Scar Cover Up ( WARNING: SOME PICS ARE A LITTLE GRAPHIC)

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Hello all,
This is a project piece I've been working on for the last few months. It started when a mate of mine got a tattoo a few years back. This was done in a reputable shop, and not by me. here's a pic of day 1:

But soon after something strange happened and the tattoo peeled from the skin. I have never seen this happen, or head of it until now. ( WARNING: SOME PICS ARE A LITTLE GRAPHIC)

And finally it became a shadowy scar. This is how i first saw it and was asked to cover it:

The scaring had over 2 years to heal, I decided to do what I could. The client said he wanted to try to keep the original shape of the design but that I could do what I wanted to it. I decided to make the tribal design appear as though it was carved out of the flesh, but keep it black and grey in order to see how it would heal. I used a 5RL, 5RS and a 9RS for the shading:

I was extremely gentile with this one, because of the delicate tissue. The client was happy to come back for as many touch-up sessions as it needed so I kept my machines low and my washes light.This time the ink held beautifully! It held so well we decided to add some colour, and I suggested some blood splatter under it:

He came back for another session of touch-ups yesterday (3rd session) and requested some more blood. This is how it looks now:

I used the same needle groupings for everything, 5RL, 5RS and 9RS. It still needs a little white in the new blood splatter and im sure it will lighten some more so I wouldn't be surprised if this goes into the 5th or 6th touch-up sessions.

Thanks for looking, all questions and comments welcome!

Cheers,
Steve

Remove Ads

fiveksspeed

Premium
First Name
Kevin
hi steve, nice cover up he must be pleased with the results, the blood looks great very nice effect, any ideas on why the first tattoo went so wrong?? im only just starting out with tattoos and that is a scary result.. kev

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
hi steve, nice cover up he must be pleased with the results, the blood looks great very nice effect, any ideas on why the first tattoo went so wrong?? im only just starting out with tattoos and that is a scary result.. kev
No idea mate. Im not even sure what happened, let alone why. Looks as though the skin rejected the ink or something. It doesn't look like an infection to me, because infections generally get very inflamed.

Im not sure what preventative measures could be taken against this happening, but whatever did happen it seems to be very rare.

Tarantula

Premium
First Name
Jais
Awesome job saving that for him! Looks like it must have been the ink being rejected, one of the pics it looks like the whole depth of the tattooed skin has been pushed out and the red spots around it look like an allergic reaction. Many years ago I had a tattoo done in a shop and they told me to use baby oil as part of the healing process, I found out then that I was allergic to baby oil :( fortunately the colour didnt come out of tat too badly but I did have red spots all around it just like the ones in the pics.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
That looks overworked, look at the perimeter of the tattoo, very raised and then I guess he used a cream such as bep but saturated it, I have seen it happen, doesnt look infected just badly done.

inkstar

Premium
First Name
OG
That looks overworked, look at the perimeter of the tattoo, very raised and then I guess he used a cream such as bep but saturated it, I have seen it happen, doesnt look infected just badly done.
yeh bang on ,it looks very overworked and to deep ive seen a few like this with soild black work they fill it in but it still looks grey to white but its act soild black so cos of the grey-white look they just keep going over it and over it till it looks jet black my boss told me any more than 3 times in the same spot will scab with soild black , very nice cover up man that must of hurt like **** when that was healing poor guy, you would all most think it was done by some one who duznt no how to use a flat shader ive seen flats do that if not used right or hes pulled the skin to tight when doing it and it ripped the skin as well

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Thanks guys, he's very happy with it, so in happy! Yeah, My first theory was something like that, over worked and maybe too deep. He also has psoriasis too (hence the red spots). He also got some tribal on his back and it healed fine, same day, same artist, same ink, but it makes me think perhaps bs set his machines and power for doing some hardcore black fill on a back and then moved to a more sensitive area but left the machines hitting way too hard. I'm not sure if the artist changed needles between pieces either, it's possible the needle was damaged between pieces and tore up the arm.

Those are just my theories, either way the ink seems to be healing real nice now, so he is not going back to the shop again.