P Spring Tensions Throw and Gaps??

inkstylus

Premium
First Name
Martin
ok ive recently bought new springs and armature bars for my machines.
i wondering if there is a correct gap and tension that im supposed to use between the under side of the A bar and the coils?

and should the gap and tension be diffrent for lining colouring and shading?

Last edited:

stretch561

Premium
First Name
stretch
i had someone ask this not to long ago but ill give it a go again. The tension on the rear spring is different from shader and liner....but it also depends on how the stroke. LINER #1 short stroke for single pass 450-450 grams of tension on the back spring. SHADER #1 for greywash/fill long stoke about to knickles front contact screw to spring 375-400 grams of tension. Shader#3 for under shading greywash short stroke 450-475 grams tension. Color packer #375 grams of tension. These arent set in stone they have worked very well for me, im actually changing two of my setups on here to something else that allows me to layer colors with out trashing the skin ill just be able to keep going over in one spot. As far as the gap between the bottom of the armature bar and the top of the coil....when you make the roll in your rear spring and hook up the A-bar and tighten down the spring the gap will be set already set. are you front springs bent or rolled....where did you get them....its better to roll the springs so there is not as much stress on the spring once it hits the contact screw it will actually be absord through the whole entire spring. i hope this helps.

simon1983

Premium
First Name
Simon
i had someone ask this not to long ago but ill give it a go again. The tension on the rear spring is different from shader and liner....but it also depends on how the stroke. LINER #1 short stroke for single pass 450-450 grams of tension on the back spring. SHADER #1 for greywash/fill long stoke about to knickles front contact screw to spring 375-400 grams of tension. Shader#3 for under shading greywash short stroke 450-475 grams tension. Color packer #375 grams of tension. These arent set in stone they have worked very well for me, im actually changing two of my setups on here to something else that allows me to layer colors with out trashing the skin ill just be able to keep going over in one spot. As far as the gap between the bottom of the armature bar and the top of the coil....when you make the roll in your rear spring and hook up the A-bar and tighten down the spring the gap will be set already set. are you front springs bent or rolled....where did you get them....its better to roll the springs so there is not as much stress on the spring once it hits the contact screw it will actually be absord through the whole entire spring. i hope this helps.
Hi just a quick question. whats the best way to make the roll in the back spring please??

lordbaalnox

Premium
First Name
Lee
Hi just a quick question. whats the best way to make the roll in the back spring please??
I fit the rear spring to the machine loosen the screw, swivel it out 90degrees and the push up on the armature bar to put a bend in it until I get an air gap (gap between the underside of the armature bar and the front coil of about 2 - 3mm, I cannot test tensions as i do no have a gauge yet but find that if I use an 18g rear fat width spring then it feels right for lining and I use a thin 18g rear for colour, and a 16g rear for shading