Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Recommendations for New Tattooers/Tattoos Kits

First Name
Anelise
Hi- I'm super new! :)

Trying to learn to tattoo on my own since I have no one to teach me, and I'm feeling overwhelmed with all of the information online, hence why I wanted someone IRL to teach me. LUCKILY though, I found this forum which I've been reading for a few days now. I was wondering if someone could help out with some recommendations for a kit or maybe product recommendations for someone new?
I think I've got a proper list of everything I need....I'm looking to spend up to $500 on equipment to begin but am scared I'll be scammed lol! Ya girl is latinx, GNC and a full time 9-5 worker, trying to put my money in the right place the first time as I can't afford to buy multiples :/

I would appreciate and love any sort of help <3

bodey

Premium
First Name
Bodey
I threw together a nice liner the other day starting with an eBay frame and added new springs and Forward coils. Decent way to start figuring out how it all works and how to tune and to save a little money. If you want something pre-made, there are good builders on eBay. The stuff that Xeneeph guy makes seems solid, I've never bought one though.

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
if you are going with coil machines then imo get a nice thick solid iron frame to soak up vibrations and give you a stable needle, make sure the vice is of a solid design, get some decent needles, don't have to be stupid expensive, a needles a needle, it's more about how they've been soldered so check the configuration with an eye loupe. Get fat disposable tubes for more control, get good ink (not chinese) and most important get a real good quality clipcord/footswitch/powersupply as thats where a lot of your problems stem from. If you are going rotary or pen ignore all the above.

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
As far as ink goes, I really like Waverly Color. Get the sample/travel set. Good bang for the buck imo. I like Kylin Coil machines found on Ebay but now they have a US distributor and I don't know the address of the top but you can find it with a quick google.

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi Analise were you thinking coils or rotary machines ?

First Name
Samson
Oh, great! it is nice to hear that you are going to open your own tattoo business and you want to learn by your own. But, are you licensed? You cannot start a business without the proper license. And, are you well trained on doing the tattoo? Do you know how to use the needle or the tattoo machine? If no, you are taking a wrong step.

Parrington21

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Ben
I started with a cheap Ebay kit. Think it was around £50 the cheap needles and cheap Chinese ink worked fine on pig skin and fruit. Then slowly upgrade bits if your still interested. Post some pictures and people on here will be honest with you. Best way to learn.

Chopper20

Premium
First Name
Andy
Hi Anelise, I'm new to tattooing also and I feel your pain. The amount of information is so varied it's difficult to make sense of it. This forum has been great. If you go premium you can download a manual that covers some basics.

The machine I have is: Dragonhawk Tattoo Kit Rotary Tattoo Machine Pen Power Supply Tattoo Needles Foot Pedal Tattoo Supply BJT-333: Amazon.co.uk: Beauty
My friend has owned a Tattoo shop for 20 years. When I took the machine to him he was sceptical at first but when he used it he said "Mate, you've got a little gem here!"

I've tried a few different inks and the best I've used are these (arrived today): Silverback Ink® Black Th1rt3en and 3 Shade Grey Wash Series - Complete Set of 4 Inks
Tried these for a few hours this evening and they're instantly better than what I was using before.

I've tried quite a few different cartridges and I really like these: Holy Grail Prestige Needle Cartridges -12s
They have a mixed trial box so you can try a few out but I ended up going with a 5 round liner and 7 curved magnum. They seem to be sufficient for the small pieces I'm practicing with.

I started on fake skin but found it quite rubbery. I popped into my local butchers and he gave me a ton of pig skin...if you can put up with the smell I found it was much better to practice on.