P Tattoo Machine Tuning

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
hi all i have recently had an issue with my machine it will not run at low voltage it wont kick in till it hits 10v i am sending that machine back to micky sharpz for them to fix but i dont want to be reliant on others to fix my machines i have striped down an old linner i have put it back together but it wont stop splutering i have set the gap right not sure any advice on tunning or regarding swapping springs to change a shader to a packer that tipe of stuff would like be able to sort my own probs out if im going to tattoo i need to get it delt with cheers;)

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
have you downloaded the tuning guide in the download section,its very useful.

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
photo2.jpg photo.jpg photo 1.jpg

have found a cheeper way to gauge the rear spring tension *£3 digital scales from ebay just get a needle bend it into a hook at the bottom place the needle on the armiture bar put the scale hook onto the needle and pull down untill the armitute bar hits the coils and take reading its not 100% but it does the job i have just tuned my gun with it and it has worked a treat its not easy to gauge it without some kind of meater hope this helps:thumbsup:

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
just noticed you have a micky sharpz machine, i have 2 of them and they both need around 10 volts to run properly, thats the norm with these machines apparantly according to into on the net. changing the spring guages will greatly help out apparantly

what tension have you set your rear spring to?

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
trying to get the sring to the right tension is a knightmare hope i get better at it next time round it took me a fare thew atemps to get it right feel better now tho i like to no i can fix it if needed:p

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
dunno if you just missed my other reply above ^
but what tension have you set your liner to?

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
sorry i didnt get the post i have set it at 470g or there abouts it normal for them to run at a high voltage then the machine now runs perfect at 10.5v no stutters at all

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
nice 1, mine runs ok without stutters at the mo, will see what i've got it set at when the scales arrive, just that it runs at about 140cps which seems insanely fast :cry:

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
is there a nack to adjusting the srings seem to pull the bar up quite alot but when you test it it doesnt seem to have made a massive difference it took me ages well chuffed i did it tho what power supply do you have i gues it has cps on it my shader runs at around the same as my micky

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
it takes a few atemps with the scales to get it right you have to try and hold it as soon as it makes contact with the coil utherwise a little bit of presure and it will give a false reading takes time but its cheep

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
I was looking at that one not so long back it works well then need to get one with cps

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
well worth the money, got my cheap old china machines setup and running properly in no time with it :cool:

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
My micky sharpz dial shader runs at 7.7v, without a murmur. Its lovely.
I have got an Eikon 300 supply, so i will get some proper readings when i get in later.

Personally, volts mean nothing. You can just tell by the sound, and also by the "thumb on the end of the bar" method, so it just slows it down as you touch it.
10v on any of my machines makes them sound like a remote control aeroplane. ;)
Coils wouldn't last a week!

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
not sure if my power packs reading wrong but my gun doesnt even kick in till around 9 v

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
gu tunning

now then back again right i have meterd the power pack its fine my mickey sharpz machine runs perfect with no load on it at around 8 v same with my shader but as soon as i add the load ie neeedle with bend and 2 bands it needs to be turned right up to around 12v before it runs as it should same with both guns any one help im loosing the will here dont want to blow my machines up both guns came fully set up and ready to go is the increase normal:eek:

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
hi reaper,when bending the needle bar,make sure it's only a slight bend,if you bend it to much it will rub on the inside of the tube & slow it down,as for the elastic bands,make sure they are the right size & not to tight,if you need to,just try one rubber band,lastly make sure your gap setting is correct....shader should be approx the thickness of a 2p........hope this helps mate.

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
have got the spring tension right and the gap is set the bands i bought from a tattoo store is it normal for the gun to struggle when its fully setup ie needs to be turned up a bit more

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
machine problems

Don't worry you have two good machines there so you are not going to do them any harm, in a few months time all this will be forgotten and you wont even look at what volt your machine is running at, you will know just by the sound it makes, good luck.

regards
Tony

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
i am happy with sound and they are both perorming well they dont stutter at all it does not efect my tattoing it just the volts are higher then people say they should be i am happy with everything if its not going to effect the guns life span everthing is set right tension gap is all set

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
that helps at least i no i have got it set up right looks like a thicker spring would decrease the volts on the machine am happy with it for now will see how it goes cheers for the link :thumbsup:

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
i've just purchased a set of color packing springs and a set of soft shading springs from this place http://shop.ebay.co.uk/relentlessirons/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p760

*£2.75 a set with delivery, shall see how i get on with them:cool:
they do a set for lining also but im happy with my liner at the moment

i've checked the recommendations on machinegun magazine issue 6 and they are the same configuration as recommended in there.

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
My micky sharpz dial shader runs at 7.7v, without a murmur. Its lovely.
I have got an Eikon 300 supply, so i will get some proper readings when i get in later.

Personally, volts mean nothing. You can just tell by the sound, and also by the "thumb on the end of the bar" method, so it just slows it down as you touch it.
10v on any of my machines makes them sound like a remote control aeroplane. ;)
Coils wouldn't last a week!
Right then, here are my readings:
Loaded with a 5RL, my Glynn Flew liner has a gap of around a 5p. 7.0Volts, 54% Duty, and 116 CPS.

My Micky Sharpz Dial Shader:
7 Mag, 8.5 Volts, Gap of a 2p, 46% Duty, and 126 CPS.

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
after alot of tinkering with my micky sharpz shader i got the similar readings as tattooz, took some adjusting tho i must admit! just still didnt seem very hard hitting tho

Reaper G

Premium
First Name
Paul g
How do they work then is the duty saposed to be at around 50% and cps does that vary depending on machine or do you set it cps and then the duty is what it is

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
Mcikey sharps

Well im not sure some machines are built to run at high voltage for sure but befor i sent them back i would check any thing that might work . Both MrSpoon an Skinpix have givin good advice an all i can suggest is a poss Phone call to the company an ask alot of questions if this helps :thumbsup: Ed

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
well i've tried using differeny guage sprngs etc and for me.... it just runs so much better around 9.5 volts, personal prefferance maybe? cps anywhere between 46-50% duty, cps between 113 and 119.
i've read a while ago that people have said they just cant get the write readings on the meter for this machine but it puts ink well and works for them so i wouldn't worry about the readings too much, i've given up on it now and just gone with what feels and sounds right :cool: