Practice skin or pig skin?

snorkel.002

Thread starter #1
does anyone have any personal opinions on this topic? i am yet to try either but im keen to go for the hardest one cos everythin after that should be easier.

Koi

Premium
First Name
Sharron
Definately pig skin. Dont waste your time and money on fake skin. It is basically thick lino covering that you would otherwise find on a kitchen floor.

Pig skin is quite hard to stretch before you get used to it, but the finish is very good.

Lucy Locket

Founder/Admin
First Name
Lucy
Pig skin from Morrisons

snorkel.002 said:
cool, i was leaning towards pig skin cos i have heard its really difficult. where can i get hold of pig skin?
If you are in the UK, Morrisons supermarket in the fresh meat fridges. Ie, where the pork chops n things are. You will find 2 or 3 rolls in a blue polystyrene tray for around 70p, so its very inexpensive.

As for being difficult, once you learn to stretch well, its quite good, and the results look good.

punkvernie

i used the rubber stuff it stains so you cant tell if you have done the shading right but you can keep the finished product.

First Name
lee
i use a childs football cut up into pieces like the one you buy for a *£1.00 in you pounder shop try it works good good for applying stencils too as not all parts of the body are straight and smooth takes ink well from the needles too ;-)

happyloz72

stretching pig skin

Can someone tell me how to stretch the pig skin and is there something you can do to it to preserve it without it rotting or smelling? thanks lorna x

Davey

The boss
Founder/Admin
First Name
Davey
happyloz72 said:
Can someone tell me how to stretch the pig skin and is there something you can do to it to preserve it without it rotting or smelling? thanks lorna x
Hi Lorna.
As for stretching the pig skin, the answer is very difficult, BUT on the plus side it doesnt really need too much stretch normally, as it is quite thick and rigid. Try getting a good stretch, with both hands, then trap it with your right hand, ang ently with your right. This makes it quite hard to get the feel for you machine, but pig skin is still the best "real" skin alternative.

happyloz72

preserving

thanks for that will give it a try. What about the preserving thing. Do you have any ideas about that? :)