December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Power supply output

AndyCrap

Basic
First Name
Andy
First let me introduce myself, my name is Andy and I'm as young as my tongue and older than my teeth.

I bought a Chinese tattooing kit for my daughter to mess about with but she lost interest, thankfully. (She was 18 at the time).
I took it out a few weeks ago and had a play, I have since replaced the “guns” for a set of Brass Dragonhawk Compass machines.
I have took the time to read up, and then tuned them both, which got them running nicely, unlike the other guns.
I also replaced the power supply with a Hurricane Power HP-2.
I have thrown out most other bits, kept the tubes, needles and ink for rubber skin or piggy only.
NO humans will be harmed, despite being constantly asked by friends to ink them.

I have two questions I need help with ?

First question.
Is there any way to smooth out the voltage from the power supply ?
I have tested mine with a meter at 5 volts, and the volts fluctuate between 4.8 and 5.2.
There is also a constant supply of 0.03 volts even when the peddle is pressed to off
This will no doubt affect the machines performance, as the Hz and duty fluctuate a point or two.
I was thinking of a voltage regulator, but they only work with fixed voltages from what I can tell.

Second question.
How do you test the force/hit of your needles ? with out sticking yourself, as was surgested to me “try it on your own leg”.
(I pass out at the first sight of MY OWN blood, someone else blood is not a problem, just mine).
I do not fully understand the thumb on the A-bar nipple test, what is the force meant feel like?
I know its meant to be enogh to get the needles into the skin and out fast, but how hard should the machine hit feel ?

Thank you all for your reply's.

Remove Ads Close

Raskal 1220

Premium Plus
First Name
Chase
First off, they are not GUNS they are machines. Guns kill and machines create. Second on the power supply unit, IMO if you don’t have a name brand top notch like Critical or Ekion you’re going to have inconsistencies with it. As for the last part of your post, I’d you’ve never had a tattoo or given one to somebody then just get the MACHINE set up as if you’re about to do a tattoo and run it across your fingernail. If it leaves “scratches” from the needles then it’s pro safe to say it’ll penetrate skin. If you’re serious about this tattoo adventure then I’d go premium on here. You’ll get way more info than what you pay for.

AndyCrap

Basic
First Name
Andy
Thank you for your reply
The tip about the needles on your nails is most helpful. I will give that a try.

I am Sorry I refured to the Chinese badly pressed, miss a lined, poorly soldered, capasitor calapsing, wrongly wraped coil machines from the kit as GUNS.

I am aware that the correct term to use is "MACHINE", as I did when I referred to the Bass set I bought to replace them.

I did not know at the time the power supply I was buying would not be upto running a couple of coils and a capasitor through a flexable contact asembly on a very simple machine, i did not consider their complexity. I only considered the connections needed for machine and peddle, I never even considered unstable output.

I guess I could have put a variable resistor on the output of an old laptop power supply and saved myself some money.

Sadly I have what I have, and just thought there may have been something I could have done to make the most of it, before I spend thousands on something that has a 98% chance of never being used on Human skin.

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
Eikon Power supplys are great and not thousands. Tat Soul has some quality stuff as well. BarberDTS has got you covered in the UK.

Raskal 1220

Premium Plus
First Name
Chase
I use a hurricane power supply, and I don’t have any issues with it on my machines. Never meant to make you think it’s crap. IMO that little bit of fluctuations is barely noticeable if at all.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Hi Andy and welcome! :giggle: (y) No more Andy's after you, now there's three of you on this forum! 😉

I no nothing about coils, just wanna comment that I think it's a bit funny that calling a tattoo machine "gun" is a big no no - but one of the most respected tattoo magazine's are called Machinegun Magazine? 🤔

fylfot

Premium Plus
First Name
david
Don't worry too much if the supply is fluctuating ever so slightly, only worry if the machine sound is spluttering. If the machine sounds sweet the voltage is good. We tend to overthink everything on here.

AndyCrap

Basic
First Name
Andy
The power supply works, and works as well as I could expect it to, I just thought it could have the output cleaned up a bit.
I think I'm having one of those "over thinking it" problems, the ones that go around when your doing something new
As for those machines go, I would still go as far as to say guns (SORRY).

I thought the term "guns" was used to described crap Chinese made machines. Most Chinese machines are advertised as gun/machine.
Where did the term come from anyone know.

Me16363

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Shaun
First off, they are not GUNS they are machines. Guns kill and machines create. Second on the power supply unit, IMO if you don’t have a name brand top notch like Critical or Ekion you’re going to have inconsistencies with it. As for the last part of your post, I’d you’ve never had a tattoo or given one to somebody then just get the MACHINE set up as if you’re about to do a tattoo and run it across your fingernail. If it leaves “scratches” from the needles then it’s pro safe to say it’ll penetrate skin. If you’re serious about this tattoo adventure then I’d go premium on here. You’ll get way more info than what you pay for.
Testing on the fingernail is fine if you are practicing or tattooing yourself. For obvious cross contamination reasons you shouldn’t do this if you are about to tattoo someone else 👍🏻

Driley

Basic
First Name
Dianne
Invest in better equipment. Critical and eikon are very reliable brands and basically the only brands I’ve seen being used recently.