Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Slow progress is better than no progress

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
So, I've been at this since September last year but have had about 6 weeks out in total for various reasons. Anyway, here is the progress I've made so far. I had my first crack at shading on the dinosaur on Thursday and it's not good at all, but I learnt a few things whilst I was doing it, so it wasn't a total waste...

The two tribal designs I've been using as testers to try out different needles and machines, hence the inconsistencies.

Mostly 3 and 5rl used for line work and filling, with a 9rl on the left side on the tribal for comparison. 9rs used to shade the bit on the Dino's leg.

So, criticism welcome, good or bad....

Remove Ads Close

Attachments

Last edited:

Rossco

Donator +++ 
Premium
First Name
well done..progress is progress (y)..practice every day if you can that way u keep ur hand and eye in..try a 7rl too its a bit more forgiving ..im not a fan od round shaders i try and use a curved mag most of the time

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
That's what I call practicing!!! So much more important to get acquainted with machine, inks and needles, not aiming to do masterpieces in the beginning ⭐ I don't have much more to say about it, just keep it up (y)

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Thanks guys, your comments mean a lot. In all honesty, my mentor is a bit useless, and has had a 19 year old teaching me the ropes. Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid, and a good tattoo artist, but it isn't what I signed up for, so most of my learning has been trial and error and YouTube videos.... Oh, and now the training booklet from this site (very good by the way)

One thing I wanted to ask though, was, am I right in thinking that pulling the machine downwards will give a more uneven line as opposed to going up/forwards, or sideways? I'm sure I read it here somewhere and thought it made sense, just wanted to double check.

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
it can do, but more so with very small needle groups as they have the tendency to flex if there's nothing to stabilise them.

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
it can do, but more so with very small needle groups as they have the tendency to flex if there's nothing to stabilise them.
Ok, so it's not necessarily a big issue, if I were to use, say a 7rl and above? I'm using 3 and 5rl right now but am about to pick up some 7 needles and tips soon to add to my kit.

Goldwingdaz

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Daz
If you imagine, most the pressure to stabilize the needles in the tip is at the bottom, so forward and sideways you are sat nice and tight on that bottom direction (especially in diamond tips) , when you pull, especially fast lines with a good liner, those needles are trying to lift up and the stability of the pressure downward is gone, this allows them to bounce around more and you get those wobbles. Most artists i have watched who pull lines tend to have a little more pressure on the needles, not something I would like to do as this makes the machine work harder and soon messes up disposable tips.

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
If you imagine, most the pressure to stabilize the needles in the tip is at the bottom, so forward and sideways you are sat nice and tight on that bottom direction (especially in diamond tips) , when you pull, especially fast lines with a good liner, those needles are trying to lift up and the stability of the pressure downward is gone, this allows them to bounce around more and you get those wobbles. Most artists i have watched who pull lines tend to have a little more pressure on the needles, not something I would like to do as this makes the machine work harder and soon messes up disposable tips.
Cheers Daz, that makes sense.

Also, when shading, I presume I should cover the whole area to be shaded in the lightest tone, then slowly grade it in? I know now that I went too hard on the one part I shaded, which I expect was from trying to work from dark to light, rather than light to dark?

Cheers guys.

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Hey guys, here's a couple more practice pieces I did this week. I wasn't going for any form of realism, just getting used to my new disposable grip/tip/tube combos. Way lighter and smaller than my aluminium grips so it took a while to steady my hand. Either way, critique away.

And yes, I know my shading on the neck is waaaay to heavy, but as we all know, practice makes a bit better... 😊

Thanks

Attachments

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
cross is good, solid black and it doesn't look beat up, but the face isn't so good. I always try and get the 32mm grips on my disposable tubes, gives more control imo, but to each his own. Keep on banging those fake skins out.

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
cross is good, solid black and it doesn't look beat up, but the face isn't so good. I always try and get the 32mm grips on my disposable tubes, gives more control imo, but to each his own. Keep on banging those fake skins out.
Yeah, my aluminium grips is 35mm, so this one is about half the size. Really weird getting used to such a huge size difference. I know the face is a bit rough (broken lines, crap shading etc) but towards the end of the session, I started to feel the grips properly. I might wrap them in tissue before I use my grip wrap to thicken them out next time though.

Cheers, Fylfot

Hollow_man

Premium
Media
First Name
Shaun
Although the face isn’t the best I think if you spent more time on it you could get it looking brilliant, and the cross has some really good lines!!

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Although the face isn’t the best I think if you spent more time on it you could get it looking brilliant, and the cross has some really good lines!!
Yeah, I could've gone over it again, but I wanted to see what my first run was like at simple line work. I know now that I need to slow down a bit and maybe be a touch deeper, which is what I did with the cross, but my first concentrated effort I was quite pleased. Thanks for the feedback though, Hollow_man, really appreciated.

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Here my latest piece. This will be the first one I do on myself, which I'm hoping to do this week....

I will be doing another practice or two as I see now that some of the central text is off centre and the outer text is different sizes. I also want to rearrange the central text for contextual purposes All sketched freehand though, so I guess I should print the font and use that for the stencil for uniformity. Critique welcome, as always.

MalligaMallan

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Looks good!

An alternative to use print font is to do it more precise with hand drawing. Adds something to the feeling if you ask me. Print fonts can get a dead feeling (imho).

Diy look is not always bad.

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, really appreciate it!

Yeah, the centre is a bit egg shaped, but it can be corrected....

MalligaMallan, honestly, my hand writing is atrocious, but if I take my time I should get it right.

Hollow_man, yeah you're right, took a lot of concentration that's for sure!

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Im still trying to decipher the meaning in the center :unsure::unsure:o_O
It's some Illuminati type stuff mate, I'm one of the chosen.....

Nah, it's the first two letters of the post codes where me, my mum and dad were born, all play es where I've lived too; (OL for Oldham, CH for North Wales and BL for Sutton Coldfield near Brum respectively) and the year I was born, 85. It will also be placed in a North West position as Oldham is in the North West. Deep as a puddle mate.

This will be my 7th piece though, all if which have meaning behind them. I don't like getting ink for the sake of it. If it don't have meaning, it don't get inked....

Cheers

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Soooooo, I went ahead and put this on my thigh today. Still a lot if practice needed, but I'm happy with it for my first try.

I'm thinking of going over it with a thicker needle when it heals up to even it out a bit, but otherwise I'm pleased with it....

Patch72

Donator +++ 
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Russ
Soooooo, I went ahead and put this on my thigh today. Still a lot if practice needed, but I'm happy with it for my first try.

I'm thinking of going over it with a thicker needle when it heals up to even it out a bit, but otherwise I'm pleased with it....

View attachment 21014
Think your find some of the lines etc might drop out

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Hey guys, so I did this the other day with no aim other than practicing. Now, it looks shitty as the line work is too dark compared to the shading, so for a design like this done in black and grey, would I be better to only use shading instead of lining and shading? It isn't finished at this point, but thought I'd ask before I continue as I may start a new one depending on the feedback re shading over lining.

Thanks

Goldwingdaz

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Daz
Whether it is good or bad, its still practice and thats the important thing. And the lines may be better with a thin liner to stop them being bold and taking the eye from the shading so much. But try shading only and thin lining, see how it looks, Its what YOU feel is best, its all part of developing your own style. (y)

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
Whether it is good or bad, its still practice and thats the important thing. And the lines may be better with a thin liner to stop them being bold and taking the eye from the shading so much. But try shading only and thin lining, see how it looks, Its what YOU feel is best, its all part of developing your own style. (y)
Thanks Daz. It's only a small piece as it is. It's only about 4" long and was done with a 3rl. I think the skin's I'm using aren't good quality though, as it doesn't matter how many different ways I try to lay a line, I always have to do at least 2 passes to make it remotely visible. In this case I maybe should've left it light to suit the shading, but meh, now I know...

I'm ordering some different skins soon anyway, but yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm still finding what style suits me, but I'm enjoying the journey so that's what counts I guess? 😐

ThatguyTony

Premium
First Name
Tony
So I added a little to the flower above. The butterfly was used to compare my filling in with a 14rs (blue) and a 7m1 (yellow). The black was done mostly with a 9rl/RS but some of the thicker parts also with the mag.

I didn't actually plan on adding colour to the sun flower, but it think it's ok, maybe a bit more detail in the centre, but not too bad I suppose?

Thoughts? 21185