Tattoo in to Cover Scars.. Advice Please

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
So a friend has asked me to design and tattoo so that she can have her scars on her arm hidden. The design she wanted isn't overly complicated. More like the picture below, in which she is very happy about.

joesdesign.jpg

Anyway, Without going into to much detail, these scar are self inflicted (to give you an idea of the type of scars I'm talking about) and they are slightly raised.

Will they be ok to tattoo over? I don't want to start and then discover a problem.

Thanks.

maggot

Premium
First Name
colin
its ok to tattoo over old scar tissue, I think recommended time is about 18 months. I have tattooed over a small scar on myself ok, did hurt more tho

ChrisWarren

Premium
First Name
Chris
Ive tattooed over a lot of surgery scars and such, The area tends to be a little more painful but quite easy to tattoo.

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
That's great thanks guys. Just wasn't sure if it would have some odd effect on the ink or ... umm... something. Thanks again.. :)

Tarantula

Premium
First Name
Jais
I seem to remember reading somewhere not to tattoo over raised scars, once they've healed enough they flatten out (usually). Also scar tissue sometimes doesn't take ink so well and may need a few touch ups.

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Ive tattooed over lots of scars, some self-inflicted, some surgical. It can be done, but it wont cover the texture. If the scar is raised, or cuts in like a trench it will still be there.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
I was always told to wait at least 12 months before tattooing over a scar and not to tattoo it if it was still raised, I was recently tattooed over my 43 year old appendix scar, it did hurt lol!