Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lucy Locket

Admin
First Name
Lucy
Congratulations Patrick.
This weeks entry by Patrick has won the art contest and will now roll over into the tattooing fake or pig skin contest.

The design to be tattooed this week is below. This may be in colour, or black. Because of the size, you can also just choose a section of it to tattoo if required, but it would be nice to do it all.
wk1patrick.jpg
Entries will close on Sunday 13th November at Midnight.

Won By Schwartzy
Anything entered after this time will be rejected.
Good Luck!

Remove Ads

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
Here's my effort:
3RL, 5RS, a mix of Bloodline and New Image inks on practice skin. (and loads of vaseline to clean it!). Took me just over 3 hours.

flower vine.jpg

Not a brilliant photo but I'll try and scan and post it tomorrow

flowers2.jpg Here's the scanned version. Is anyone else entering?

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Re: Week 1 Pig Contest

img026.jpg
Heres my entry. Sorry about quality of pig skin. I used 5rl, 5rs & 9rs took 2 hours 45mins and another 20 mins trying to clean it.

Pastelman

Premium
First Name
Alan

Here's my effort:
3RL, 5RS, a mix of Bloodline and New Image inks on practice skin. (and loads of vaseline to clean it!). Took me just over 3 hours.

View attachment 2476

Not a brilliant photo but I'll try and scan and post it tomorrow

View attachment 2490 Here's the scanned version. Is anyone else entering?
Hi Schwartzy , really nice work, is the practice skin the A5 size (8x6) approx I struggle to get them clean did you use the vaseline during the tattooing or after
sorry for the dumb question.

Regards
Alan (Pastelman)

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel

Hi Alan.
Yes it is the A5 size. I used vaseline to clean it as I went along and then for a final clean up at the end. (a tip that I read on here somewhere!) I have found that using green soap just tends to stain the practice skin.
Hope this is useful,
Rachel

Hightower

Premium
First Name
Kerry

I plan on entering when my finger heals. :) Can't wait

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie

In my opinion, i think it would have been better if the pig contest was the same setup as the drawing comp. A set theme and everyone putting in their own version of the set topic.

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel

It was an interesting technical exercise though, doing a tattoo from someone else's art work in a style quite different from my own.

Lucy Locket

Admin
First Name
Lucy

In my opinion, i think it would have been better if the pig contest was the same setup as the drawing comp. A set theme and everyone putting in their own version of the set topic.
Its a better idea, but we had to start somewhere, and maybe we were wrong.
All options can be discussed, and we just go with the most popular.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael

I'll enter the pig contests when I get a bit better, I tried it this week and failed miserably. Chucked it before I even got a picture......

You could just keep the theme the same for flash and piggy contests, that way you can just tattoo your own design....... Or two different themes, either way works for me.....

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n

don't know how much weight my opinion carries since i didn't enter either this round... but i like the format.

how many times are you going to ink someone that picks something off the wall or brings in their own art that u need to duplicate?

i think the current format replicates real life.

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie

I fully understand points made that its replicates a real life situation so that is a plus point but personally if i was working in a shop and someone brought in a pic, i would instantly want to change it up and make it my own. I think its more exciting and creative to tattoo your own design and not just copy someone elses. Thats just my opinion though, im not trying to start a major debate and neither am i expecting any rules to be changed etc... Just thought more people would enter if they got to do their own thing. :)

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve

I fully understand points made that its replicates a real life situation so that is a plus point but personally if i was working in a shop and someone brought in a pic, i would instantly want to change it up and make it my own. I think its more exciting and creative to tattoo your own design and not just copy someone elses. Thats just my opinion though, im not trying to start a major debate and neither am i expecting any rules to be changed etc... Just thought more people would enter if they got to do their own thing. :)
I gotta say, I agree with Debs on this one. Also, if you have 10 entries all doing the same design, they should all pretty much look the same anyhow, surely?! I personally enjoy the creative side.

Premium
First Name
micky

I have to agree with every one here

dax172

Premium
First Name
Dan

i have to agree with everyone else as well.
i prefer the whole design element of the comp as this uses my mind to get something from nothing on the drawing stage but the tattooing would make it look like everyone elses which only slight changes from artists taste like colour and shades.

Flying Monkey

Premium
First Name
Chris

I dont have a dog in this fight so please dont hold that against me. But 1 thing to remember is if someone gave you a design and said "THIS is what I want". You have to take into account, they are the ones carrying it around the rest of their lives. Sometimes there isnt room for what the tattoo artist wants, all we can do is persuade. Granted more times then not people will appreciate a little changing to make it personal but in the end its up to the person getting the tattoo. As artists we dont like to hear that, but with something as permanent as a tattoo it has to be taken into account. So there will be times like this contest to tattoo what your given, you dont want to be labeled as an artist that will only tattoo what YOU want, not what the client wants.

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick

Well done Rachael, yours deserevd to win.