P Stencil disapearing while tattooing

GWFH

Premium Plus
First Name
Valentin
valentin.chagny_tattoo
Hey guys,

I feel a little idiotic asking this question now that I've been tattoing for 6 months, but I still have some issues with my stencils and it's really bothering me. It's not that my stencils don't stick at all ; but thay have a tendancy to fade pretty quicky over time. For quick tattoos, that's not a problem ; but for tattos that are long and detailed, it's been very annoying, since I have to draw again on the skin with a skin pen, or worst, applying the stencil a second time mid-tattoo (you can see the reasons why this is not optimal at all). I don't understand how some Youtube / Instagram artists succeed in applying stencils that are still perfect, like, 3 hours after the tattoo process began.
So if you allow me, I'll describe in this post the detailed process I use to apply a stencil ; maybe you can tell where I'm doing wrong.

1) tracing the design on the carbon paper (ATSUI brand, cf pic) with a ballpoint pen
2) shaving the skin with a one-blade razor, without any soap
3) rubbing 70 degres alcool on the stencil area, and letting the alcool dry
4) Applying a knob of Electrum (cf pic)
5) If I think there is too much Electrum, patting gently the skin with a paper towel
6) Letting the Electrum dry for like 10-20 sec so it is tacky
7) Applying the stencil paper in one stroke (most of the time anyway ^^)
8) Maintaining the stencil paper on the skin for 10-15 sec, pressuring and patting it
9) removing the stencil paper
10) Letting the carbon dry for 15 min (theses are the recommandations of Electrum brand)
11) While tattoing, I don't use soap to wipe the ink, juste patting it or wiping it whith a paper towel (until the outline is done)
12) I touch the stencil a lot with my stretching hand, but I suppose everyone does it (?)

It seems that this is my stretching hand that erases the stencil. I can see it fade althouth I didn't start to tattoo the upper parts. I'm a little lost here... An erasing stencil causes a lot of stress (feeling that the tattoo is a race against time), makes me loose a lot of time (drawing again, etc...), and feeling like an idiot in front of the person I'm tattoing. Any thoughts, dear friends ?

EDIT : didn't see that Moonie wrote a stencil related-post saturday...

Attachments

Last edited:

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
I used Atsui once...lost my stencil fast

Spirit is where it's at for me. Made all the difference in the world. Maybe my technique got better at the same time? :)

When I know my stretching hand is going to be on the stencil, I put a paper-towel under the heel of my hand.

Also...that thin..and I mean thin layer of A&D keeps ink over the stencil, not into the stencil. Simply wipe toward the spot you've already tattooed (and I use a dry towel until I get to shading and color because the A&D works to buffer the wipe and the wipe is very gentle)

GWFH

Premium Plus
First Name
Valentin
valentin.chagny_tattoo
I used Atsui once...lost my stencil fast

Spirit is where it's at for me. Made all the difference in the world. Maybe my technique got better at the same time? :)

When I know my stretching hand is going to be on the stencil, I put a paper-towel under the heel of my hand.

Also...that thin..and I mean thin layer of A&D keeps ink over the stencil, not into the stencil. Simply wipe toward the spot you've already tattooed (and I use a dry towel until I get to shading and color because the A&D works to buffer the wipe and the wipe is very gentle)
Thanks Mark ! I've ordered Spirit last week, so I will be able to compare and to do a quick feedback of my experience. The paper towel under the stretching hand is also a nice tip, I'll try that ! :)

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Val, and all interested, i was using spirit paper and spirit application liquid, but it didn't work well for me. The stencil was always fading out with vaseline and green soap.

So i followed Mark's advice to wash and rub hard the skin with alcohol (70% for me) and the stencil couldn't go away after like 20 wipes at the end of the tattoo. It has been staying crazy well on my client's skin.
I did put just a drop of liquid, applied the stencil, looking for just a little darker color through the paper(meaning the ink is "slurping" the liquid), waited a minute and took it off. The paper was really adhering to the skin.
I took it off slowly to see if some lines were missing, and added just a little sweat of liquid and pushed the paper back on it (on the missing parts).
After that i waited 10 mins and all when real good on that aspect.

So alcohol may be the solution to all your problems.
Your stencil problems of course.

Peace,

DKJ

GWFH

Premium Plus
First Name
Valentin
valentin.chagny_tattoo
Val, and all interested, i was using spirit paper and spirit application liquid, but it didn't work well for me. The stencil was always fading out with vaseline and green soap.

So i followed Mark's advice to wash and rub hard the skin with alcohol (70% for me) and the stencil couldn't go away after like 20 wipes at the end of the tattoo. It has been staying crazy well on my client's skin.
I did put just a drop of liquid, applied the stencil, looking for just a little darker color through the paper(meaning the ink is "slurping" the liquid), waited a minute and took it off. The paper was really adhering to the skin.
I took it off slowly to see if some lines were missing, and added just a little sweat of liquid and pushed the paper back on it (on the missing parts).
After that i waited 10 mins and all when real good on that aspect.

So alcohol may be the solution to all your problems.
Your stencil problems of course.

Peace,

DKJ
I think you're right, but I used alcohol before and it didn't work. Alcohol is important, but the paper's brand too : since I switched from ATSUI to Spirit, all my problems are gone (my stencil problems of course ^^).
What brand do you guys use ?

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I think you're right, but I used alcohol before and it didn't work. Alcohol is important, but the paper's brand too : since I switched from ATSUI to Spirit, all my problems are gone (my stencil problems of course ^^).
What brand do you guys use ?
Spirit seems to be the brand used the more...

Peace,

DKJ

CasperEGL

Premium
First Name
Casper
I've found that products like Hustle butter deluxe really makes a difference to both the stencil staying + making everything else a better experience. You could also try to let the stencil dry a little more/longer? I often do the stencil first, and then set up the station while it dries. Also I use spirit. Seems like the best for the price. :)

GWFH

Premium Plus
First Name
Valentin
valentin.chagny_tattoo
You could also try to let the stencil dry a little more/longer? I often do the stencil first, and then set up the station while it dries.
Agreed. I did a little experiment on myself two weeks ago : I applied 4 stencils on myself and let them dry 5, 10, 15 and 20 minutes respectively. I then wiped'em with both dry paper towel and paper towel plus soap. The results were unequivocal : the more the time a stencil dry, the more it sticks well, even with soap !

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
But don't you all find it hard to wait while the client is just sitting there? Feels like 30sec is like 15min.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
leave stuff to do...I stencil, then I set out ink caps, fill cups, put up barrier on lamps/ps. And I flat out tell them...we're going to let that dry five minutes so it's there in ten. :)

hdlc

Premium
Media
First Name
henry
I have a stencil paper that can be traced by hand. I use stencil stuff to apply. I avoid using green soap as much as possible. I get a sheet of folded paper towel. I apply a thin layer of Vaseline up until the halfway part. This allows me to push the ink to the side without staining the stencil with smeared ink and done gently. I suck up the extra ink with the dried side and continue.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Do I understand you right if you mean you put some vaseline on the tissue, not the skin?