Smooth shadin tips

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
First of all the shading in your piece looks really nice as far as I can see from this pic ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป The black around here (left side) looks like it could be packed a little better.

You can do shading with any needle grouping really. Also a single needle. It all depends on what technique you use.

If using a 3rl like you did here, I would assume you use a stippling technique? Because doing traditional shading circular moves with a liner can be pretty tricky. Then I would suggest shaders or curved mags. On a small piece like this a mag would probably be too clumsy though.

So either stippling, or shoving, or circular moves. Shaders, curved mags, flat mags, liners. That's pretty much what you can choose from ๐Ÿ˜Š

Gally2020

Premium
First Name
Paul
Thank you...yes I stippled all of this so far ..I've seen people do it wanted to try myself. I will see how this turns out before doing it on my self...little project for next few days ..I'd seen people talk about the circular motions also...I'm not sure of the effect I'm trying to explain but it looks like marble statue effect..is that created with opaque grey or can black with some white be effective

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
I think you may be looking for opaque grey, yes. Black mixed with white is exactly the same as opaque grey. I bought a bottle of opaque grey a while ago, and it's mixed with exactly the same ink: black ci77266, and white, don't remember the numbers right now.

My experience with that though, is that it gets a quite dullyish beige grey tone after healing. And how could it not, with skin on top? Maybe it could be avoided with a tad of blue in it.

I LOOOVE stippling. And it's so much easier than than you would think! And you can make it real smooth, if you don't want it to be very stippled in the finished tattoo. Especially if you do it with a single needle. Loooove it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Gally2020

Premium
First Name
Paul
When stippiling on human skin do u just lightly skim across the skin allowing room for layering without skin damage...sorry 4 all questions

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
When stippiling on human skin do u just lightly skim across the skin allowing room for layering without skin damage...sorry 4 all questions
I'm doing an entire hip with a floral motif right now, where I stipple the shading, and I don't even think of how to avoid overworking the skin. It sort of comes natural when working, is my impression. You don't want to stipple too much, to avoid it getting too dark, and therefore overworking never becomes an issue. In the really black areas I of course have it in the back of my head though. When I've been working that area for a moment, it just feels like it's time to move on. If you get what I mean ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Last edited:

hdlc

Premium
Media
First Name
henry
20200621_095810.jpg

20200613_210737.jpg
These are the ink and water mix I used.

The med cap for me filled with 15 drops and I wrote how many drops the other took the last 2 wanted less then 1 drop so I filled them with water then I dip my needle in the 50/50 and dip it like 8 to 10 times in the light and like 5 times in the Xtra light. Keep an eye on the light and xtra light They darken up over time