Starting a Little Later in Life.

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
You do have to be bloody minded and just keep at it. It isn't an easy career to change to, but it is worth it in the long run. I still get a buzz when I meet new people and they ask what I do and I can say 'tattoo artist'!

Remove Ads

stevie_stevo

Premium
First Name
Steve
You do have to be bloody minded and just keep at it. It isn't an easy career to change to, but it is worth it in the long run. I still get a buzz when I meet new people and they ask what I do and I can say 'tattoo artist'!
I dream of being able to say that!!!!!!!!

First Name
Marcos
I'm 40 years old. To me, this is a tad late in life to get started in tattooing. I'm not letting it stop me, and my husband has been really encouraging, but I still have a few doubts about it because I know it takes years to become really good. Are any of you getting started at this a little later in life too?

I've been drawing since around the age of 7 or so, with some breaks here and there, but I've always had a love and appreciation for art. I sit back and think, ya know, why did I wait so long? When I was younger and people told me "you'll never make money at art" I listened to them, and kick myself for doing that.
I'm 64 and finally decided to give it a go. It's never too late to persue a dream. One can learn anything at any point in life. Never give in to second guessing.

First Name
Elisha
I'm 40 years old. To me, this is a tad late in life to get started in tattooing. I'm not letting it stop me, and my husband has been really encouraging, but I still have a few doubts about it because I know it takes years to become really good. Are any of you getting started at this a little later in life too?

I've been drawing since around the age of 7 or so, with some breaks here and there, but I've always had a love and appreciation for art. I sit back and think, ya know, why did I wait so long? When I was younger and people told me "you'll never make money at art" I listened to them, and kick myself for doing that.
Hey! I know I'm a bit late to the party on this thread, but I really think you should ignore all of the negativity you're starting to manifest!
There is never a 'too late' for anything. After all, if you didn't grab life by the balls, you'd really regret it! Life is wayyyy to short to be worrying about these things, enjoy everyday and maximise it as much as you can! There is no age limit on tattooing, and that's amazing.
You're a badass!:)
xx

Ronan73

Premium
First Name
Ronan
I'm pleased to read this. My story is very similar. art and engineering college 25 yrs ago then life got in the way..not anymore. I wont hijack this thread but just to say its one more thing that has given me confidence to carry on at 47.

Pizzalicious

Premium
First Name
James
35 years old here. I have wanted to become a tattoo artist since I was 20, drawing since forever ago it seems like. I had some personal roadblocks to why I didn’t go through with it back then. Tried again when I was about 27. I got an apprenticeship, again, which was a joke (learned nothing and was surrounded by drugs). Left that shop and thought I was done with it. Here I am, 35, still can’t tattoo. I still have personal reasons that I struggle with why tattooing isn’t right for me. But, I love it. It’s weird and complicated and I’m trying to find another apprenticeship.

Ronan73

Premium
First Name
Ronan
I think ive given up on an apprenticeship. I was offered one a few weeks ago but would cost £5000.00 CASH up front. so I asked around because as much as its something I really want I am older and much wiser than I was in my mid 20s and thank all the gods that I did. The guy is less than reputable and thats all I shall say. But without the life experience I may be £5000.00 out of pocket and probably have learnt less than I have taught myself spending 6 hours a day drawing, tattooing fake skins, listening to very very experienced tattooists on line than I would have cleaning tubes and making tea for that other guy.
Yes its frustrating being black balled because of our age but as someone who ran his own company for a long time I ask why..and I now know its because a 40 yr old would NOT get treated like a slave for 6 months before they learned anything. those who didnt experience that seem to be the minority...so maybe we swerved a bullit by not going down that road. I nearly did about 20 yrs ago like pizzalicious and lots of others on this thread.
and 1 more thing...a big shoutout to help me tattoo website for being there for people like us.

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
I'm pleased to read this. My story is very similar. art and engineering college 25 yrs ago then life got in the way..not anymore. I wont hijack this thread but just to say its one more thing that has given me confidence to carry on at 47.
I started my apprenticeship at 49. Keep going!

mario-cy-74

Premium
First Name
Marie
I totally understand where you're coming from Ronan - I'm desperate to find an apprenticeship and feel like my life is ticking by (be it at a rapid rate). All of the studios I have approached are either too busy or not taking on apprentices and I just don't know what to do. Any help or suggestions is also greatly appreciated.

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
I totally understand where you're coming from Ronan - I'm desperate to find an apprenticeship and feel like my life is ticking by (be it at a rapid rate). All of the studios I have approached are either too busy or not taking on apprentices and I just don't know what to do. Any help or suggestions is also greatly appreciated.
I got my apprenticeship from Big tattoo planet. Have you looked there? It took me a while to get it so keep trying

mario-cy-74

Premium
First Name
Marie
I got my apprenticeship from Big tattoo planet. Have you looked there? It took me a while to get it so keep trying
Thanks Rachel. I've just tried to join that site and it won't le me register. Tried searching for apprentice and there are no posts but I wonder if that's because I'm not registered.

Can anyone recommend any other good sources or forums to try?

aaaaaaaa

Basic
First Name
Anastasia
Wow, you guys are really inspiring! I started practicing about 6 months ago, soon after turning 31. I developed an interest in tattoos very late and actually did the first two ever on myself during the Covid quarantine. So if anyone tells you that you can’t tattoo if you don’t have any tattoos already, don’t listen to that noise!

Mayhem0927

Basic
First Name
David
Wow - I’m feeling much better about myself starting at 50 than I did before finding this site!! Always been into tats and art in general. Close to retirement from my government job and feel like it’s time to do something for me- so I’m spending time learning to tattoo and working on my music! Best of luck to all

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Wow - I’m feeling much better about myself starting at 50 than I did before finding this site!! Always been into tats and art in general. Close to retirement from my government job and feel like it’s time to do something for me- so I’m spending time learning to tattoo and working on my music! Best of luck to all
I find that having a certain age and some experience in the art field is truly a plus.

Peace,

DKJ

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
One plus to being older is that customers tend to have more trust in you. I don't know if it is an age thing or because they assume that you've been doing it for 25 years! Also as a woman I've had a few younger women (late teens and early 20s) say that they would have felt more nervous going to be tattooed by a man, especially on their body where they would have to be half dressed. Obviously as long as you are professional it shouldn't matter, but that is how they see it.

Last edited: