Practice Skins

Ant465

Premium
First Name
Anthony
Well I've just purchased some tattoo equipment, all individually rather than a single kit. The last of the items arrived today in the post, two nice new machines from Supertatz one for shading and one for lining all set up, thanks Supertatz excellent service.

All I'm missing now is some practice skin. I'm a little confused as to which to get there is plenty for sale on eBay, in packs of 5 or 10 etc and quite cheap. Some I have seen cost more that *£12 for one piece, is there that much difference? I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" but it seems a little excessive to pay *£12 for one piece which is advertised as single use.

So I suppose the question has to be, can the practice skin be used more than once on each side, and is there much difference between cheap and expensive skin? I'm going to use pig skin as soon as I have sourced some locally but to get going I need some practice skin.

Remove Ads

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Magnum tattoo suplies 10 skins for about *£8 i use them all the time with good results look at my past posts if you need any more info as they are concerned let me know:icon_lol:

Ant465

Premium
First Name
Anthony
Cheers Jim, I have just bought some as per your advice so I'll give them a go, can't wait.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Hi Anthony, your spot on with, you get what you pay for, the dear stuff should be about *£6 you don't want to pay any more for it, the cheap stuff is all the same product just at different prices, i pay about *£6 for ten, the stage you are at you will want to concentrate on your lining so the cheap stuff is great for that, it is best to put your stencil on and let it dry for about 5 mins then put a very thin layer of Vaseline over the design, do a small area of outline and then wipe it off with damp kitchen towel, you can try using colour after you have done the outline but it doesn't really work to good with the cheap stuff, so if you do don't think you are crap at it, it's the practise skin, also it is only about 2mm thick so it is best to put on a newspaper or something not hard, to protect the needle tips.

steveo9441

Premium
First Name
Steve
Practice skins are great to work with but the trouble I had removing unwanted ink.
No matter how much vaseline was used and damp kitchen towel the end product would not come clean, even tried different cleaning agents, but still the same result. As you say piggy skin has a rough surface and if to much vaseline is applied your needle tip becomes clogged, but a least piggy does clean up!
I was just wondering if anyone knows the secret of cleaning practice skins as piggy is hard to get from my end.

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Hi,
have you tried using green soap or neat dettol ?

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Practice skins are great to work with but the trouble I had removing unwanted ink.
No matter how much vaseline was used and damp kitchen towel the end product would not come clean, even tried different cleaning agents, but still the same result. As you say piggy skin has a rough surface and if to much vaseline is applied your needle tip becomes clogged, but a least piggy does clean up!
I was just wondering if anyone knows the secret of cleaning practice skins as piggy is hard to get from my end.
Have a wee look at the thread 'latest on rubber' mate it should help 'and dont use wet kitchen roll dab it with a dry piece apply a coat of vase before you start and reapply as you go along keep dabbing and coating with more as you progress just do a small bit at a time it works for me 'i had the same problem as you at the start as i can't get decent piggy 'it is also neccessary to clean your needle regularly as it can become clooged with vase'i use a spray with water and a little fairy liquid for this then rinse in a cup of water and dry it of .Dont use water on the skin to clean it as it only makes a mess