Public Liability Insurance for Tattooists

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hello all, me again!

Question... why is it difficult for tattooists to get public liability insurance?

I have been doing some digging about today - and what it reveals to me is that all we are covered for are general things like someone tripping or hurting themselves in the property. (eg tripping over a piece of furniture etc!!) There is no element which covers the actual tattooing - yet because we are tattooing it is far more expensive than for any other business apparently?!
There is another element called treatment cover which is for a person say who develops an infection - but it would have to be proven that it was through negligence in hygiene standards of the artist for example... and with a policy excess of *£1k!

Can any of you shed any light on this - offer any tips as to a good company to use - or give me any ideas of quotations/annual costs - as the figures I have been given are rediculous! Cheapest was *£330 with a *£1k excess!!

It just proves to me yet again that everything is stacked up against us trying to abide by the law!!:mad:

sorry, forgot to say that quote is just for me personally - so not the type of cover you'd need for a shop even!

Remove Ads

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
Hi Dawn

Im not in the office till Monday, but we had a similar nightmare with insurance, due to us been a training centre and gas is one of the courses run. Our quotes
ranged from *£1800 to *£3900 however we got a company to insure us for *£680, seems a lot but very cheap compared. I think the company is called Simply Business but will clarify it for you.

tattooangel

Basic
First Name
Ray
I agree, it does seem that companies that insure tattooists are thin on the ground. We went with a brokers called Versatile Insurance. I forget the guy I spoke to, but he was very helpful. It looks like they have a special offer on too!

tattooangel

Basic
First Name
Ray
Im trying to post a link to the exact page, but this forum is letting me! It is
www[dot]versatileinsurance[dot]co[dot]uk/tattoo-insurance[dot]php

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
I have my own engineering business and I pay just over *£600 for just me as I do hot work, there used to be a couple of companies in the back of skin deep who had liability insurance for tattooists.

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi guys n gals,

thanks for the info. Eventually went with a company called Cathederal Ins brokers who sorted me a shop policy which covers me for public liability, stock, premises etc.

I decided not to bother with the tattoo care package - because when I read the small print, it basically covers you for infection only - nothing to do with the tattoo or error or design or ANYTHING!! It also had a *£2,500k excess!!!!!
In my opinion - not worth a light!

Advice to anyone setting up a business - get your public liabilty - (cover for anyone falling, tripping, injuring themselves on your property) - and any contents etc.
The tattoo package is not - and I repeat, not any use!!

Make sure you have a good and thorough disclaimer in place - and MAKE SURE you do not tattoo anyone until they have signed a copy for you. Ensure you follow to the letter, all health and safety guidelines. This is the best you can do.