Stencil Rubbing Off

callumgeorge

Premium
First Name
george
hi all I have got a thermal copier, the stencil always seems to rub off never stays on like when you see on tv they clean off still there I clean off not there, I do leave it to dry would it be the stencil paper not that good or am I doing something wrong

Remove Ads

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
A few things i find to make a stencil stay.
Firstly SPIRIT brand paper from a reputable supplier which will get the stuff from the US and not China.
ALWAYS shave the area whether it looks ok or not, and ALWAYS wash down with green soap before applying the stencil to get all the greasiness from the skin.

Work from bottom right hand side(If you are right handed), that way you do not have your hand resting in the stencil, and try and dab the ink off rather than rubbing it.

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
shave the area clean off with dettol/water mixed in a spray bottle,for the next part an old empty ink bottle i find works best,, fill the bottle with neat dettol and squeeze a few drop onto the skin and rub it around to spread(wet) the skin, leave it go "sticky" (not wet but not dry you will know wen its "sticky" ;) then apply your stencil, i personally havent found anything better than neat dettol as a stencil "fluid" and will not come off easy(espesialy when you get the stencil in slighty the wrong place or angle lol) then when your in progress of doing the tattoo have just distilled water in a spray bottle or squezzy bottle to clean up the tattoo as you go ;) a couple goes at this way youl suss it out ;) :icon_cheesygrin: hope this helps

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
I do the same as James but clean the skin with alcohol/distilled water to degrease and clean the area first and I have Dettol and distilled water mixed in a spray bottle to clean the tattoo as I go.

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
I do the same as James but clean the skin with alcohol/distilled water to degrease and clean the area first and I have Dettol and distilled water mixed in a spray bottle to clean the tattoo as I go.
the problem with using dettol/water mix to cleen down with i found is it makes the skin more red,sorter like aggitates the skin, so if i need to real good clean ill use a greensoap/water mix but the problem with the greensoap/water mix if you not carefull it will take the stencil away if used to much,hense why i try to just use just diss water to clean as much as i can ;) im not saying my way is the right way its just how i do it ;) also try not to use dry paper towels to wipe as this aggitates (makes red) the skin ;)

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
I can recommend 'stencil magic' from the tattoo shop. Use sparingly and allow to almost dry. You must let the stencil thoroughly dry before you start the tat. I test by rubbing a tiny bit of pet jelly on bottom corner - if it smudges - wait, as it's not dry. Start at bottom and work up so hands aren't touching the stencil until you are working on that area. I wash down with diluted green soap and water - but not too often! Try n dab the ink off with kitchen towel - don't rub!

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
shave the area clean off with dettol/water mixed in a spray bottle,for the next part an old empty ink bottle i find works best,, fill the bottle with neat dettol and squeeze a few drop onto the skin and rub it around to spread(wet) the skin, leave it go "sticky" (not wet but not dry you will know wen its "sticky" ;) then apply your stencil, i personally havent found anything better than neat dettol as a stencil "fluid" and will not come off easy(espesialy when you get the stencil in slighty the wrong place or angle lol) then when your in progress of doing the tattoo have just distilled water in a spray bottle or squezzy bottle to clean up the tattoo as you go ;) a couple goes at this way youl suss it out ;) :icon_cheesygrin: hope this helps

Can I just ask... "Dettol"? How much water would you put in with it to create the mix? I use Greensoap/water and not thought of using Dettol... I tend to have problems with stencils rubbing off too....
:)

Last edited:

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Alcohol is a better skin cleaner than dettol / water hence the reason they use alcohol swabs prior to administering injections etc, interesting article here on the effectiveness of alcohol as a disinfectant, it mentions animals but obviously applies to human skin.

Another way to wash the ink of as you go and many tattooists in my area use, is anti bacterial washing up liquid mixed with boiled water.

www.aaalac.org/publications/Connection/Using_Alcohol_Disinfectant.pdf

chunkymonkey

Premium
First Name
Ian
Only a begginner myself but i use mike De'Vries "stencil stuff", after preping your area apply stencil stuff then stencil leave for 10 mins and jobs a gooden, i find powerlinetattoosupplies cheapest.

Spiral

Premium
First Name
martin
hi mate, as a guide to the way i apply my stencil, i clean the skin(greensoap mix) and shave skin, clean the skin (greensoap),again to remove any loose hair etc then clean skin(rubbing alcohol/dist water), then i use stencil stuff, apply stencil when stencil stuff is tacky,press and hold stencil in place and then remove, let it dry,then apply a small amount of a&d or vasaline etc work from the bottom up as you line. get my stencil stuff from powerline

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
All good advice in this thread:

1. Clean the area with some green soap, then dry the area.

2. Shave the area & dry.

3. Clean the area good, alcohol is a active ingredient in green soap. Alcohol also helps the stencil stick and stay put. (skin irritation & hot skin is due to the alcohol as well. If you use the green soap and do have it mixed to strong during the Tattoo and use it, that's when you get hot irritated skin. But before the tattoo, a little heat won't hurt for cleaning)

4. Now here is where I would apply stencil gel etc.. you do not want it dry before you put on your stencil & you for sure do not want it soaking wet.
The key to a good stencil is Sticky. Apply the stencil when the skin is sticky. (Sticky is what happens just before dry)

5. Apply stencil

6. Wait like 5min. then remove stencil.

7. Now you want to wait until dry and let that skin take a break from being hot etc.. Setup your machines pour your inks 10 min. and get ready to tattoo.

BFMT

Banned
First Name
CR
hi all I have got a thermal copier, the stencil always seems to rub off never stays on like when you see on tv they clean off still there I clean off not there, I do leave it to dry would it be the stencil paper not that good or am I doing something wrong

In Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo, the book - there is a whole chapter about different chemicals you can use to apply stencil.
I prefer "Stencil stuff"
Let it dry - and don't use too much - that will be the key to the smearing away.

Stencils are going to smear away though - just let them dry longer, and they last longer.

Also - sometimes I will just use Iso Alcohol - @ 70% in a spray bottle -
This works great for small stencils -
and once it dries - will def hold for a while...

Try not to put your hand over the stencil while it is still drying, or while you start tattooing on another section - this will prevent smearing away of the tattoo stencil.

Also plan your tattoo - take your time and think about where your hand will be placed - then you dont have to worry about the stencil smearing away.

Hope that helps - check out the book too!