
hi quick question about contact screw
stripped my machines down to clean and when putting together i thought i test out the position off contact screw
i had heard somewhere that maybe the contact screw could go half way down the spring ie at about 7oclock
tried this and it actually run smoother
is this ok or does the contact screw have to be at end off spring

Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Graham
For a shader the end of the screw (bit that touches the spring) should line up with the centre of the tubehole.
For a liner the end of the screw should sit over the edge of the front coil.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Also depends on the thickness of the spring, if using a thin gauge spring it will be more flexible at the tip so it will run slower than it will be further back along the spring making it stiffer harder with less bounce to slow it down, some people say set it at approx 90o to the spring I set mine on how they sound and the speed they run at 7 volts with the right contact gap for the job.

Albionwolf

Basic
First Name
K
If you have the right springs it should be at the end ie short front spring for liner and longer for shader but iv ran a cutback with a long spring but the contact hitting the center if the spring each machine is different and will run better with different settings but to answer your question the answer is no it doesn't have to hit the tip in all cases

CherryBamboo

Basic
First Name
Jason
agreeing with Albionwolf , its not set in stone so to say tho but it is a rule of thumb sort off, if you have the correct springs set up for your machine's .

just look at how many machine you have seen 100s with the contact screw generally towards the end'ish of the spring.with the correct springs for packer/shading/liner theres no reason really to have the contract screw further back up the spring.as said tho it will make the spring
stiffer/hit harder tho.

not set in stone .go by ear/sound...

Last edited:

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Just be aware, that if you have the contact screw half way down the spring, it will hit hard as hell. It will be like bouncing off a brick wall. As alreadt stated, if you have the correct springs fitted, the contact screw should be more or less at the end.