P Roatary Machines

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi Everybody

Yeserday (Sunday 22nd) I went to the Somerset Tattoo Convention and was surprised to see that around 75% of all the artists were using what looked like rotary machines especially when shading & colouring. The machines didn't look like the normal rotarys that I have seen EG Stealth & Jack Hammers. They were a different shape but seemed very good and are obviously very popular. Does anybody know what these might be and where to get them because I have spent a few hours today looking on the internet and can't find anything. If anybody has any info I would be very gratefull.
Thanks.:icon_confused:

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
i have a strong suspion these machines you speak of is caled the cheyenne hawk ;)

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi - they prob were Hawks.
can buy from Barber DTS or Killer Ink - only 2 suppliers in England.
Matt at Killer does the best package deal - I ordered mine through him.
Its a fab machine - I love it - highly recommend - but they are a bit pricey - but a few tats will cover the cost. Can also buy the needle cartridges from a Canadian co, much cheaper.:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Thanks all of you for your replies. It seems that they were Stigma Rotarys and looking at the work being produced they must be pretty good although quite expensive. I will try to get hold of 1 but Barber are the only UK distributors and are special order only.

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi Pat,
another new one is the 'Dragon fly'. Again pricey - but I noticed lots of the pro's using these. They get excellent reviews - although there is a problem with ink riding up the needle.... Apparently to rectify, you have to put a dab of pet jelly on the needle and this corrects it. For this reason, I decided not to buy - but possibly they will correct it in manufacture in the future.

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
Hi - they prob were Hawks.
can buy from Barber DTS or Killer Ink - only 2 suppliers in England.
Matt at Killer does the best package deal - I ordered mine through him.
Its a fab machine - I love it - highly recommend - but they are a bit pricey - but a few tats will cover the cost. Can also buy the needle cartridges from a Canadian co, much cheaper.:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:
Sorry to go off topic guys but Dawn how do you dispose of the cartridges - or do the needles extract just like conventional machines?

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Sorry to go off topic guys but Dawn how do you dispose of the cartridges - or do the needles extract just like conventional machines?
hi the cartridges gets disposed of in the sharps bin they cartridges comes complete sealed "units" the needle grouping cannot be removed from the "tip" ;) hope this helps

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
hi the cartridges gets disposed of in the sharps bin they cartridges comes complete sealed "units" the needle grouping cannot be removed from the "tip" ;) hope this helps
sorry I know I should start another topic but hey, call me lazy....

So the cartridge just goes in the sharps bin - easy. What about keeping the rest of the machine sterile? Can you still bag them like conventional machines or is it a definite autoclave job?

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
sorry I know I should start another topic but hey, call me lazy....

So the cartridge just goes in the sharps bin - easy. What about keeping the rest of the machine sterile? Can you still bag them like conventional machines or is it a definite autoclave job?
with the "hawk" its a simple case of pulling the clipcord cover over the machine and down the grip everything gets bagged no auto claving with a hawk ;)

fahey1981

Premium
Media
First Name
shea thomas
hey, the hawk is a great machine. lightweight and effortless. cartridges are a bit dearer though. have also tried the dragonfly tattoo machine. also extremely light and silent and turns out the same quality work as the hawk. especially perfect for shading and colouring, the great exception with the dragonfly is that you can use standard needle tubes etc.