P Rant

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
Time for a rant, a friend of mine in Suffolk visited a Tattoo studio in Yarmouth, looking to do unpaid work to add to help better his tattoo skills.
Without even asking to see his work they asked the following questions
Where did you learn?
And kit etc?
He replied he was self taught and had added to a kit purchased from eBay to now include Sunskin, Mickey Sharpz guns. The receptionist (the tattooist wife) then hurled 30 minutes of abuse stating that he was not fit to clean there floors and was living a dream that would never happen. They where not prepared to even look at his work art or tattoos.)
The tattooist then asked if had ever done the convention circuit (as he does) and does he know several well known artist from around the UK. (as if he could as he is like us all training) His wife then continued further abuse and humiliation towards him saying her husband had 30 years experience and does not need flash its all freehand and people like him were setting up and taking money out of there pockets. He was then greeted with a nice now F*ck off out of our studio
He then contacted me and said he was totally destroyed and feels like giving up.
Who do these greedy parasites think they are just because they have been trading for 30+ years. Where the hell did her husband start up ? these people make me sick. Seems there scared of a little bit of competition. I hope everyone on here succeeds and opens a studio if I make the grade would love to move to Suffolk and open a studio slap bang next door to these pr!cks.

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Well said Daz!
Its those sorts of people that we would all like to see the work of, especially the ones that dont need flash.
The husband was probably one of those that i used to see in my teens that had a can of Stella in one hand and a rollup in the other sitting about in a tattoo shop p!ssing the tattooist off a treat. We had one in Sheffield that you couldnt get in for prams n scrubbers. :icon_evil:

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
They said scratchers should be banned, and commented on a shop that had opened close to them who had been given a license by the council to trade, but there work was sh!t. she also said that if more shops opened in the area she would be out of a job! Which is probably more to the point they had a bee in there bonnets (Greedy B@stards).

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Tattoos are a very personal thing, I personally prefer old school tattoos with a nice outline and good strong colours so I would be asking to see flash sheets not everyone wants portraits, so would he have to turn me away, I think it is the black book of tattooing where he says 90% of tattoo artists did not have an apprenticeship they just tell everybody that they did, ask your friend to join us here and get some proper support.

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
I have sent him the link. hopefully he will be part of the team shortly

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
poor sod, i bet he went in all excited, just to be kicked down, i really don't know why tattooing is like this, Ive done many things, and never come across anything like the tattooing world, i am a photographer but i will go out of my way to show and help anyone how to get a good image,same with computers,and acting, I look at it as, if they help people like us,they will send out good tattooist who will know how to do it with out harming clients.

I cant praise this site enough, no one picks on anyone or knocks them down, you all help each other.

get you mate on here Daz.

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hey Daz,

It's same old story... But prob is, these guys just don't like the competition and basically that's what it all boils down to!

Last week I had a girl come into my studio who had also visited another locally and had been told not to use me as my work was sh1t!!

I said to her, it's entirely your choice where you go. I can't comment on their work as they haven't tattooed me - so I don't get how they feel they can comment on mine! I gave her a quote and explained it was all about competition, but said I won't lower myself to the depths of them. I have nothing to say about them. Guess who got the back piece ;) ;) ;) ha ha ha......

And guess what else.... It was f'ing gorgeous, suppose I say so myself.....

Sometimes we have to just feel sorry for these d1ck heads..... Clearly they are terrified of a bit of competition, which speaks volumes really. If they are soooooo damn good, it would be no skin off their noses!!!

akka

Premium
First Name
Ben
aggree with all of the above tell r mate not to get disheartened and get therselves on here theres people like that everywere sadly but they wont find that attitude here its the same in my home town bloke slags me off like mad then rings me up offering a job , obviously i say no (not redy for civi street yet) and whuld u want to work for a bloke like that??
then continues to slag me off (funny the amount of stuff i have to fix that hes done :icon_rolleyes:)
personal rant over lol

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
It's good not to get too disheartened. Tell your friend to persevere. I've emailed or phoned just about every tattooist that I can find in London at some point to ask if I could do some work experience/an apprenticeship for them and only 2 or 3 bothered to get back to me to say thanks but no thanks. I eventually found one who didn't want to take on anyone at the moment but was willing to look at my portfolio of drawings and the few tattoos that I've done so far and give me a bit of advice and who encouraged me to get out there and do a few more tattoos to get the practice in so that I could come back with the photos and they might be able to take me on in the future. He didn't call me a scratcher but was very positive and really gave me a boost to my confidence. If they are a good tattooist they've got nothing to feel threatened by!

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Do you know the name of the shop he went to ?

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
I was just looking at the Big Tattoo Planet forum to see if there was anything useful on it, and almost the entire section that was meant to be about giving information about getting started and apprenticeships was just full of tattooists being really negative and saying that if you can't get an apprenticeship then basically you must be unworthy of being a tattooist and haven't tried hard enough! Some poor guy made the mistake of saying that he had been learning from the internet and had tattooed his own leg as practice and was asking for any help and advice that anyone could give him and they ripped him to pieces and called him a scratcher and said how dare he do such a thing! When another person said that nobody in their area was taking on apprentices he was told that he just needed to move to another town to find a placement and if he didn't then he obviously didn't want to do it enough... (this kind of assumes that all budding tattooists are 17, don't have a partner or kids and live with their parents and can just up sticks and go and live in a bedsit in another town!). I've never come across an industry quite like it, thank goodness for this forum!

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
Its a joke, I have asked a few tattoo artist now how they learnt and find it quite funny when they say "self taught" yet slate people who are trying to get in to the industry.

I have now come to the conclusion they are thickle greedy b*stards. This site is worth its weight in gold and as helped me and I am sure will continue to help others.

Just to go on again if the so called pros are so dead set against "scratchers" why are they so worried about a tattoo register been introduced. This would be introduced by the HSE, Local Goverment and trading standards working together where they would want all trading tattooist re-assessed. There Not worried that there are better "scratchers" than them.

Come everyone on here lets show these so called pros it can be done and give them a run for there money.

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
I see TLC (The Learning Channel) is showing a series about becoming a tattoo artist at there USA school. Don’t get me wrong I doubt if anyone could be taught how to become a tattooist artist in 2 weeks with no experience, however people, who have been practicing for months /years and getting knowledge from sites such as this one, and have built up some skills could potentially benefit from such a school.

For example Wild done a 1 day course to brush up her techniques and has now progressed and opened her own shop.

One site on Facebook asking people to boycott the site has now got 12000 members https://www.facebook.com/#!/BoycottTattooSchool and Artists and collectors against TLC's "Tattoo School" has almost 24000 https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Artists-and-collectors-against-TLCs-Tattoo-School/144928485583014
90% of members are so called pro tattoo artist which are demonstrating foul, abusive and threatening behavior to the school, looks to me like there not so concerned about the ethics of what the school stands for but more importantly competition.

The Industry is as clicky as a clicky thing, These so called artist need a kick up the arse and the only way I can see this happening is new blood coming through and demonstrating that there options out there. I cant wait to see what happens in the next 12 months, it would be great to see Skin Deep magazine run a feature on a new artist producing excellent work and when they ask where he learnt his trade for him to reply “the help me tattoo forum” what a kick in the b*llocks for these greedy artists who think they have the industry sewn up by making apprenticeships as rare as rocking horse sh!t.

Sorry for another rant but it really gets under my skin (excuse the pun) it’s about time these narrow minded artists wake up and smell the coffee. Tattooing is becoming more and more acceptable in society and that means business opportunities if today’s tattoo artist don’t like it, wont accept it or even offer realistic apprenticeships well maybe they should hang up there clip cords, pack away there machines, close the door and f*ck off.

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Time for a rant, a friend of mine in Suffolk visited a Tattoo studio in Yarmouth, looking to do unpaid work to add to help better his tattoo skills.
Without even asking to see his work they asked the following questions
Where did you learn?
And kit etc?
He replied he was self taught and had added to a kit purchased from eBay to now include Sunskin, Mickey Sharpz guns. The receptionist (the tattooist wife) then hurled 30 minutes of abuse stating that he was not fit to clean there floors and was living a dream that would never happen. They where not prepared to even look at his work art or tattoos.)
The tattooist then asked if had ever done the convention circuit (as he does) and does he know several well known artist from around the UK. (as if he could as he is like us all training) His wife then continued further abuse and humiliation towards him saying her husband had 30 years experience and does not need flash its all freehand and people like him were setting up and taking money out of there pockets. He was then greeted with a nice now F*ck off out of our studio
He then contacted me and said he was totally destroyed and feels like giving up.
Who do these greedy parasites think they are just because they have been trading for 30+ years. Where the hell did her husband start up ? these people make me sick. Seems there scared of a little bit of competition. I hope everyone on here succeeds and opens a studio if I make the grade would love to move to Suffolk and open a studio slap bang next door to these pr!cks.
If your work is good enough mate why worry:icon_rolleyes: