• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

RCA Conversion - Dragonfly Clone

learner

Basic
First Name
I don’t have a clip cord but I have everything to make an RCA conversion.

Just wondering how do I do it? I tried to take the gold connectors off but I don’t think it will budge. Anyone know how to do it on this machine? I’m not too fussed I just need it to run via RCA.

Here a picture of what it looks like:

Help would be much appreciated <3

learner

Basic
First Name
Parts that I bought from Jaycar to make the conversion are:

- Gold RCA socket (Green color)
- Non insulated silver eye terminal
- Some thin Red wire

Burt

Premium
First Name
Burt
They should unscrew, there will usually be a hole through the side you can use a small hex key to crack the first turn

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Doing what Burt said you should get this:
IMG_20210604_115540_s.jpg
be careful not to over-tighten the connectors later on, if the studs are like these, from plastic, you might damage the threads.
Also, do not solder the eye terminals to the wires after mounting, the heat of soldering (> 370ºC) will melt the plastic studs, solder them to the wires before mounting.

learner

Basic
First Name
Doing what Burt said you should get this:
View attachment 26501
be careful not to over-tighten the connectors later on, if the studs are like these, from plastic, you might damage the threads.
Also, do not solder the eye terminals to the wires after mounting, the heat of soldering (> 370ºC) will melt the plastic studs, solder them to the wires before mounting.

I have solder everything I think it should be correct. One thing is I don’t have the L Bracket thing. So I just used a conductive wire just wrapped it around. Should that be alright? I assume that is the ground?

I was able to remove the gold clip cord connectors from my machine. Now I need to know which one do I put the eye connector and the ground wire to? Also do I leave the existing connection which came with the machine the way it is and just put my eye socket over it?

Last edited:

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
I have solder everything I think it should be correct. One thing is I don’t have the L Bracket thing. So I just used a conductive wire just wrapped it around. Should that be alright? I assume that is the ground?
Yes, that is correct. You should solder that connection as well, otherwise you'll have an unstable connection.

I was able to remove the gold clip cord connectors from my machine. Now I need to know which one do I put the eye connector and the ground wire to? Also do I leave the existing connection which came with the machine the way it is and just put my eye socket over it?
It doesn't matter how you connect them, the motor will run in one or the other direction, which is no problem at all as the needle gets moved either way. If you look at my photo you will see the two wires going to the motor are both yellow, there's no + or - which is why both studs are plastic. If only one of them were plastic and the other one metal, than the plastic one would be + and should be connected to your red wire.

learner

Basic
First Name
Do I need to take off the existing + and - plugs out first then put my ones on? Or I can just put my plug over the top of the existing plugs?

Thanks All appreciate ur help

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Do I need to take off the existing + and - plugs out first then put my ones on? Or I can just put my plug over the top of the existing plugs?

Thanks All appreciate ur help
If you are referring to putting in the RCA plug in with the terminals already connected to the machine, yes you can. I hope that's your question.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
It doesn't matter how you connect them, the motor will run in one or the other direction, which is no problem at all as the needle gets moved either way.
very true but … if the motor has carbon brushes (some are brushless) and has some hours on it and worn to the roundness of the armature then now reversing the rotation can break the brushes on their thinnest parts, it is usually a good idea to observe which way the cam rotates and try to keep it running the same way to prevent premature failure of the motor, rule of thumb is cam wheels run clockwise looking at the front of the cam.
personally I would ensure it runs the correct way even if it means stripping the linkages off the cam to be 100% certain.

Burt

Premium
First Name
Burt
very true but … if the motor has carbon brushes (some are brushless) and has some hours on it and worn to the roundness of the armature then now reversing the rotation can break the brushes on their thinnest parts, it is usually a good idea to observe which way the cam rotates and try to keep it running the same way to prevent premature failure of the motor, rule of thumb is cam wheels run clockwise looking at the front of the cam.
personally I would ensure it runs the correct way even if it means stripping the linkages off the cam to be 100% certain.
I've always made sure to be running clockwise, good to know there's more to it than just my ocd.. I even feel like my DC motors run smoother.. that explains why thanks

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Most of these motors are small and don't have carbon brushes simply because there's no space in the motor housing. I agree with the fact that it's better to have them running in the same direction always but in this case I don't think learner has made a considerable amount of hours on his machine to make a real difference.

learner

Basic
First Name
Most of these motors are small and don't have carbon brushes simply because there's no space in the motor housing. I agree with the fact that it's better to have them running in the same direction always but in this case I don't think learner has made a considerable amount of hours on his machine to make a real difference.

Thanks Mirand. It worked, though this is the first time running the dragonfly clone and it feels really fast, powerful, loud, and more vibration compared to my rotary pen. Maybe it’s just the loudness making it seem more powerful lol.

Can I ask what voltage you normally run the dragonfly clone at?

Remove Ads

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Thanks Mirand. It worked, though this is the first time running the dragonfly clone and it feels really fast, powerful, loud, and more vibration compared to my rotary pen. Maybe it’s just the loudness making it seem more powerful lol.

Can I ask what voltage you normally run the dragonfly clone at?
There is no normal voltage, it all depends on what you're doing and how, shading, lines, packing, your hand speed, the type of skin, etc etc. And in this case I do have a clone and have used it once, but I prefer the CNC Q2 clone I have.
Btw. it is normal for these machine to make more noise. This is mostly because the moving parts are located outside of the housing. In a pen type machine they are covered by the pen housing reducing the noise involved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.