December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Spotty Shading: Need Advice

Flemingtm94

Basic
First Name
Tray
So I am new to tattooing and I am very picky about certain projects that require a lot of shading. When I use a circular motion to shade, certain areas are always lighter than the others. I tend to use the same sized shading needle as the outline. So if I used a 7RL for the outline, I would use a 7RS as well.

Remove Ads Close
First Name
Chris
Shading in my opinion is done with a mag. Are you talking about packing color? As far as using the same size needles. That depends on the piece and the size of it. I personally don't use rs's. You can do pretty much anything with a mag.

Last edited:

Goldwingdaz

Premium Plus
First Name
Daz
Have to agree, shading depends on size of piece and finish required to decide what needle to use. There are too many variables to simply use same size as liner, unless it is simply to practice techniques. Uniformity over a large area with a round shader is extremely difficult.

First Name
Chris
IMO you can overwork and cause damage to the skin faster using a rs. Like Daz said it is difficult to get uniformity over a large area with a rs let alone it taking twice the amount of time to do it as compared to the right sized mag with proper technique. That's my 2 cents worth.

Flemingtm94

Basic
First Name
Tray
Shading in my opinion is done with a mag. Are you talking about packing color? As far as using the same size needles. That depends on the piece and the size of it. I personally don't use rs's. You can do pretty much anything with a mag.
Packing in the color and making a smooth transition throughout is my problem. I didn't know if the needles were the problem or my technique or just BOTH tbh.

First Name
Chris
Agree with Patch, post a few pics. It would be much easier for us to help you.