Some Advice Needed What Technique?

inkstylus

Premium
First Name
Martin
phillips half sleeve.jpg hi, everyone
this is a piece a designed for a friend of mine currently i have the cross finished and will be uplaoding shortly.

the next step will be the rays coming from behind the cross and i need a bit of advice on how to approach it... bloodlining? or jus go straight in with the mag?

also if anyone could advise me on what kinda wash to use and how to get nice even tones without getting patchy type shading as i imagine its going to be harder than going from dark to light

thanks for any advice

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Me personally, I would bloodline the rays. As far as shading theres alot of different approaches to mixing your wash, I guess you could search and see what works for you best.
Mines pretty simple:
#16 ink pot
1 drop black/ Water
2 drop black/ Water
3 drop black/Water

It also depends on the skin tone your working with. If you got a china girl complexion then you want to use that lightest one for sure. Somebody with a darker complexion I would probably start with the 3 drops and work from there. You gotta play around with it though.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
blood lining is where you dip your needles into distiled water instead of ink, it makes a blood line so you can go back to it later and you know were you are, i personly don't think you need to blood line on this tattoo, you can almost gues where the shading should start and finish and with you asking about the shading makes me think you have not done much of it so i would mix just two large caps for this, one cap with one drop of ink and the other with two drops of ink and then fill them with distiled water, you will be surprised how fast the shading goes dark, so take your time.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
View attachment 2525 hi, everyone
this is a piece a designed for a friend of mine currently i have the cross finished and will be uplaoding shortly.

the next step will be the rays coming from behind the cross and i need a bit of advice on how to approach it... bloodlining? or jus go straight in with the mag?

also if anyone could advise me on what kinda wash to use and how to get nice even tones without getting patchy type shading as i imagine its going to be harder than going from dark to light

thanks for any advice
When shading with your washes you are going to want to do the opposite and start light and build up darker. If you do that you can always add more darkness to the shade, if not you cant erase dark to make it lighter if that make sense. This is a big piece to do with a lot of shading and detail to it. I for sure would put it down on practice skin first especially if you are unsure of how the shading will work. Just wanted to give the friendly advice, do not take on more then you can do. After all it is your reputation on the line. Sometimes it's best to turn down a tattoo that may be beyond your level of skill at this point. I am just speaking from my own experiences, but personally I would not attempt this piece unless I was 100% confident in my ability to shade smooth.