Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Tattoo scabbing

Jerry7297

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
To me thats exactly what it looks like. Overworking. You should never really get Hard scabs. It also looks like some of the ink fell out, could be from overworked skin as well. I am sure others will join in.

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
poor application

that's the short answer.

depth issues...it looks like you overworked the shit out of it but you only did it on the surface and never went deep enough on half of it to make it stick. (lucky break really)

Slow down
Stretch
make sure your depth is right

In the beginning I was so scared to over work skin I did the same thing. Then you realize, you have to work it a little.

First Name
DeJon
I think it’s also due to not having enough rubber bands

I added an extra and it was sounding like butter on 7v

And this was the outcome

Il post healing updates

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Not trying to be a dick...but if you fuck up your arm that much with the last tattoo why on earth do you feel it's a good idea to go back after it???? At least the other was fading away (divine intervention probably)...you may end up stuck with this one.

This is why you have thighs...and bananas...and reelskin...and cantaloupe.

First Name
DeJon
Not trying to be a dick...but if you fuck up your arm that much with the last tattoo why on earth do you feel it's a good idea to go back after it???? At least the other was fading away (divine intervention probably)...you may end up stuck with this one.

I strictly practice on my skin

Those things above you mention doesn’t have the healing process, it might sound dumb but I started straight away on skin due to my belief that the only way to get better on skin is to practice on skin and drawing of course for technique

But nothing is like tattooing skin except

Living human skin

The stretch, prep, healing process, depth etc

I’m a trail and error person

As long that I keep my station clean needles and everything sterile I will practice on myself to learn as I’m the only one who I practice on

“If ima f*ck someone skin up it’s gonna be my own skin first”

First Name
DeJon

Main thing about that piece was the stretch

My wife was at work so I had no one to stretch that part for me

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
I follow your logic to a point, but if you do your thighs you don't need your wife to stretch for you, obviously if your thighs are already inked i apologise.

First Name
DeJon
I follow your logic to a point, but if you do your thighs you don't need your wife to stretch for you, obviously if your thighs are already inked i apologise.
I’m starting a project on my thigh tonight

Will post results as it will be my first session on my lower body

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Definitely don't agree about real skin being the best to practice on, but not going to try to convince you of anything else. You obviously made up your mind already :giggle: Hope you're big so you have skin left when you're really getting use for it.

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
I understand where you're coming from but do think you underestimate the difference decent machine grip, hand speed and overall control can have on the finished product.

So in that sense practicing on alternatives will at least make sure your machine control isn't a factor in the equation and will make it easier for you to actualy focus on all the other stuff... which is plenty difficult already :giggle:

First Name
DeJon
I understand where you're coming from but do think you underestimate the difference decent machine grip, hand speed and overall control can have on the finished product.

So in that sense practicing on alternatives will at least make sure your machine control isn't a factor in the equation and will make it easier for you to actualy focus on all the other stuff... which is plenty difficult already :giggle:

Very good point, I don’t want to deal with pig skins so I will start on fake skins for everything you stated above

Thank you

Me16363

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Shaun
Try freehand on a grapefruit, it can really help with learning to control your machine. Like the guys above have already said get lots of practice before you work on the visible parts of your body, trust me, my legs have tattoos of varying quality done by myself, but I learned so much before I took my attempts to the next stage. (y)

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
...I will start on fake skins for everything you stated above
Nice! Hope it helps you forward. If not you have saved some of your own skin to go back to :ROFLMAO:

To make it slightly more realistic you can put the fake skin on a curved surface or strap it to your leg or someone else's.

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
I strictly practice on my skin

Those things above you mention doesn’t have the healing process, it might sound dumb but I started straight away on skin due to my belief that the only way to get better on skin is to practice on skin and drawing of course for technique

But nothing is like tattooing skin except

Living human skin

The stretch, prep, healing process, depth etc

I’m a trail and error person

As long that I keep my station clean needles and everything sterile I will practice on myself to learn as I’m the only one who I practice on

“If ima f*ck someone skin up it’s gonna be my own skin first”
I get all this...I really do. I guess I just don't understand why you would take the most visible part of your body to tattoo while you learn. especially a part that you can't stretch...which is part of the process...which is being omitted so how realistic is the practice?? You are practicing wrong and HOPING for a good outcome.

My thighs are covered from knee to hip...I get practicing on yourself. Trial and error happens from trial and error...not location.

You can do whatever you want...and we will help all we can. Since this is a learning site, here is my short critique:

Your tiger has depth issues all over the place
it has inconsistent fills in most of the places that are supposed to be solid black
Your tail has a corner in the curve
lines overlap and some run outside of where they should stop
it's just a bad design...you can't get good tattoos from poor designs.

what did you learn on this one by it being on your forearm that you couldn't have learned on 2 pounds of pig? The honest answer is NOTHING...all of these are application issues that can be identified and corrected BEFORE you got stuck with this thing on your arm.

You can walk around with shitty tattoos on your forearm if that's your thing. My point was that you don't have to...there are better ways to learn that will make you a better artist.

I'm not trying to come off harsh...but someone has to have a little honesty in this forum to help guys like you not mistakes like we did. This approach is the reason self-taught artists are so looked down on, and the reason I make good money on cover-ups.

troub1edsou1z

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Tom
i agree with Mark. You need to learn technique and control first which can be done on anything other then real skin. once you learn and understand that, apllication will come naturally......it's the age old saying....you need to learn to walk before you can run....

First Name
Joseph
I agree with most of the replies on this post defi
Definitely Mark's but as well should maybe think about the aftercare regimen your using. Most people don't realize that beyond the artists skill and level of their technique 85% of problems with the tattoo is due to the client's ability and knowledge of how to take care of it. This is more then just rubbing some lotion every now and then. You have to take into consideration the living conditions of the place you live how clean you live and so on. Anyway good luck and listen to these guys they helped me a whole hell of a lot when first starting out.

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
tattoos healed solid for decades before solid after care practices. Islanders got solid black with bone and ash....

I really think "they didn't take care of it" is a crap excuse by poor tattooers. That's just my opinion.

First Name
Joseph
tattoos healed solid for decades before solid after care practices. Islanders got solid black with bone and ash....

I really think "they didn't take care of it" is a crap excuse by poor tattooers. That's just my opinion.
Well with all due respect the best tattoo artists in the world are the ones I have learned that type of thinking from and well since a "BIG" portion of my business is cover ups from the "learn on your own crowd" I would say respectfully that I have seen first hand how badly poor aftercare can damage a great tattoo. But hey one man's opinion just trying to share it.

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
We can agree to disagree...but I think we can also agree. I think there are a lot of cases where aftercare is for sure a culprit. But I have also seen a lot of poorly applied tattoos and the artist go to is "poor aftercare". I realize my post sounded very absolute...It's not. If I'm picking at it...I'm not doing it any favors.

and with us "learn on your own crowd" types we tend to use excuses like, the ink, the machine, the client tapped, the client jumped, this is just the first session...I won't suck on the second one, etc. Some of us realize we just fucked up...and get better.

First Name
Joseph
Absolutely and really that's all I was getting on at is that it may be another scenario for them to think about I meant no dis respect at all I have been getting advice from reading your threads for three years now.

First Name
DeJon
Switched to rotary pen

Solved my problems

Went to aftercare studies and now I use

Saniderm Second Skin wrap

No scabbing, solid color

Will post updates later on the three pieces on my thigh after they heal

First Name
DeJon

Kuro Sumi’s Ink is a watered down pigment I had to redo the lines with MOMs black Onyx

Kuro Sumi Dragons Breath red was done with Coils since I don’t have shading cartridges at the moment

4.5v
11RL
7RS

I couldn’t get a deeper red without abusing the skin

1 day healed pic was taken after changing Saniderm

Vegan Platinum Rose Tattoo Butter

Then back to Second Skin Wrap

(I have started tattooing since April 8th 2019)

Last edited:

Jerry7297

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
Lining is better but still very inconsistent. Some look solid, some look scratchy. Lining is a hard skill to pick up. Stretching is very important, I have heard people say the skin needs to be tight like a drum. Never rush your lining, you will get better at it.

This piece also needs some black shading for dimension, very flat at the moment.

First Name
DeJon
Lining is better but still very inconsistent. Some look solid, some look scratchy. Lining is a hard skill to pick up. Stretching is very important, I have heard people say the skin needs to be tight like a drum. Never rush your lining, you will get better at it.

This piece also needs some black shading for dimension, very flat at the moment.
Thank you “flat as a drum” makes lots of practical sense

I couldn’t get over the pain in the thigh area it’s totally different than my hand so it was rushed but no excuses