Rotary Tattoo Machines

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
Hi all, im thinking of buying a rotary tattoo machine and was just wondering if any of you guys are using one and if so what machine have you got and how good or bad is it??:icon_biggrin:

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Stealth version 2 are really good, no need to fine tune and spend time tweaking springs etc

Steve

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
You may have seen my review on the Cheyenne Hawk Spirit - which I love, and think is excellent. Bit pricey - but aren't all the good ones.

Also looked at the Dragon Fly. They get great reviews - so am thinking of maybe having one of these...

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
Ive just ordered a stealth original liner to see what all the fuss is about, if its not as good as my coils it will be up for sale lol!

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Silky smooth to operate, no messing around with springs and contact screws. I got the all rounder bearing so i can line with it, pack & shade all in one

I just spent 2 hrs cleaning and tweaking 5 spring machines, 5 mins was spent on the stealth!!

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I'v just paid *£30 with post for one of ebay and it looks and works like a stealth, I was very surprised how accurate it is, it also seems to put a finer line down, I didn't want to pay a lot of money just incase I didn't get on with rotary machines, in fact i like the rotary machines so much I 'm going to save up for the hawk now that i'm satisfied that the canadian company that sells the needles for the hawk are the real deal, I will probably use the rotary just for outlines just until I get used to putting colour in with it, while i'm on the subject of the hawk if you can't afford one at the moment you can get a conversion kit which you can use with any coil os rotary machine but use the needle cartridges for the hawk and it's not dear, it is $15 and then you need the cartridges, i'v ordered one so when it comes i'll let you know if they are any good or not, ebay number 310321072857
regards
Tony
IMG_0163.jpg '

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
I'v just paid *£30 with post for one of ebay and it looks and works like a stealth, I was very surprised how accurate it is, it also seems to put a finer line down, I didn't want to pay a lot of money just incase I didn't get on with rotary machines, in fact i like the rotary machines so much I 'm going to save up for the hawk now that i'm satisfied that the canadian company that sells the needles for the hawk are the real deal, I will probably use the rotary just for outlines just until I get used to putting colour in with it, while i'm on the subject of the hawk if you can't afford one at the moment you can get a conversion kit which you can use with any coil os rotary machine but use the needle cartridges for the hawk and it's not dear, it is $15 and then you need the cartridges, i'v ordered one so when it comes i'll let you know if they are any good or not, ebay number 310321072857
regards
Tony
View attachment 1938 '
Is this one of the cheap knockoffs? I have a book with one for $30 looks just like this. I might get it.

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Ive see a few that look the same, but do they run the same and its the motor inside a cheap naff one, the stealths are about *£59 with RCA, so half price is tempting, there must be one thats just as good, they could even be identical inside and out, just not called stealth for copy rights reasons.

only bit i don't like on mine is the RCA, it works loose and the volts drop, i rubber band mine to the machine to hold it firm on, not the best invention lol

but yeah the machine is good. i think you will be shocked when you trying it, i not used coil, but i got one and done some tats on fruit, but the stealth is so better for me. but thats just me. But coils look the dogs dangley bits. i want to collect coil machine cos they do look so cool.

let us know how ya get on, and if you find a good one

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
regards
Tony
View attachment 1938 '
Hi Tony' hope i am understanding you correctly'do you mean that a kit is available to convert a coil machine to take the cartridges from a 'hawk'if so where can these be purchased?

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Yes Jim, I have ordered one, they are 15 canadian dollars and that works out at just under ten pound, be carful if you order one because you get about 5 delivery options and the cheapest will take between 1 and 3 months to deliver, I went for UK small parcels by air, I ordered two boxes of cartridges as well.
the link is www.ttechtattoo.com
hawk.jpg

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
My stealth arrived this morning, plugged it in and loaded it with needle and tube to run test it, sounds really weird compared to the buzz of coils but nice and smooth running, setting the tube and needle is strange to do compared with a coil machine as sometimes the cam can be up other times down but guess I will get used to it, cant wait to try it on skin, may give it a bash tomorrow night.

What volts do you guys run yours at as it is hard for me to judge the hit compared with coils, mine will run at 4 volts but not sure if it will hit hard enough at that.

Also any tips on needle and tube setting, mine is the liner with the 1mm throw, all I did was set the needle to the tip at top of the cam and this gives about 1.5mm depth at bottom of cam if you see what I mean.

Spiral

Premium
First Name
martin
i run a stealth v2 for lining (top machine) and use a dragonfly for packing in and shading a really sweet machine highly recomend them both. the nedz micro rotary is another worth a look at.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I use the hawk now and it really is a top machine, i am looking for another rotary but one that takes standard needles, the nedz is looking good at the moment but I haven't seen any reviews of it yet so if anybody is using one can you let me know the good and bad points if any, thanks.

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Hey folks, if you look, Ive actually started a couple of threads on the Rotary's and have reviewed the ones I use. I would appreciate all feedback.
As far as the Stealth and other rotary's you see on amazon and Ebay, these are considered low end, the reason being is the manufacture of the motor which will primarily be made in China. It stands to reason that if your paying under $100 for any Rotary machine that is what your getting. The motor alone for a quality Rotary will set you back more than that.
Not withstanding it doesnt mean your getting junk if you have a stealth or other brand of machine it just means it may not last you for the next 10yrs. Other than that it should be just as smooth operating as any other high end rotary, its a motor turning a needle (pretty simple). What it boils down to is preference over which machine suits your style and needs better.

Spiral

Premium
First Name
martin
I use the hawk now and it really is a top machine, i am looking for another rotary but one that takes standard needles, the nedz is looking good at the moment but I haven't seen any reviews of it yet so if anybody is using one can you let me know the good and bad points if any, thanks.
Hi, toetoe62, the nedsz works on a similar priciple to the dragonfly and the stigma, if you are after an all rounder the nedz 3.5 stroke machine would be best and then change the spring to suit,harder spring for lining softer for packing in or shading, turn the top adjuster to fine tune, @ *£270 its a good price for what you get, i used to own one (5mm stroke) i found it to be solid and stable, only sold it as i bought a dragonfly as its lighter in the hand than nedz, if the dragonfly or stigma is too pricey in my opinion the next best price wize has got to be nedz, having the adjuster on any quality rotary is the way forward i think, they do sell cheap versions from china with an adjuster on ebay, but cant speak for them as to how stable an effetive they are, i suppose in a way you get what you pay for.(im not a great fan of the cheap imports) .Nedz, dragonfly, stigma they are top draw,there are of course others but these are my favs, it would be good to see the stealth evolve to using a adjuster, hope this helps

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Thanks Martin for the information, I started off with a cheap version of the stealth, just to find out if I liked the feel of them and I did so much i had the hawk and if you have only used the low end machines then you wouldn't really know the difference between the low end and the high end but there is a big difference, with noise, vibration and even balance and it would be very hard for me now to not save that little bit harder for a top end machine. which ever machine I buy it will be one that you can adjust the hit from soft to hard and so that narrows it down a bit and i think if the nedz is *£270 and the dragon fly is over *£300 it may be worth the extra push.