P Practice Skins

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
I have just got some practice skins of ebay, however when i wipe down to see where im going it stains / smudges the skin. Is this just poor skins if so does anyone know where to get decent practice skins from. I also have been told pig skin and certain fruit is ok. any advice welcome.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
practice skin

Hi, Darren, if itÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢s the thin stuff which is about *£6 for ten pieces then it does mark easy, if you put a fine layer of Vaseline on it first and then before you wipe any ink off just put a little bit of water on you tissue you will get a much better result, donÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢t put to much Vaseline on it because the ink doesnÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢t take, after you have finished give it a good scrub in the sink, with practise you should get a reasonable result. You can buy a better quality skin but it is about *£6 for a small piece, people do also use grape fruit to practise on and now most people are using pig skin which is probably the cheapest option itÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢s just something I havenÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢t used myself, I think it is about *£1.20 from MorrisonÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢s, I hope I have been some help to you and good luck for the future.

regards
Tony

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi Darren,
if you have a local farm shop or butchers shop I'd give them a try. I got a load of pig skin for *£3 other week and it has kept me going for a while. (just rolled up and wrapped pieces in cling film then froze them). Apparently the skin they take off the shoulders just gets chucked (or cheap butchers use in sausage - yeuch!). A lot of the guys on here also get their pig skin from Morrisons supermarket - but ours just sells belly pork and it is full of score marks for crackling - it does still work tho! I personally found synthetics poor.

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
Hi, Darren, if itÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢s the thin stuff which is about *£6 for ten pieces then it does mark easy, if you put a fine layer of Vaseline on it first and then before you wipe any ink off just put a little bit of water on you tissue you will get a much better result, donÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢t put to much Vaseline on it because the ink doesnÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢t take, after you have finished give it a good scrub in the sink, with practise you should get a reasonable result. You can buy a better quality skin but it is about *£6 for a small piece, people do also use grape fruit to practise on and now most people are using pig skin which is probably the cheapest option itÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢s just something I havenÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢t used myself, I think it is about *£1.20 from MorrisonÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢s, I hope I have been some help to you and good luck for the future.

regards
Tony
Thanks for that i will have a look tomorrow for some pig skin i see a lot are using it.

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
Hi Darren,
if you have a local farm shop or butchers shop I'd give them a try. I got a load of pig skin for *£3 other week and it has kept me going for a while. (just rolled up and wrapped pieces in cling film then froze them). Apparently the skin they take off the shoulders just gets chucked (or cheap butchers use in sausage - yeuch!). A lot of the guys on here also get their pig skin from Morrisons supermarket - but ours just sells belly pork and it is full of score marks for crackling - it does still work tho! I personally found synthetics poor.
Thanks, have you any images you can upload to see the results on pig skin.

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Well it looked and tasted like one when i took the skin of it 'had to handle it gently tho as it bruised easily:rolleyes::eek:

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
First ever tattoo using pig skin

Thanks for everuyone who gave advice about using pig skin, i found this 100% better than the cheap ebay skins, which made me disheartened after a few minutes and stopped.

I have just now carried out and completed my 1st tattoo, opnions cheers

Attachments

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Nice job daz,:clap: if that's a first attempt mate,can't wait to see your work in a couple of months,well done,keep it up.:thumbsup:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Wow - well done Daz - an excellent first attempt I would say!:clap:

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
that looks spot on jim, nice lines and nice colour work/shading too! reminds me... i tattos a grapefruit a while back the first time i picked up a mates tattoo gun and "had a go" i'll try and dig it out:cool:

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
Great Work i tried a grapefruit but found the stencil would not stick to the surface despite scrubbing the fruit prior to applying the stencil.

Which brings me to my next question when applying the stencil to a surface eg pig skin what do people use to appy them to get a good soild stencil i use cgreen soap but the stencil is very faint, it may be down to cheap carbon paper. Any help cheers.

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
I tried green soap but had the same problems I got some stencil fluid it gives a good image and holds it well good work daz look forward to seing more

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Great Work i tried a grapefruit but found the stencil would not stick to the surface despite scrubbing the fruit prior to applying the stencil.

Which brings me to my next question when applying the stencil to a surface eg pig skin what do people use to appy them to get a good soild stencil i use cgreen soap but the stencil is very faint, it may be down to cheap carbon paper. Any help cheers.
hi daz, Are you using single hectograph sheets or spirit thermal sheets ??? for doing hand drawn stencils,you should be using single hectograph sheets.....and use a little neat dettol for the application,hope this helps.:thumbsup:

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
here it is, first time id ever picked up a tattoo machine round a mates house giving it a go, i didnt use a stencil so just got doodling as i think is evident from the outcome :cheesy: although there is a pencil next to my hand :/ pretty certain i didnt draw it out first as pencil doesnt mark grapefruits does it? hmm was a while ago so maybe i did... im 25 and got a terrible memory!

first attempt.jpg

barcode1973

Premium
First Name
Lee
I had a bad time with stencils. I use spirit carbon paper and I haven't had a problem when I got my head round it. The normal tracing paper and carbon paper just isnt as good, the spirit tracing paper is shiny on one side and works much better. I think someone on here mentioned it when I was having problems but a baby wipe is ideal for applying stencil. give it a quick wipe then apply stencil and wipe over the top of it then press down (i use palm of my hand) being careful not to press too hard and blur the image and also keeping hold of stencil so it doesnt slide.

Regarding your fish I must say if that's your first go your miles better than I was and a month later I have now done 8 tattoos on myself, friends and family and there all very happy (happier than me) keep it up.
This is the best place for honest and friendly advice

barcode1973

Premium
First Name
Lee
I have used both hecto and spirit paper I was eventually able to get good stencils with the spirit paper but it was a lot of messing round but you can get a much finer stencil I think.
After trying hecto after spirit I was amazed by the darkness and lastability of the stencils I could use a stencil 4-6 times and it would still be ok, the spirit stencils are pretty much dead after 1 go. You are best retracing your design on hecto with a fine ballpoint as the lines are really thick. Think im sticking with the hectos till someone tells me of anything better?

I got mine form powerline supplies (use for 90% stuff always comes in 24hrs and is top notch)