Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Practice repository

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
Not trying to be an ass... but maybe you should try some smaller stuff, possibly traditional with bolder lines, and learn from there. There's a lot wrong with this piece and I think it's because you're trying to go big too fast. Start small and learn from mistakes. Kudo's for trying tho' (y)

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Absolutely no need to stop posting, but i agree with @balooka, you should start practicing the techniques of tattooing, not try to run before you learn how to walk. Focus less on the motif, and especially the size of motif. Other than that, keep it up!!

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
Looks rushed mate. Slow down and take your time to get every line in there perfect. Like mentioned in the other comments don't worry about making a cool image but focus on the technique... first step is to learn the technique, the rest will follow automatically. You kill a great design by crap tattooing, but you lift a bad design with good tattooing :cool:

It's hard I know, one of my main struggles is the tendency to go to fast. Get that out of your system as early as you can because it will slow down your progress big time... my advise would be to not go for speed of the finished product, go for the Zen of tattooing instead ;)

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
See heres the thing you mistake my intentions because I am required to do these I'd love to just draw lines and practice that stuff but if I dnt do a "tattoo" the owner gets huffy and insists I'm being lazy.
(Not making excuses just explaining why I'm actually getting a little frustrated ig with the situation)

Which is partly why I'm trying to buy a set up for home not trying to make excuses just saying why I'm picking "harder" stuff

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
@Pzychotixx Ah... so you do practice tattoos out of a guys (your mentor? ) studio? Does he also provide you with the design you need to do and the time frame to do them in?

I don't think you necessarily need to pick a smaller design btw... bigger is not necessarily harder. Lines are lines, doesn't matter if they are in a bunch of small designs or one big one. Think it's more about intention and goal of your practice. Plenty of roads to take... and even more opinions on which one is the best :ROFLMAO:

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
If your shop guy is OK with this quality of work...time to find another shop. It's not the size of the practice...it's not the style of the practice...it's simply you have no ability to put a line in or shade. YET. Look at the simple lines beneath the ship. They are no better than the lines in the ship...and those are pretty simple.

That Rhino skin bullshit practice skin isn't helping either. You get more out of tracing flash...any flash...with a fine point sharpie on soft paper. That would tell you all you need to know about your speed, hand pressure, etc.

I've inverted the color on a portion of this piece. Blow it up and look at the lines...you can see the inconsistency in your depth, you can see where you missed the previous line you were trying to go over again, you can see the bobbles and wobbles and the inability to put lines in where you want. But also notice a few of those lines are clean...same color all the way through and from start to finish. THOSE are your lines...that is your goal. you CAN do it...just slow down and do it over and over again.

I've also included the last tattoo I did inverted as well. Pick it apart...you'll see mistakes in the line work in spots but you'll notice most are pretty consistent. This is a GREAT learning tool to see where you're at with lining.

We are all here to help...but at some point you have to start accepting the help and trying something different so you don't keep getting the same results.

Attachments

Jerry7297

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
Mark @TexasPT is right man. Believe me he is just trying to help you out. So I am interested to hear exactly what your mentor is telling you about your practice piece?

I said go smaller it is easier to concentrate on getting everything right. I still stay behind that statement, but do big tattoos as practice nothing wrong with that. Just slow down and maybe not finish it in 4hrs. You are rushing, if your mentor thinks that is good training I think he is mistaken.

BTW, Mark the inverted colors is awesome, nice pointer.

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
Mark @TexasPT is right man. Believe me he is just trying to help you out. So I am interested to hear exactly what your mentor is telling you about your practice piece?

I said go smaller it is easier to concentrate on getting everything right. I still stay behind that statement, but do big tattoos as practice nothing wrong with that. Just slow down and maybe not finish it in 4hrs. You are rushing, if your mentor thinks that is good training I think he is mistaken.

BTW, Mark the inverted colors is awesome, nice pointer.
As far as criticism he actually showed me how I can make better lines and said that it wasnt good I never thought it was and I agree with the inverted thing ima use that

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
I don't think there's a problem with doing a big motif, if you focus on technique. Problem usually is though, that people practicing don't see the poor technique, because they're so happy with the completed big motif.

If your mentor requires this from you at the stage you seem to be at, he's not a very good teacher. I'm not a very good teacher either, but Mark is. Listen to him.

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
Alot of the problems I see are still some of the wobbliness and out pacing my machines a little bit. I feel like some of it comes from the lack of confidence

Attachments

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
line works not too clever but the shading looks good. Fatter needle for the lines would've helped. But even with the sketchy lines it looks cool.

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
line works not too clever but the shading looks good. Fatter needle for the lines would've helped. But even with the sketchy lines it looks cool.
Yeah I'm trying to get outta my drawing style which is exactly defined by that description

Goldwingdaz

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Daz
yup, those lines need practice.
They look as though you are using your wrist to work the lines rather than pulling them using a stiff wrist and letting the shoulder and elbow do the work.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
You get that little dot in every turn with the needle, you should really work on that. You're staying too long with the needle in those corners.

Hope you're recovered! :)

Last edited:

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
Try a bigger needle grouping, pulling long lines with a small grouping will show every wobble for sure. To build a bit of confidence and some 'getting used to', I'd go with a bigger grouping like a 7RL.

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
Try a bigger needle grouping, pulling long lines with a small grouping will show every wobble for sure. To build a bit of confidence and some 'getting used to', I'd go with a bigger grouping like a 7RL.
Yeah I've also started using a heavier machine to reduce some wobble I think I used a 3 for the first and maybe a 5 on the dragon but that was trying different things and that dot in the middle is from bad choices on where to end a line and messing it up on the reconnect

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
But I continue to try and improve even if its somewhere small or on a single line each time