Some Skin Won't Take Ink !

Morpheus59

Tattoo Enthusiast
Premium
First Name
Randy Higgins
OK, I've done well over 100 tattoos now and on a couple of occasions I have tattooed a person whose skin doesn't seem to want to take ink. In the latest instance, I lined the design with a 7RL and the line was very fine, more like a 3, and after about a half hour I could barely make out the lines at all. Then shading ( black, with a 7RS ) I had to go over and over it to get a good solid black.It seems to happen to 'pudgy' girls who smoke, would this have something to do with it? I haven't changed needle or ink brands or anything else, it just seems that some people don't take the inkwell at times.Very frustrating. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Any advice?

Patrick

Premium Gold
First Name
Patrick
Hi Randy

Could you post some photos on the site, this would give us all a better idea of what the problem might be. I have had a similar problem in the past, but I think this was because I didn't stretch the skin properly. The person in question was quite large so it was difficult to stretch the skin, she did also smoke but I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not.

LMR

Premium
First Name
Luke
i agree the most common cause of this problme is the skin not being tight enough then the needle just bounces of the skin... try tight liners they puncher better :thumbsup:

skinpix

Premium
First Name
Mark
Hi Randy,
i agree with Luke & Patrick,it's much harder to get good skin stretch on larger people,so the needles tend to bounce off the skin rather than go in...next time you tattoo someone on the large side,get someone to help you stretch the skin,hope this helps...let us know how you get on.

Morpheus59

Tattoo Enthusiast
Premium
First Name
Randy Higgins
I worked in very small sections in order to be able to stretch the skin enough and It was taking color just not well. Hard to explain but I told her to come back in a month an we will go over it all again.
dscf64202.jpg

Cybernetic

Basic
First Name
Richard
Thought you were going to say come back in a month when you have lost some pounds! That would have gone down a storm. :)

floydyboygt

Basic
First Name
floyd
A lot of bigger built people also have thicker and tougher skin. When you eat a lot of sugary drinks and foods your insulin levels spike making all your body go into overdrive, including skin growth. Handy for bodybuilders because they burn it off and use the extra insulin but not for fatties lol. And yes the fat under the skin makes it very spongy and bouncy lol so stretching the skin as well as you can is a must

Pizzalicious

Premium
First Name
James
I’m a chubby guy and I have to stretch my thigh skin as much as possible. So much so, last time I worked on it, my shoulder was sore for about 4 days. You have to seriously stretch it. At the same time, not over stretching it. I can’t wait to tattoo a skinny person.