specific pen to use when tracing a stencil?

AllOutGraphics

Premium
First Name
Michael
Any suggestions on what pen to use when tracing on tracing paper on top of stencil paper? I have used some random pens around the house and my standard ball point pen works for the first 10 to 20mm, but then no longer works. I have to move to regular paper, draw a line to get the ink flowing, then return back to the stencil paper.

Seems like such a small silly question, but thought I would ask.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
have the design you want on regular copy paper, lay that on the purple sheet of the spirit paper then trace directly over the design. Easy peasy and regular paper is pretty easy to get a stencil on with.

Tris

Premium
First Name
Tristan
Any suggestions on what pen to use when tracing on tracing paper on top of stencil paper? I have used some random pens around the house and my standard ball point pen works for the first 10 to 20mm, but then no longer works. I have to move to regular paper, draw a line to get the ink flowing, then return back to the stencil paper.

Seems like such a small silly question, but thought I would ask.
I put my design on normal paper the put it on top of my stencil paper( i use the spirit freehand classic stuff) then onto a clipboard and use any pen on draw on the normal paper pressing firmly, when you take it away the design will be on the stencil paper, just cut it out and its good to go. I prefer it this way as sometimes you lose detail on the stencil.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
As I always tattoo motifs with very fine lines (or no lines) all pens always were too fat, so i used an embroidery needle instead, with a blunt tip. (Never hand trace anymore though).

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
I put my design on normal paper the put it on top of my stencil paper( i use the spirit freehand classic stuff) then onto a clipboard and use any pen on draw on the normal paper pressing firmly, when you take it away the design will be on the stencil paper, just cut it out and its good to go. I prefer it this way as sometimes you lose detail on the stencil.

Do what TexasPT says, skip the thin paper and just use the printer paper as your stencil. You can also get some 60 or 70 grams paper which is thinner for your printer. The harder you press, the thicker the lines and 'details' .

Most gel pens [with a hard tip] will work just fine.

hdlc

Premium
Media
First Name
henry
Zebra .05 hard lead. It lets me lighten up the hand stencil carbon on the copy paper.