Removing Stencil from Pigskin?

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Hi all. I've been practicing a lot on pigskin recently and I'm slowly getting the hang of it, but I'm having a problem getting the stencil off the skin. I've tried the alco-swabs that you use on human skin, I've tried scrubbing at it with a nail brush and soap, but nothing seems to work.

I know it's not important since it's just practice, but ideally I'd like to see how accurate my linework is, which is difficult with the stencil still on there. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to remove it, or is that yet another downside to the piggy skins?

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
Isopropyl alcohol mixed with a little distilled water, thats what they use in the shops for removing carbon, cleaning machines etc.

skinpix

Premium
First Name
Mark
Hi Rachael,i just use green soap for cleaning piggy skin...if it needs a stronger clean,i use neat dettol.....hope this helps.....;)

fahey1981

Premium
First Name
shea thomas
hey, i know where you are coming from. used to have the same problem. a tip i learned is to use hand sanitizer. i use plain old radox or tesco own. whatever the misus has sitting at the side of the sink. usually does the job for me.

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Thanks for all the replies. I've tried most of these including hand soap, green soap and dettol, but I haven't tried the alcohol mixture. I'll probably have to try that. But, does anyone know where I'd get hold of Isopropyl alcohol?

It seems others don't seem to have quite as much truouble as me with this problem. I've used pig skin from different place (so it can't be the way it's stored at a certain place, etc), and applied the stencil using different things like dettol, green soap and even just plain ol' water. And I always have the same problem.

The only other thing I can think is, I used a desk lamp held over the work area when I'm tattooing that gets pretty hot. I wonder if the heat from the lamp can affect it, possibly? Hehe. I'm baffled about this one!

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
Alcohol can be purchased from chemists or online, mix with distilled water you can use it to clean and steralise human skin, cleaning down machines and clip cords, power supply controls, seating and if you put a transfer in the wrong place or the client doesnt like the placement it will remove the carbon easily.

If you apply to broken skin it can smart a little but not too bad.