• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Scratchy Rake Marks - Can’t figure it out

Basic
First Name
John
Q1 - I have been practicing doing one pass lines on fake skin and have a problem that I cannot solve. My lines are not solid and have scratchy rake marks in them. I have tried different technique variables, different fake skin, different needle brands and still getting the same problem. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to solve this problem it’s driving me crazy?

Q2 - Another thing is how can you tell if the fake skin you buy is either silicone or rubber? Is there a way to tell?

Here is a picture of the rake marks uploaded to imgBB:
58121130-117-A-4-B5-F-B40-E-97-EB858-A2-A08

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
R1: Looks to me like you don't have enough ink flow. Lines are irregular with parts inked right and others like nearly without ink.

R2: silicone is heat resistant, rubber will burn.

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
Some cheap hard fake skin will spread the needles apart , and once spread they can pick up debris that will keep them spread

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Q1: Very common on fake skin, part of it being that fake skin doesn't react the same way human skin does. It doesn't "contract" the way human skin does. You can't stretch fake the way you stretch human. If you use a rs it will be more obvious than if you use a bugpin rl. Or a mag, then it's very obvious.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
without knowing what needles you're using it's hard to say exactly. But most likely you just need to slow down or get more force. Fake skin doesn't penetrate as easily as flesh. Something you MUST keep in mind when you move on to working in flesh. You'll need slower speed and more force on fake skin than you ever will on flesh. Find the balance that gets it in there then practice maintaining that. THAT is where the fake skin comes in handy, allowing you to practice consistency.

Remove Ads

Esq

Premium
First Name
Esq
I know what you're talking about! I get it on my shitty fake skins all the time, I hate it

Basic
First Name
John
without knowing what needles you're using it's hard to say exactly. But most likely you just need to slow down or get more force. Fake skin doesn't penetrate as easily as flesh. Something you MUST keep in mind when you move on to working in flesh. You'll need slower speed and more force on fake skin than you ever will on flesh. Find the balance that gets it in there then practice maintaining that. THAT is where the fake skin comes in handy, allowing you to practice consistency.
I’m using 7RL and tried 9RL. I have tried slowing hand speed down, even changed voltages etc. Also tried 1mm thick fake skin then 3mm fake skin. And on this 3mm fake skin I can’t put a dark line, it’s just dull scratch marks. Which pisses me off as you spend money on trying different fake skins and the product doesn’t even hold ink well I assume.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
Are you using coils? Changing voltage does different things between coils and rosaries. That's why I said you likely need increased force. Coil would be an increase in voltage and rosaries would be an increase in stroke length. You also haven't mentioned if you've adjusted your depth at all.

Here's some pieces on really thin Reelskin. Some lines are light and scratchy because I intentionally went light with a shader. Plenty of other lines are sunken in solid. All by varying the force of my machines and my hand speed.

You'll just need tosow down and figure how to make your supplies work for you and then be consistent with that technique.

This is all coils BTW. Last photo shows my approximate needle depth in the skin. I hang twice this amount out of my tube. 20210530_211758.jpg 20210530_211812.jpg 20210530_211824.jpg 20210530_211917.jpg

Basic
First Name
John
Are you using coils? Changing voltage does different things between coils and rosaries. That's why I said you likely need increased force. Coil would be an increase in voltage and rosaries would be an increase in stroke length. You also haven't mentioned if you've adjusted your depth at all.

Here's some pieces on really thin Reelskin. Some lines are light and scratchy because I intentionally went light with a shader. Plenty of other lines are sunken in solid. All by varying the force of my machines and my hand speed.

You'll just need tosow down and figure how to make your supplies work for you and then be consistent with that technique.

This is all coils BTW. Last photo shows my approximate needle depth in the skin. I hang twice this amount out of my tube.
I am using a rotary pen. I have tried every technique whether increasing/decreasing voltage, hand speed etc. Also I have tried 2-3 different fake skin. My one pass lines are really dull and rake marks. Not sure why I’m not able to get a solid saturated line like others.

Could it be my ink? I’m using Algory BLAK INK.

Can anyone recommend me a few Amazon/Ebay silicone fake skins around 1.5-2mm thickness that take ink well?

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
weak lines are from moving too fast and the machine running too slow. There are no good fake skins in my opinion...all require multiple passes to get a line in or color in.

prisoners get solid blacks in with ash...probably not the ink. :)

these are the best i've used...

Burt

Premium
First Name
Burt
You might just need a little bit more pressure from your hand, not pushing down hard but not just floating over it too. Just keep messing around with the fake skin, doesn't matter if you go too slow or too deep your not messing anyone up

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I’m using 7RL and tried 9RL. I have tried slowing hand speed down, even changed voltages etc. Also tried 1mm thick fake skin then 3mm fake skin. And on this 3mm fake skin I can’t put a dark line, it’s just dull scratch marks. Which pisses me off as you spend money on trying different fake skins and the product doesn’t even hold ink well I assume.

How many hourse did you spent on your fake skins?
I did around 20 tattoos yet (on real skin, never hit fake skin)and i can tell you the hours count is very relevant in terms of progress. I guess i must near 80 hours and i can see the evolution and progress.

Also, did you just try lines or did you follow a stencil?
If you link your trials to a clear goal instaed of just playing around, you should feel what went wrong and what is working.

Peace and patience,

DKJ

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.