Question about tattoo laws in Ireland

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
Hi everybody! I hope you are all good :)

I've been searching around but there's not too much information about it and I have no actual tattoo artist friends to ask about so... Does anybody know how the Irish law is for tattooing?

I've found this link where it says that there's no actual regulation but I would like to know if any kind of health and safety course is needed or if the tattoo artists need to have any official tittle.

I'm still an amateur and I'm just tattooing oranges and close friends (no charging any money) but I would like to know what are the requirements for the tattoo artists. Also, if someone that is learning could tell me where to dispose the needles, that will be super helpful too.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Kind regards,
Iris

Remove Ads Close

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
From what I read on that link, it seems like there are no regulations in Ireland for tattooing, however I would contact your health department to be sure, and I would probably just go above and beyond for peace of mind and knowing your are putting out clean sanitary work...

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
From what I read on that link, it seems like there are no regulations in Ireland for tattooing, however I would contact your health department to be sure, and I would probably just go above and beyond for peace of mind and knowing your are putting out clean sanitary work...
Hi Tom! Thanks for your reply.

I understood the same after reading the link but I can confirm that the article is updated so I wanted to make sure I was not doing anything against the law. I'm always following the sanitary rules when I tattoo, even i it's only on oranges (not as extreme then) but I wanted to feel better myself having as much information as possible :)

Dazza

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi Tom! Thanks for your reply.

I understood the same after reading the link but I can confirm that the article is updated so I wanted to make sure I was not doing anything against the law. I'm always following the sanitary rules when I tattoo, even i it's only on oranges (not as extreme then) but I wanted to feel better myself having as much information as possible :)
You can get a sharpz container from the chemist,and your local council should be able to tell you where to dispose of it ,or even the chemist might have a suggestion,just tell them you on heroin and I’m sure they will bend over backwards to help you 😉

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
You can get a sharpz container from the chemist,and your local council should be able to tell you where to dispose of it ,or even the chemist might have a suggestion,just tell them you on heroin and I’m sure they will bend over backwards to help you 😉
hahahahahaha it's clever idea but I think it's better just say the truth about the tattooing thing

I'll check if I can contact my council and let's see if the can point me in the right direction :) Thanks for your help guys!

Morrissey

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
John
Hi , there are no regulations whatsoever in Ireland South for tattooing , you could technically tattoo a 2 year old with a parent and it would be no issue ... as regards sharps containers , my local GP surgery take my containers and give me a new one for free , I told them it was tattoo needles but thay said thats fine , just drop them in ...
I do pay for insurance at the moment as this is a country of suing , but I didn't for a long time , it costs 700 euros per year for treatment risk and public liability , just being cautious as I don't want to lose my house cos someone didn't follow cleanliness guidelines.... but as far as I could find out there are no precedents of successful lawsuits in Irish courts against tattooists ...

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
Hi , there are no regulations whatsoever in Ireland South for tattooing , you could technically tattoo a 2 year old with a parent and it would be no issue ... as regards sharps containers , my local GP surgery take my containers and give me a new one for free , I told them it was tattoo needles but thay said thats fine , just drop them in ...
I do pay for insurance at the moment as this is a country of suing , but I didn't for a long time , it costs 700 euros per year for treatment risk and public liability , just being cautious as I don't want to lose my house cos someone didn't follow cleanliness guidelines.... but as far as I could find out there are no precedents of successful lawsuits in Irish courts against tattooists ...
Thank you so much for all this info! I'm going to check with my GP if he can take the needles. I need to admit that you scared me a little bit about the suing thing... At the moment, I'm just tattooing close friends but it would be a good point to check in the future. Do you think that a formal document specifying that I'm still an amateur tattoo artist could help with it at the moment?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm trying to look for it online but as you mentioned, with no regulation, there's not too much useful info.

Thanks for everything!

Kindly,
Iris

Dazza

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Daryl
Thank you so much for all this info! I'm going to check with my GP if he can take the needles. I need to admit that you scared me a little bit about the suing thing... At the moment, I'm just tattooing close friends but it would be a good point to check in the future. Do you think that a formal document specifying that I'm still an amateur tattoo artist could help with it at the moment?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm trying to look for it online but as you mentioned, with no regulation, there's not too much useful info.

Thanks for everything!

Kindly,
Iris
You should defiantly be thing about getting some waiver forms for you clients to sign

Morrissey

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
John
Absolutely get a waiver form done up straight away , and also a print out you can give to people on proper tattoo aftercare and products to use .,,,, while your just doing friends you should be fine , but you'll soon get to friends of friends and so on .... don't worry just be very carefull with your hygiene and where you do the tattoo ...., the worst I've ever heard of is a local tattooists was brought to the small claims court and had to return the cost of the tattoo ...

Media
First Name
Dika
Instagram
dika_o_real
Heya, I work in UK and I also used to work in Ireland. Laws are pretty much the same.
1) When you start to work in the studio - local council should come and assess you, its easy, they just making sure that artist is clean and using professional products. 2) Its advisable to have HEP B virus . If you are stuck, give me a shout )

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
Thank you so much guys for all the info and the advice, I'm going to check all these documents to share them with the friends who want to get tattooed (just in case, you never know).

I always take so much care of the hygiene and the cleanliness of my work space but having some info and aftercare instructions for the 'customers' will be helpful :)