Review of Cheyenne Hawk Spirit

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi all,

I realise not all are keen to use a rotary machine but having now had - and used the Hawk several times, I feel it is certainly worth a mention.

I hold up my hands and admit that the constant tweaking and changing of springs and making adjustments to the coil machines is not something I am particularly keen on - and although I learned to do it, I much prefer the simplicity of the Hawk.

It is lovely and light, smooth and constant and an absolute pleasure to use. The quiet motor is a joy - I can sit and tattoo for 4-6 hours and there's not even a glimmer of a headache!

The down side has to be the cost of the needle cartridges - *£25 ish for a box of 10. I have found a Canadian company who sell them for around $20 for 20 cartridges - and again, having used them, can recommend both the company on their quick and efficient shipping and the quality of the needle cartridges themselves. http://www.ttechtattoo.com/index.php?main_page=categories&caid=1&zenid=81muhg170s21tua48nmpk0c5h5

I understand this won't appeal to everyone - but if you are considering buying a good machine, this is a fantastic piece of kit and I would give it a 9/10. (cost of needles is - for me - the only negative).

It is amazing!

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
useful! thanks!

If you are already using disposable tubes and prepacked needles this probably wont work out to be much more expensive except say when practising.

The extra 10 or so per tattoo built into the overall cost of the tattoo will (I expect) soon get lost in a whirlpool of satisfaction; both yours and your clients.

15 more hours of tattooing and I can think about getting me one... as you can see I am counting down the hours :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
useful! thanks!

If you are already using disposable tubes and prepacked needles this probably wont work out to be much more expensive except say when practising.

The extra 10 or so per tattoo built into the overall cost of the tattoo will (I expect) soon get lost in a whirlpool of satisfaction; both yours and your clients.

15 more hours of tattooing and I can think about getting me one... as you can see I am counting down the hours :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

I love it so much rob, I'm already considering buying another - in case I should ever need a back up. I did the tiniest detailed tat for my skinny little daughter yesterday on her little chicken bone wrist (hehehe) and I was able to use the machine so comfortably. When I have tried similar work with the coil machine I found it much more difficult. Considering most of the walk ins just want something small it just makes things easy - quick set up, no mucking around and off you go! Min charge *£30 - I can afford 2 needles and still make a decent profit.

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
I expect the quick walk-ins are the bread and butter so heres hoping you get more than you can handle :)

It sure looks handy - I can easily put in 5-6 hours with my stealth types, so I cant wait to try the Hawk.

Curious about bagging and autoclaving etc. is it technically the same as with a coil/rotary?

I assume there is no need for rubber bands either?

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Hi Dawn
I am thinking of getting one of these and am trying to get as much info as possable eg what voltage would you run on for either lining or shading 'solid colour?would the needle settings be the same as for a coil machine?is it better to use a slower or faster pace'?Ihave read that it can be rougher on the skin due to no spring set up your advice would be much appreciated 'thanks :icon_smile:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi Jim,

pretty much on a par with the coils - although you can tell once using it whether it is running at the right speed for the particular skin. One guy had very tough skin so I upped it to 10.5 for lining - 9 for shading.

I have found it a dream to use Jim - and clients who already have tattoos - or some I had tattooed with the coils have said how much easier it is on the skin/dealing with the pain.

I did a whole arm line and grey wash shade (5 hours) on a guy on Monday. He came in yesterday to show me how well it was doing - and apart from a few tiny flakes on the tail (dragon) - you would never have believed 5 days ago it was red and sore!

I'd say they cause much less skin trauma because you can adjust the needle depth very accurately. Max it will extend is 2.5mm - so you aren't just guessing like you do with coils. This is especially good for tiny framed ladies who want wrist and feet tatts. You just turn it down to say 1.5mm - it's brilliant, honestly - and I think worth every penny!

Hope this helps,

Dawn :icon_cool::icon_cool::icon_cool::icon_cool::icon_cool::icon_cool:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
I expect the quick walk-ins are the bread and butter so heres hoping you get more than you can handle :)

It sure looks handy - I can easily put in 5-6 hours with my stealth types, so I cant wait to try the Hawk.

Curious about bagging and autoclaving etc. is it technically the same as with a coil/rotary?

I assume there is no need for rubber bands either?

Hi Rob,

you can't auto clave the motor as its electric - you can, if you wish, auto clave the stem. I cover the stem with fresh cling film before every tattoo, and find that if I pull the cable cover up, it fits right around the motor and covers it completely. Obviously the needle cartridges just 'twist and click' - they come in sterilized blister packs - and the needles dont extend until the machine is running. The needle/tip is the only part which comes into contact with the client. And no, - no elastic bands!

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Thanks for that Dawn ,all the info i've got so far seems positive i think i will be going for one of these,:icon_biggrin:

malagaspike

Premium
First Name
Nigel
Hi All, I am buying a Cheyenne Hawk tomorrow direct from a supplier here in Spain and the prices are really good compared to elsewhere . Aswell as buying one for myself i have a meeting with them ,as to selling these to the U.K market. After alot of research this could be very interesting as they stock the whole range of needles ect , and the fact that buying from here the postage and no import taxes are a big plus also saving time money and less hassle.
I now need to get the best prices possible from them. I will keep you informed :icon_rolleyes:

j3rz3y1

Premium
First Name
Frank
So WiLd finaly got her HAwk grats hun I need to here all about it . Did you open your shop yet or are you tattooing at home , let me know im curious :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: Ed:icon_cool:

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
I've just done the same mate!!!missus don't need to know'yet:icon_twisted:

Oh NOOOOOO, the missus started querying me about my tattooing accounts this morning :icon_eek: , as now that my credit card should be almost clear, my tattooing money can go towards our next holiday.... what noise does a crow make FARRRKKKKK!!! :icon_cry:

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
I have just used my new ,hawk'for the first time and it reallyis a joy to use:icon_biggrin: i have got a fellows arm to work on 'he has a load of badly done shading and stars to be filled in to solid colour 'loads of work for me to do on it and he is happy for me to hone my new found 'skills' on him done the first bit yesterday and so far he's happy:icon_mrgreen:

13crows

Premium
First Name
neil
not long fully converted over to the cheyenne hawk ,,totaly love it and everyone that iv used it on has said how much smoother it is and healing time has shortened down to a week ,,,,will try out them t-tech tips soon they seem to have a longer range of sizes thanks for the link wild....be nice to see some work from you guys thats been done by the hawk :icon_biggrin:

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
be nice to see some work from you guys thats been done by the hawk :icon_biggrin:

Hiya... nearly everything in my wee album has been produced using the Hawk...
http://www.helpmetattoo.com/forum/album.php?albumid=101

its lurvely!!! Although I am still adjusting to portraits with it... I was getting softer tones with the my previous rotary - this is just an adjustment to style I think and getting used to the new power settings vs hand speed etc. Switching between needle configurations inside of tattoos is just fantastic; really fantastic!!!

javier

Basic
First Name
javier
Hi Dawn,

I am really glad you posted here, i am new to this, and bought the cheyenne hawk a week ago, Had some serious problems with the set up, i mean the volts mainly.
I am only tattooing pig skin atm, i was doing it at 7.5 .. 8 V .. after you mentioned you tattooed someone with hard skin at 10.5 ... well i went up to 11V on the pig skin .. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!
Thanks for your review!!!!
You made my day mate!!

thejackco

Basic
First Name
Jack
Hi All, I am buying a Cheyenne Hawk tomorrow direct from a supplier here in Spain and the prices are really good compared to elsewhere . Aswell as buying one for myself i have a meeting with them ,as to selling these to the U.K market. After alot of research this could be very interesting as they stock the whole range of needles ect , and the fact that buying from here the postage and no import taxes are a big plus also saving time money and less hassle.
I now need to get the best prices possible from them. I will keep you informed :icon_rolleyes:

Hi, I am from granada, I also own a hawk spirit. Where do you get the cartridges here in spain? do you know any other place than pro-arts?