Some Practice on Pigskin.

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Here's a few of the first tattoos I've actually completed on pig skin. I've done many others in the past, but never really finished any, as I was mainly just practicing linework. This time I tried my hand at shading. This is pretty much my first attempt at any type of non-solid colour.

I realised I used a far-too-big liner for the tiny tats (I've run out of smaller liners), but I was mainly practicing shading, so that's where I'm mainly looking for critique :) Thanks.

260002_2077769740042_1118966117_32512933_1413969_n.jpg 254531_2077773540137_1118966117_32512935_7568526_n.jpg 260361_2077767339982_1118966117_32512932_7569178_n.jpg 252942_2077771420084_1118966117_32512934_3011592_n.jpg

Remove Ads

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Hi Rachael, Nice work...the thicker lines look good on the tats,they look old school,the shading is good,just one thing,when shading the outside of the clouds,try to blend the shade a little more,so it looks a little softer....when shading,mix several tones of black...start light & build up the tones as you want them...keep up the good work.....:thumbsup:

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
They look good. I agree with skinpix to blend you shading more though. :icon_biggrin:

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Thanks for the all comments, guys.

When you say mix different tones, do you mean dillute it? If so, what would you suggest to be the best liquid to mix with the ink? I've read so many different things, from simple tap water to witch hazel or even alcohol! (I imagine that would sting...?)

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Thanks for the all comments, guys.

When you say mix different tones, do you mean dillute it? If so, what would you suggest to be the best liquid to mix with the ink? I've read so many different things, from simple tap water to witch hazel or even alcohol! (I imagine that would sting...?)
Hi,
the way i do my shades is as follows.....
Put out 5 large ink caps...first cap,1 drop black ink...2nd,2 drops,3rd,3drops & so on,& also have a cap full of neat black.....top up all the caps with distilled water,give them a stir with a cocktail stick...there you have all the black tones you will need...hope this helps...happy tattooing.;)

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Hi,
the way i do my shades is as follows.....
Put out 5 large ink caps...first cap,1 drop black ink...2nd,2 drops,3rd,3drops & so on,& also have a cap full of neat black.....top up all the caps with distilled water,give them a stir with a cocktail stick...there you have all the black tones you will need...hope this helps...happy tattooing.;)
Ahh, that makes sense now. Thank you. Where do you get distilled water from? Is there a reason you use distilled water, and not tap water or bottled water?

Snoogins

Basic
First Name
Mike
Is there a reason you use distilled water, and not tap water or bottled water?
I think it's something to do with the impurities in normal tap water. I have a friend who works in a studio and he mixes all his grey washes with listerine mouthwash. Something the guy who apprenticed him passed on. He uses the yellow one that smells god awful but his black and grey work looks spot on. I might have to give it a try.

Loving the old school stuff btw, the thick lines really suit this sort of tattoo and the shading is top notch.

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Correct...there are no impurities in distilled water...tap water has chlorine in it,amongst other things.....i got my distilled water from Robert dyas... & yes, you can use listerine,but it has to be the original one....

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Ahh, I gathered that's why, but I just thought.. Hey, I wash myself (and my wounds) with tap water and no harm ever came of it. But, yes, I realise that it's always better to be extra cautious when tattooing someone!

I suspect it might be easier to get hold of the Listerine than the distilled water (I can't think that I've ever actually seen distilled water for sale). The yellow one, you say? Thanks, I'll have a look out for it in future :)

And thank you, Snoogins. The old school tats are my fave! I really should start practicing some other stuff, but I'm always drawn to old school / Sailor Jerry style designs when I'm browsing through tattoo flash :p

Goldwingdaz

Premium Plus
First Name
Daz
Just found this, love the work, im just starting out myself, all tips here have been noted, thanks everyone.